4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2017 5:40 PM by Intel Corporation

Video tearing on NUC6i5SYK

jimhoyle

How to fix screen tearing on video playback on one of the newer NUC models? I've fought against vsync problems and screen tearing for 20 years and the same problem still continues. I think that now at last I got it working, then next day when trying to watch a movie, there it is again and the evening is ruined. I can't seem to find how to reproduce the problem every time. But what happens is that both in MPC-HC (Media Player Classic Home Cinema) and Kodi video may be tearing. And sometimes they are not tearing in either. The tearing may be just one tear at the upper side of the screen, or many tears accross the vertical.

Intel HD Graphics Control Panel has fairly stupid Vertical Sync settings. They are under 3D / Application Settings / Vertical Sync: Use Application Default Settings or Use Driver Settings. So they are per application and there is no YES or NO. What good is that for? An easy-to-use solution would be to have Display / General Settings / Vertical Sync: YES or NO and that's it, YES as default and all 2D video would work without screen tearing.

So. How to force VSync on and why does the problem randomly occur? For example Kodi / Settings / System / Video output / Vertical blank sync: Always enabled does NOT help. And Intel HD Graphics / Refresh Rate 59p or 60p Hz doesn't help.

For a VSync test video: ColorBars 25p 1min.mp4 - Google Drive

So far http://www.vsynctester.com/  has not helped me with this because that may show flawless movement (no tearing) but MPC-HC and Kodi at the same time may tear.

(By the way, it does not make ANY sense to have Intel HD Graphics Control Panel / Video / Image Enhancement / Contrast Enhancement and others like that ENABLED at default. They just absolutely completely destroy the image and you're totally baffled as to why that is. The contrast enhancement adds horrible staircase boxes on the image, does not make any sense at all.)

• 1. Re: Video tearing on NUC6i5SYK
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello jimhoyle,

I would like to check some information in regard to your Intel® NUC Kit, so in order to gather that information use the Intel® System Support Utility. Find the application here; Download Intel® System Support Utility, once done attach the file. To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

In regard to your VSynch question, this feature can be set to Always On or Use Application Settings. Use Application Settings sets VSynch under control of the game or application that uses it, so it will be running when the game or application needs it.

Check more information in regard to VSynch here ; Enabling and Disabling Vertical Synchronization

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: Video tearing on NUC6i5SYK
            jimhoyle

Thanks Amy,

Can I send the SSU result .xml to you privately?

How do I set Vsynch Always On? It doesn't matter whether I "Select Application" or not, the Vertical Sync selection is "Use Appliaction Default Settings" or "Use Driver Settings". There is no "Always On".

For the "Enabling and Disabling Vertical Synchronization" page: I don't know how that link helps as I'm already trying all options in "Intel HD Graphics Control Panel". The web page shows "Vertical Sync / On" option. But I don't have that option. Instead I have "Use Driver Settings". Which is fairly confusing as Intel HD Graphics Control Panel IS the driver settings, right? Also, if I add MPC-HC into the "Select Application" box (with Browse), it appears there. But I can't press Delete at the bottom bar. Then, if I exit Indel HD Graphics Control Panel and reopen it, MPC-HC has disappeared. Basically, not very much make a lot of sense.

• 3. Re: Video tearing on NUC6i5SYK
              Intel Corporation

You could try something like this; How To Password Protect ANY File in Google Drive - YouTube, then share the password with me via private message to this profile https://communities.intel.com/people/Amy_Intel.

I will have to take a look to that scenario, I will set the lab as similar as your system/hardware configuration.

Regards,

Amy.

• 4. Re: Video tearing on NUC6i5SYK
                Intel Corporation

jimhoyle, I am following up your thread.

Please let me know if the issue persists, I am really interested in setting the lab for replication purposes.

Regards,

Amy.