5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2017 12:38 PM by Intel Corporation

Huge UDP packet loss

Christoph.P

Hi!

I know, that UDP is a lossy protocol. But I have done a network test with iperf and even @100kb/s there are packet loss over wifi with

drops > 50%. Over USB OTG there is no packet loss. What can be tried to encrease the responsibility?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Huge UDP packet loss
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Christoph.P,

Thank you for contacting us.

Have you tried using TCP instead of UDP? Even though TCP is slower than UDP, it is more reliable and you won’t have to deal with packet loss of near 50%. In case you’re interested to try this approach you can see http://www.instructables.com/id/Intel-Edison-Creating-Socket-TCP-program-using-GCC/ .

Let us know if this works for you.

-Sergio

• 2. Re: Huge UDP packet loss
            Christoph.P

Thanks for the proposal. But at the moment, I'm set to UDP.

My problem is that sometimes, I see UDP packets arriving in the Output of TCPDump, But the don't arrive in my c++ tool.

Can that be some kind of buffer issue?

• 3. Re: Huge UDP packet loss
              Intel Corporation

Hi Christoph,

Thank you for the clarification. We’ll investigate more about this. In the meantime, could you provide more information on the C++ tool you’re using? We’d like to have as much information as possible about your testing scenario.

We’ll be waiting for your response.

-Sergio

• 4. Re: Huge UDP packet loss
                Terrylee23

I understand that you are doing network tests with UDP for whatever reason.

Although I see no explanation of any network variables, are you doing this test within your own home? are you testing to a site or a specific friend somewhere? <and if so give approximate locations of the sender and receiver.

Dropped packets are generally caused by jitter or bad ping, If this is happening within your own home network then I would be investigating any cabling you use as well as wifi router (if your transferring to a machine connected via wifi or if you're machine is connected via wifi)

If your trying to send files to your buddy wherever he's located, I would run a tracert on their public IP to see if there's any issues along the way.

Goodluck!

• 5. Re: Huge UDP packet loss
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Christoph,

We’re following up on this case to see if you still need help with it. If you do, please reply with the information we asked on our previous reply. The more detailed description you provide, the easier it’ll be for us to help you.

We’ll be waiting for your response.

-Sergio