10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2017 1:01 PM by Intel Corporation

Issue writing Linux Image to SD-Card,  dor Galileo

WanderingStoner

Today I made my first attempt at getting my Intel Galileo(Gen 2) set up.

Hard finding a startup-guide,  but I believe I have followed the steps accordingly :

1.) Download and install file extraction program. (check)

2.)Download iot-package(image) and extract files to get. Direct file.  (check)

3.) Download and install "WinImage writer"(something like that), extract. (save)

After that,  things get complicated for me.  The WinImgae thing isn't capable of seeing my direct file,  which i need written to my sd-card.

Is there a different ImageWriting program I can use,  or am I doing something wrong?

*Ridiculous that its this complicated to turn on thos little computer*

• 1. Re: Issue writing Linux Image to SD-Card,  dor Galileo
          FGT

Hi WanderingStoner,

WanderingStoner wrote:

Today I made my first attempt at getting my Intel Galileo(Gen 2) set up.

Hard finding a startup-guide, but I believe I have followed the steps accordingly...

You should start with a Linux image in an SD card, and load the code you want to run. Step-by-step guide for windows is at IoT - Step 1: Make a bootable micro SD card | Intel® Software , I suggest the manual method.

Did you already upgraded the firmware? Actually, the whole process guide starts at IoT - Getting Started with the Intel® Galileo Board on Windows* | Intel® Software for Windows, and it contains links to other OSs too.

After that, things get complicated for me. The WinImgae thing isn't capable of seeing my direct file, which i need written to my sd-card.

Is there a different ImageWriting program I can use, or am I doing something wrong?

Strange... would you please send a screenshot of the tool at run?

Fernando.

• 2. Re: Issue writing Linux Image to SD-Card,  dor Galileo
            WanderingStoner

I actually, intuitively, decided to complete the process using Linux as the host system instead,  and created the image manually. 

Im not completely sure if it worked,  but I do notice that three partitions have been made in my sd-card,  one of them 53mb, another 1.8GB, the 1.8GB partition has folders such as "boot" and "bin" made in it now. 

How can I know though,  if when i boot Galileo,  that it boots from the sd-card and everything actually worked?

And to answer your quesrion,  no,  i have not updated the firmware and I am not sure exactly where to begin with that.  Thanks for replying.  

• 3. Re: Issue writing Linux Image to SD-Card,  dor Galileo
              FGT

WanderingStoner wrote:

I actually, intuitively, decided to complete the process using Linux as the host system instead, and created the image manually.

I'd suggest you follow the step-by-step guide, starting at

IoT - Getting Started with the Intel® Galileo Board on Linux | Intel® Software

Im not completely sure if it worked, but I do notice that three partitions have been made in my sd-card, one of them 53mb, another 1.8GB, the 1.8GB partition has folders such as "boot" and "bin" made in it now.

If you follow the step-by-step guide then you do not need to confirm details like this one, the step-by-step guide usually works, I think. Anyhow, following the guide you can ask on the guide itself, not on your own ideas (which could be good, btw, but hard to document in general).

How can I know though, if when i boot Galileo, that it boots from the sd-card and everything actually worked?

If you have a Linux terminal on your Intel Galileo, the you will see two options at startup, and you can verify at runtime with some commands:

df

ls -la /

If you don't have access to a Linux console in your Intel Galileo just let me know and I'll send a sketch to see the output of those commands (in case you plan to develop with Arduino).

And to answer your quesrion, no, i have not updated the firmware and I am not sure exactly where to begin with that. 

Hmmm... I've been searching the Intel sites, and there seems to be nothing specific on the firmware (e.g. IoT - Troubleshooting and FAQ for the Arduino* IDE | Intel® Software) so never mind by now... maybe Intel people has solved the issues...

HTH,

Fernando.

• 4. Re: Issue writing Linux Image to SD-Card,  dor Galileo
                WanderingStoner

"You should start with a Linux image in an SD card, and load the code you want to run. Step-by-step guide for windows is at IoT - Step 1: Make a bootable micro SD card | Intel® Software , I suggest the manual method."

This is what I was actually going by. Part of the manual process is to use a program called Win32 Disk Imager, the program didn't work for me, so I had to complete the process in the Linux OS environment. Going to test if everything worked out now.

• 5. Re: Issue writing Linux Image to SD-Card,  dor Galileo
                  WanderingStoner

Nothing is working for me, don't even know where to begin at this point:

* I can't update firmware because the application cant detect the board in the COM port, even though I can launch putty and establish a serial terminal on the same port!

* I can't create the image for some reason or another, I try creating the Linux image in Windows and it doesn't work, Linux didn't work either.

It's been two days of going through the setup process, I think this device is to complicated and their isn't much of a support community. Im so frustrated, I want to just throw the thing away and accept the fact that Intel dissapointed/robbed  me, and just go check out some other boards with better community support, like raspberry PI or Arduino.

Im doing everything the guide is telling me to do, it shouldn't take this long to simply turn on and load an OS on a computer, which is practically what I'm attempting do. It's a shame, I thought Intel would be a player in the embedded realm, 70$ damn dollars I gave these people for nothing! Always a headache with trying to use this board. I think I give up. I'm going to move on.

• 6. Re: Issue writing Linux Image to SD-Card,  dor Galileo
                    FGT

WanderingStoner wrote:

"You should start with a Linux image in an SD card, and load the code you want to run. Step-by-step guide for windows is at IoT - Step 1: Make a bootable micro SD card | Intel® Software , I suggest the manual method."

This is what I was actually going by. Part of the manual process is to use a program called Win32 Disk Imager, the program didn't work for me, so I had to complete the process in the Linux OS environment. Going to test if everything worked out now.

Please read my first reply, where I asked you (copied):

would you please send a screenshot of the tool at run?

I can try to help, but please follow the suggestions and reply accordingly. I've never heard Win32DiskImager has failed, but maybe it can happen, so please start the program and tell me what's going on, basically by taking a screenshot and sending it.

Fernando.

• 7. Re: Issue writing Linux Image to SD-Card,  dor Galileo
                      FGT

WanderingStoner wrote:

Nothing is working for me, don't even know where to begin at this point:

* I can't update firmware because the application cant detect the board in the COM port, even though I can launch putty and establish a serial terminal on the same port!

* I can't create the image for some reason or another, I try creating the Linux image in Windows and it doesn't work, Linux didn't work either.

It's been two days of going through the setup process, I think this device is to complicated and their isn't much of a support community. Im so frustrated, I want to just throw the thing away and accept the fact that Intel dissapointed/robbed me, and just go check out some other boards with better community support, like raspberry PI or Arduino.

Im doing everything the guide is telling me to do, it shouldn't take this long to simply turn on and load an OS on a computer, which is practically what I'm attempting do. It's a shame, I thought Intel would be a player in the embedded realm, 70$ damn dollars I gave these people for nothing! Always a headache with trying to use this board. I think I give up. I'm going to move on.

Just in case you don't give up:

a) I can try to help mostly in the windows environment, where I can try to replicate your problems. Anyhow, I've never seen a Windows/Linux environment where Intel Galileo does not run.

b) Please tell me the environment where you want everything working, and where you are planning to develop (OS and OS version, mostly).

Fernando.

• 8. Re: Issue writing Linux Image to SD-Card,  dor Galileo
                        WanderingStoner

I believe my problem starts at having to update my firmware in Windows.  Can you Guide me through that,  because the step by step process isn't working for me.

• 9. Re: Issue writing Linux Image to SD-Card,  dor Galileo
                          FGT

WanderingStoner wrote:

I believe my problem starts at having to update my firmware in Windows. Can you Guide me through that, because the step by step process isn't working for me.

Please tell me the windows version you have. If you are working in a windows 10 computer, you should do just a few steps to have your Intel Galileo "Up & Running", as explained at Intel Galileo install in a brand new win10 computer - Arduino IDE. If you have a win10 computer and it does not work as in the link above, please let me know, I'd like to find out what the problem would be. If you have older versions of Windows, please let me know. I've installed drivers, IDE, etc. and Intel Galileo has always worked. Please also let me know if you have the serial cable to connect to your Intel Galileo via PuTTY serial communication and have a Linux terminal to work.

Please send all the requested information,

Fernando.

• 10. Re: Issue writing Linux Image to SD-Card,  dor Galileo
                            Intel Corporation
                            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi WanderingStoner,

We were wondering if you still need assistance with this case. We want to help you resolve the issues you may have with the Galileo board. Please reply with all the information FGT requested.

We’ll be waiting for your response.

-Sergio