6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2017 9:42 AM by Intel Corporation

More quiet NUC6i7KYK

landgraf

One of the main reasons I bought the NUC was that I was expecting it to be very quiet. Don't get me wrong: it is.

But my old PC is even more quiet. I'm even considering selling the NUC and keep my old PC because of that. The main reason is that the PC I still can make it more quiet (I don't have a good CPU cooler for example, which is the remaining source of noise) and maybe the NUC there are no options for that.

Note that I use the NUC/PC to run some heavy batches that make use of four cores simultaneously. That's when the noise comes in (not in idle mode or regular use of PC), and that's the situation I want to make it more quiet. It's also worth noting that I have already set the "Quiet" mode for the fans in BIOS (although I didn't tweak any configuration in advanced mode).

Thus my questions are:

1. Is there any advanced BIOS configuration I can do to make it even more quiet, but taking into consideration I'm running process in parallel that make use of four cores (so heavy CPU load)?

2. As a last resort, is there anything I could install inside or outside the NUC (fans, coolers, whatever) that could make it more quiet under heavy CPU Load?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: More quiet NUC6i7KYK
          N.Scott.Pearson

I laugh whenever I see postings like this. I think you are being a little unrealistic (albeit naively)...

The fact is, it is *much* harder to cool these tiny boxes and, when the processor is pushed and heats up, the blower (it's not a fan!) is going to get louder while attempting to dissipate the additional heat being generated. The issue is space. There is simply not enough room inside the chassis to fit a (perhaps larger) fan that could dissipate the heat without noticeable noise. Instead, a blower must be used. The problem is that blowers are much less efficient and must spin at higher speeds to generate the same amount of airflow that a fan could generate at slower speeds. At idle temperatures, these higher speeds are not noticeable, but it doesn't take much more heat before noticeable speeds become necessary.

The air is pulled into the chassis via the side vents, travels over the board's surfaces (to cool other components) and is then pushed over the processor/chipset heatsink and exhausted out the chassis back. The only things that you could do are (a) increase the airflow by forcing air into the side vents, (b) provide cooler air at these side vents and/or (c) increase the space behind the NUC so that the dissipating air does not sit close to the NUC. Someone sometime back suggested put a large (120/140mm) fan, blowing upwards, under the NUC. This would provide cooler air at the side intake vents and also raise the NUC up off the desk surface.

Your other option is to get a replacement chassis that has no fans or blowers at all. There are multiple manufacturers - Akasa, SilverStone, etc. - and vendors - Logic Supply, Quiet PC, etc. - who sell fanless (blowerless) chassis for the NUC boards.

The only settings change that you could make is to lower the maximum clock and turbo frequencies so that the processor runs slower and generates less heat. This can be done from within BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: More quiet NUC6i7KYK
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello all,

N.Scott.Pearson thank you for your input.

landgraf hope the information posted above helped you; I believe that input answers to your inquires. However, if you have more questions please let me know.

Regards,

Amy.

• 3. Re: More quiet NUC6i7KYK
              landgraf

Amy, you can close this question, if that's your intent.

• 4. Re: More quiet NUC6i7KYK
                Intel Corporation

landgraf my intention is to make sure that you do not have any more question in regard to this matter. I did not add more information to your thread since Scott's input basically explains the cooling solutions for you, and there is also a good explanation of the air flow for this Intel® NUC Kit. However, if you would like to get more answers please let me know, I am here to help.

Regards,

Amy.

• 5. Re: More quiet NUC6i7KYK
                  landgraf

Then you can be sure I don't, and won't, have any more question in regard to this matter.

• 6. Re: More quiet NUC6i7KYK
                    Intel Corporation

landgraf I hoped that it really helped you, and if you need further assistance on a different matter, please let me know.

Regards,

Amy.