Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Intel Turbo Boost Max technology 3.0 causes startup to take a few hours, how to fix?

ACran2
Beginner

Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 ultimate 64 Intel Core i7-6800K CPU @ 3.4 GHz with 32 Gb Ram. It has been running just fine until a few weeks ago at startup I would not be able to click anything, or use ctrl+alt+del and if I hovered my mouse over the taskbar it would show the spinning wheel. I found that If I left the computer alone in this state for a few hours it would resume working. I went through all my startup programs to find what was causing this and when Intel Turbo Boost Max tech 3.0 was the only program selected, I had the issue. I rebooted in safe mode, enabled everything except Intel turbo boost and now it will start up just fine. I'm just wondering how to fix the turbo boost so that it won't do that.

I should add a friend of my husbands built the computer for me, I'm not overly techy, but can usually figure things out with the help of google, this issues I could not find posted anywhere. Let me know if I need to provide more information to solve this issue.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello iamwhoiam,

There should an option in your BIOS configuration to disable or enable the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0, check for it and let me know if it helps to the start up issue.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
ACran2
Beginner

I have already disabled it through startup configuration, I'm wondering if there is a way to make the Turbo work without it having the issue. It worked just fine the first few weeks and a few days ago started having the issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just for testing purposes, have you tried disabling from your BIOS configuration?

Let me know your motherboard model please.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
TGluf
Novice

You specified in your original post that once you disabled Intel turbo boost in bios and the issue stopped.

what this tells me is you either have a faulty motherboard or a faulty CPU. There really is no way to know for sure, although you could first start by trying to update the bios on your motherboard. I would suggest inviting your tech friend who built the pc over to do that for you. Once the bios is fully updated if this issue is continuing to persist I would go through the bios options, there COULD be something that is causing it although that's highly doubtful.

If you do take the initiative to return the motherboard or CPU, I would honestly have them both exchanged, It would be a waste of time to only send one in and realize it was the other piece.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
ACran2
Beginner

I will try that in a little bit here.

My motherboard is a x99a gaming pro carbon from MSI.

I'll let you know the results of disabling from bios vs startup.

0 Kudos
ACran2
Beginner

Okay thanks, I still have all the boxes if need be. I'll see if I can wrangle him down sometime--we work at opposite times of the day hence why I'm on here asking for help instead of asking him.

Looks like my bios, American Megatrends Inc, was last updated 7/15/16.

0 Kudos
TGluf
Novice

I made a mistake prior, I thought you had said you disabled this option in your bios although you had said you only disabled the program from startup.

Have you gone into the bios and looked to see if this option was enabled or disabled?

If it is enabled, you may just need to reinstall the software on your PC, otherwise I would again say it's the motherboard or CPU, the motherboard may not be utilizing the feature properly causing issues, or the CPU may not be allowing itself to be utilized properly.

Sorry about the error earlier and good luck!

0 Kudos
ACran2
Beginner

I have now disabled turbo boost in my bios, I then re-enabled it at startup to see what would happen and restarted my computer--computer was responsive for a short amount of time then froze up, couldn't even move my mouse around. I rebooted in safe mode and re-disabled turbo boost from startup. In my bios it had 2 turbo options, one to disable, then another line where it was from a physical button on the board I think---I'm assuming that from the description at least, so maybe they both need to be disabled.

0 Kudos
ACran2
Beginner

It was enables in my bios.

I tried one other thing just now, I manually started up the turbo boost program while disabled at startup and the control panel did come up, after a few seconds it stopped working and asked me if I wanted to close the program, I'm thinking this means maybe I do just need to uninstall/reinstall it, but I don't have time to try that until after work today.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/110308 iamwhoiam, could you please let me know the name of the turbo boost program?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
TGluf
Novice

if intel turbo boost is disabled in bios then enabling it in operating system should cause issues since the bios has that function disabled. With that enabled in bios and enabled in pc you SHOULD get excellent performance.

I would recommend turning it on on the bios, and reinstalling intel turbo boost. After these solutions have been tried I'm out of possible answers, Goodluck!

0 Kudos
ACran2
Beginner

After uninstalling and reinstalling through device manager, it seems to be working now, though it no longer shows in my startup services when I checked in the system configuration it shows that it is running, but the interface doesn't pop up, but I can easily open it from my start menu with no issues now.

Thanks both of you for your help

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Terrylee23, thank you for your help.

/thread/110308 iamwhoiam reinstalling it was my next suggestion. I am really glad that you were able to track this down.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos