9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 9:00 AM by rguevara

How Do I Install Win 7 64bit on NUC5PGYH?

Sys.Admin

Bought a NUC5PGYH and want to put Win 7 Pro 64bit on it. I used Rufus to put ISO on USB and then Windows 7 USB 3.0 Creator Utility v3 afterwards. I boot to USB on the NUC and I get to the Installer > choose Custom Install > and there is no Drives. I don't see a partition, and I can't make a Partition. Let me know if you need any addional info. Thank you in advance for your help.

Below is some websites I used for info:

This one helped me when I couldn't get Keyboard and Mouse to work.

Installing Windows 7 on the NUC5CPYH or NUC5PPYH (Braswell NUC) - Also valid for Skylake NUC! - The NUC Blog

Install Windows 7* on Computers with USB 3.0

This one told me to use Rufus

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/Windows-7-UEFI-Installation.pdf

• 1. Re: How Do I Install Win 7 64bit on NUC5PGYH?
          N.Scott.Pearson

So, I have to ask: the PGY units come with Windows 10 already installed on the eMMC. The cost of this unit included the license fee for this O/S. Do you really want to abandon this license? It cannot be used on any other PC.

The short answer to your question is that you can't install Windows 7 to the eMMC. Quite simply, Windows 7 does not have support for eMMC devices and there is no add-on driver that you can download. Bottom line, Windows 7 will never be able to see this device.

If you truly want to use Windows 7, your only option is to treat your PGY unit as a PPY unit (in essence, a PGY is a PPY with an eMMC (and Windows 10 license) added to it). That is, install a 2.5" SSD/SSHD/HDD into the unit and install Windows 7 onto that.

Hope this helps (I know it disappoints),

...S

• 2. Re: How Do I Install Win 7 64bit on NUC5PGYH?
            Sys.Admin

Hello, thank you for the information. This is for use in a business and they're trying to keep everything windows 7. I did install a SSD into the NUC but it's still not letting me find the drives to create the partition.

• 3. Re: How Do I Install Win 7 64bit on NUC5PGYH?
              N.Scott.Pearson

Makes sense; Microsoft claims Windows 10 has better security - but they are not counting all of the data that is routinely leaked to them by Windows 10.

You installed a (SATA III) SSD into the system but still cannot see it? You should be able to see all such drives. Hhmmm... What is the make and model no. for the SSD? Are you using UEFI? Just to be sure, it is the the Windows 7 installation partition selection scene where you are not seeing the drive/partitions, right?

...S

• 4. Re: How Do I Install Win 7 64bit on NUC5PGYH?
                Sys.Admin

The SSD is a Patriot Blast PBT120GS25SSDR. I am able to see the SSD on the boot menu. The issue is when I get to the Partition Selection screen. Pictures are below.

IMG_8070.JPGIMG_8071.JPGIMG_8072.JPG

I am using UEFI and also chose Windows 7 as the OS Selection for UEFI Boot in the BIOS.

IMG_8073.JPG

I contacted Intel and got a document on how to create the USB. Ive attached it Windows 7 installation on 6 Generation Intel Nuc's.pdf

• 5. Re: How Do I Install Win 7 64bit on NUC5PGYH?
                  N.Scott.Pearson

You shouldn't need a device driver to use a SATA III SSD at all. Hhmmm, let me run a test or two and see what I can see (it may take me until tomorrow)...

BTW, if your plan was to use Windows 7 all along, why purchase the PGY unit? That is, why not purchase the less-expensive PPY unit, which has the same motherboard but the eMMC is not installed? Was the idea to use the eMMC for the system drive and thus leave the SATA III drive bay for a second (data) drive of some sort?

...S

• 6. Re: How Do I Install Win 7 64bit on NUC5PGYH?
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Sys.Admin,

In regard to your concern, at the following link, you will be able to confirm the OS supported for your NUC:

Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products

I see that you complete the steps of our guide. 2 of my partners already have done the steps with success.

At this point, my recommendation is to try with a Third Party Software, for the installation of Windows 7.

Please let me know how it goes in order to further assist you if required.

Regards,

Angie

• 7. Re: How Do I Install Win 7 64bit on NUC5PGYH?
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Ok, here's the results of my testing:

1. Added SATA III SSD (OCZ Trion100 256GB) to system via drive bay.
                      2. Used F2 to enter BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS).
                      3. Clicked on Advanced, then Boot and then Boot Configuration. Set O/S Selection to Windows 7 and then used F10 to exit Visual BIOS with a save.
                      4. During the reboot, I again used F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
                      5. Clicked on Advanced, Devices and Peripherals and then Onboard Devices.  I verified that the eMMC Built-in Storage parameter had automatically been unchecked (disabled) and grayed out so it could not be checked (enabled).
                      6. [Aside: I also verified that the SD Card parameter was also automatically set to Disabled and grayed out. This is because the SD Card bay also isn't supported under Windows 7].
                      7. Inserted my Windows 7 install disk. This is a USB 3.0 flash disk that was loaded from Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installation ISO using Rufus (so it has UEFI support). I manually added the USB 3.0 drivers to the Boot and Install images using manually-entered DISM commands.
                      8. Used F10 to select and then boot from the Windows 7 install disk.
                      9. Proceeded to the partition selection dialog. Verified that the partitions on the SATA III SSD were visible.
                      10. Power cycled NUC (i.e. didn't perform install) and used F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
                      11. Clicked on Advanced, then Boot and then Boot Configuration. Set O/S Selection to Windows 8.1/Windows 10. Clicked on Devices and Peripherals and then Onboard Devices. Checked eMMC Built-in Storage entry to enable it. For a moment, I thought I was seeing a BIOS bug. I thought that the entry should have automatically been checked (enabled). After thinking about it, however, I concluded that, since the BIOS has no way of knowing whether the user had purposely disabled the eMMC before the whole sequence of operations was started, it cannot automatically enable it.
                      12. [Aside: I also found that the SD Card entry had automatically been set to Read/Write. This raised a quandary in my mind. Either, (a) this is a bug and the SD card should not have automatically been enabled, or (b) the BIOS was able to do this because it remembered the old state for this parameter. It the latter is the case, why didn't the BIOS handle the eMMC entry the same way? Intel Customer Support: please get a resolution for this issue. There is (a) a bug in the handling of the eMMC parameter, (b) a bug in the handling of the SD Card parameter or (c) there is some other logic being applied for determining the state of the SD Card parameter (unless I am missing something, I don't think this logic is correct)].

Steve, bottom line, my SSD is being seen properly. I do not understand why your's is not. Since it is seen in the BIOS, it should be seen in the Windows 7 Installer.

...S

• 8. Re: How Do I Install Win 7 64bit on NUC5PGYH?
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

N. Scott Pearson, thanks for your valuable help.

To: Sys.Admin,

Hello Sys.Admin,

I would like to know if the information provided to you was able to solve your concern?

In case if you need further assistance do not hesitate to reply back.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
                        Angie.

• 9. Re: How Do I Install Win 7 64bit on NUC5PGYH?
                          rguevara

Hello,

The NUC5PGYH has been validated only with Windows 10 Home (64-bit) only that comes pre-installed (see: Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products). Customers can try any other operating system but Intel support for implementations outside validated configurations is very limited; on the other side, this is the main purpose for this forum: knowledge and experience sharing.

I will report the potential bugs mentioned by Scott, but I would not expect a quick resolution as this implementation has not been validated and there is very little focus in resolving Windows 7* issues on NUC5PGYH.

I hope you understand.

Thanks,

Ronny G