1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2017 7:27 AM by allan_intel

NUC6i7kyk HDMI 2.0 firmware update fails

vampyren

Hi,

I just purchased this NUC and wanted to updated all the drivers and firmware but the HDMI firmware updater fails. I follow the guideline here:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26061/eng/NUC6i7KYK%20HDMI%202.0%20Firmware%20update%20Read%20Me.pdf

I have only 1 HDMI connected to my receiver which has support for HDMI 2.0:

Denon AVR-X4100 7.1.2 A/V Receiver Review - HomeTheaterHifi.com

I also found another thread with the exact same problem and i dont think the answer there is valid to be honest:

nuc6i7kyk hdmi 2.0 firmware update fails: ps176 vs ps175

For one my receiver is HDMI 2.0 capable so the firmware updater should update the firmware.

I'm assuming the firmware needs to be updated no matter if the other end has 2.0 or not. After all this is a Intel updater.

And also when i get the error message "Product ID error!" the firmware update tool hangs. The buttons are greyed and it can not be closed.

I have to kill it through process explorer.

Can you please let me (us) know how we can update our firmware to ensure we get the fix.

Regards

Reza

• 1. Re: NUC6i7kyk HDMI 2.0 firmware update fails
          vampyren

Hopefully someone from Intel will provide some support soon ...

• 2. Re: NUC6i7kyk HDMI 2.0 firmware update fails
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

I would like to have additional information about your system configuration. Please run the following utility and attach the results.

Intel® System Support Utility

In order to attach files, make sure you select the "Advanced Editor" option in the top right of your reply window.  You will then be presented with an attach file dialogue at the bottom of the reply.

Allan.

• 3. Re: NUC6i7kyk HDMI 2.0 firmware update fails
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Were you able to get the system information?

Allan.

• 4. Re: NUC6i7kyk HDMI 2.0 firmware update fails
                rguevara

Hi vampyren,

I am working on this issue and just wanted to confirm with you that you are absolutely positive that you are using also HDMI 2.0 HDMI compliant cables.

Also, any possible way that you test with other HDMI 2.0 Device?

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 5. Re: NUC6i7kyk HDMI 2.0 firmware update fails
                  rguevara

Hi vampyren,

I checked internally and with this firmware: Download HDMI* 2.0 Firmware Update Tool the requirement is to have a HDMI device attached while running the update, I couldn’t get much information but just keep in mind that this is a not a driver but firmware and my take is that there is got to be some handshaking during the update process.

Please let me know if you were able to test any other HDMI 2.0 device.

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 6. Re: NUC6i7kyk HDMI 2.0 firmware update fails
                    N.Scott.Pearson

To be more specific, my understanding is that it has to be a HDMI 2.0 device that you have attached during the process (not just any old HDMI device).

...S

• 7. Re: NUC6i7kyk HDMI 2.0 firmware update fails
                      vampyren

Sorry i been sick (still am) so i'm late with the answer.

Here comes the SSU report.

• 8. Re: NUC6i7kyk HDMI 2.0 firmware update fails
                        vampyren

To be honest i'm not 100% sure if the cable is HDMI 2 compliant. I tried looking at a few cables at the store but none of them mention anything about the version. How can i be sure that its HDMI 2 compatible?

I understand its not a driver and i would like to update the firmware. I know my Receiver is for sure HDMI 2 compliant as the links show.

There is another annoying issue i am facing (same with the old NUC). From time to time when i turn of my TV and Receiver the audio is disabled. By disabled i mean there is a X on the audio icon in the notification taskbar. Only way to get the Audio back is to disable and then enable the "Display Audio Driver" from "Computer Management". A reboot works of course but this is much faster.

Not sure why the audio is dropped. I have not been able to discover this problem for years. That is my biggest issue with a PC as a media center to be honest. This is sooooo annoying. If you have any thoughts or ideas i welcome it.

Recently i read that i should disable HDMI CEC from my TV and i have done so. My Tv is a old (not so good) "Blaupunkt 50" LED-TV BLA-50" which isnt that advanced. I'm saving for a better one

Just wanted to upgrade the NUC to start with.

• 9. Re: NUC6i7kyk HDMI 2.0 firmware update fails
                          rguevara

Hi vampyren,

What model is the old NUC and how is the Video and Audio connected to the TV and Receiver?

Regards,

Ronny G

• 10. Re: NUC6i7kyk HDMI 2.0 firmware update fails
                            vampyren

Hi,

The old NUC is NUC D54250WYK and it was connected using HDMI directly into my receiver. Same as the Skull Canyon.

But i dont use that for media center anymore. My wife is using it for work.

Regards

Reza

• 11. Re: NUC6i7kyk HDMI 2.0 firmware update fails
                              GKG

Hello,

I have the same issue exactly with my Skull Canyon. I came upon this issue in relation to NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC freezes .

Has anyone succesfully updated the firmware? Is it compulsoru to have an HDMI 2.0 device connected in order to run the update?

Regards,

George

• 12. Re: NUC6i7kyk HDMI 2.0 firmware update fails
                                rguevara

Hi vampyren and GKG,

I apologize because I am probably not really understanding the issue, besides not being able to run the HDMI 2.0 firmware update, are you guys having any HDMI related issue?

…and vampyren on the audio via HDMI issue that you are reporting I believe this is happening because the HDMI can only transmit audio when video is also being transmitted. When the TV or Receiver goes off, the NUC stops transmitting video. Hence, the audio goes away too since there's no video to generate clock for it. I am currently investigating this issue and I will get back to you with more information as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 13. Re: NUC6i7kyk HDMI 2.0 firmware update fails
                                  GKG

Hello rguevara,

My Skull Canyon NuC hangs. That is what led me to this thread. The hope that updating the HDMI firmware will lead to the SC NuC not hanging anymore.

However as stated above I have not been able to update the HDMI Firmware.

Has anyone been able to update the HDMI Firmware after experieceing the above mentioned behaviour? (i.e. the firmware updater program freezing and needing to be killed via task manager)

Secondly has anyone ever actualy found that updating the HDMI firmware led to the SC NuC NOT hanging anymore?

If you have please step up and describe the steps that enabled you to update the HDMI Firmware.

Furthermore has anyone after experiecing crashes/hangs on the SC NuC while using the HRMI port found that the situation is fixed after switching to use the mini dispay port?

Please share your experience.

Kind Regards

George

• 14. Re: NUC6i7kyk HDMI 2.0 firmware update fails
                                    N.Scott.Pearson

First of all, SC is the TLA for the Sterling City Compute Stick. Please us the proper TLA for the Skull Canyon NUC, namely KY.

In my two KY NUCs, I have never seen the spontaneous reset issue occur, I have never seen the BSOD issue occur and I have never seen the issue where Windows seems to freeze (but mouse cursor still moves, so it isn't a hang, per se). What I have seen, however, is the issue where, when coming out of standby (S3 sleep), the monitor(s) remains disconnected. The NUCs have had this issue for years (I first saw it on the (2 generations older) WY NUCs); no fix for this issue has ever been delivered. I have avoided this issue by simply configuring the KY NUCs to not sleep and to not turn off the attached monitors. This workaround has worked consistently across three NUC generations (I have used it on WY, MY, RY, SY and KY NUCs). On my primary KY NUC (which I use for S/W development), it works across all three connectors (mDP, HDMI and USB-C) with connected DVI monitors (using mDP-to-DVI and HDMI-to-DVI adapters) and a HDMI TV (using USB-C-to-HDMI adapter).

Someone correct me if I am wrong; my understanding is that, in order to update the HDMI firmware, you have to have a HDMI 2.0 compliant device connected to this interface. Did you attempt the update with such a device connected? If not, that may be your problem...

Hope this helps,

...S

1 2 Previous Next