9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 5:33 AM by mindThomas

Specifications of the Aero Flight Controller

mindThomas

We are considering to buy and use the Intel Aero Ready To Fly quadcopter for an upcoming research task within autonomous indoor navigating drones.

It looks like the Intel Aero Compute Board is capable of handling the Flight Controller task, being equipped with both IMU, Compass and Barometer.

Though what about the Aero Flight Controller that comes with the RTF kit running the PX4 stack?

What is the specifications of this Flight Controller?

Which sensors does it include on-board (accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer, barometer)?

Which sensors is included in the GPS unit (which GPS and what about magnetometer)?

What are the supported outputs of the Flight controller?

Can the Flight Controller be by-passed to control all motors from the Aero Compute Board only?

Looking forward to your replies.

Kind regards

Thomas Jespersen

• 1. Re: Specifications of the Specifications of the Aero Flight Controller
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Aero Compute Board.

The Aero Ready to Fly Drone combines the Aero Compute Board and the Aero Vision Accessory Kit with the Aero Flight Controller, GPS, compass, airframe, ESCs, motors, transmitter, and receiver. For more information, please follow this link https://software.intel.com/en-us/aero/drone-dev-kit.
          For more information regarding the Dronecode PX4 Autopilot, you can check this link https://www.dronecode.org/software/flight-code

Intel hasn’t established limitations for the kit, nor tested any configuration other than the base configuration, so I can’t tell you if the flight controller can be by-passed.

In-depth documentation and datasheets are currently under development, although you can find some information of the sensors here https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/Onboard-Sensors.

Please keep checking the community for updates since we don't have a specific date of release for that information. Also check here for the latest information http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/technology-innovation/aerial-technology-overview.html

Regards,
          Andres

• 2. Re: Specifications of the Specifications of the Aero Flight Controller
            mindThomas

Hi Andres.

Thank you for your reply even though this didn't really answer all of my questions so I will try to brake them further down.

What is the specifications of this Flight Controller?

What processor is used to run the Dronecode and where (on which board) is this processor located?

Which sensors does it include on-board (accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer, barometer)?

In your previous answer you mentioned the content of the Aero Ready to Fly Drone.

The Aero Compute Board itself contain both an accelerometer, gyroscope and barometer as mentioned here: Onboard Sensors · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub

But what about the Aero Flight Controller? Which sensors does this rely on?

Which sensors is included in the GPS unit (which GPS and what about magnetometer)?

This question is related to the GPS unit (on the pole) that can be seen on the product pictures.

What is found inside this unit? Which type of GPS (Ublox?) and does it contain any magnetometer as well?

What are the supported outputs of the Flight controller?

Does the flight controller allow more than 4 motors to be used? Are there any other inputs/outputs to/from the flight controller such as CAN-bus, SBUS, I2C?

In general we are simply lacking some documentation of the content of the Aero Ready to Fly Drone and the included Flight controller.

Can the Flight Controller be by-passed to control all motors from the Aero Compute Board only?

If you do not want to use the included flight controller but just want to install ArduCopter on the Aero board (as mentioned in this post IMU on compute board ) - will you then be able to do so?

Can the ESC's be disconnected from the Aero Flight Controller and be connected to the Aero Compute Board instead?

When will the further documentation and datesheets adressed the Aero Ready to Fly Drone be released?

Looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards

Thomas Jespersen

• 3. Re: Specifications of the Specifications of the Aero Flight Controller
              Intel Corporation

Hello Thomas,

I understand that several of your questions weren’t explicitly answered, the reason for this is that the documentation that you need is still in development. The links provided show the officially released material, so any question that can’t be answered through them is currently unavailable.

There isn’t an official release date for the upcoming documentation and datasheet, sorry for the trouble that this may cause.

Regards,
              Andres

• 4. Re: Specifications of the Specifications of the Aero Flight Controller
                mindThomas

Hi Andres.

I thought exactly that this was what this forum was about, to answer your customers questions when answers are tricky or impossible to find in the readily available documentation.

This answer confuses me a bit as I thought you were much more open about this drone project and wanted developers to collaaborate with you on the development and the maturing of the developer drone.

If you provide no ressources the developers and researchers as myself won't be able to provide any help and development.

FYI: I am currently working at Aalborg University where we are choosing a new research drone for indoor industrial drone automization (UAWORLD project) why we considered this Intel Aero Ready To Fly. But if you can not provide any information about the availability of ressources or at least a statement that further ressources will be provided within the next few months, we will indeed choose another platform.

Feel free to contact me in a private message.

Kind regards
                Thomas Jespersen

• 5. Re: Specifications of the Specifications of the Aero Flight Controller
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Thomas,

I’m sorry for the inconvenience that the current state of the documentation may be causing you.

After doing some research, this information may help you with your questions:
                  Which sensors are included on the Aero Flight Controller (not in the Aero Compute Board)?
                  Accelerometer, magnetometer, gyroscope, and barometer.

Which sensor is included in the GPS unit?
                  A magnetometer (BMM150) is present in the GPS unit.

What are the supported outputs?
                  The Aero Compute Board communicates to an onboard FPGA over SPI. From the FPGA there are several peripherals available: PWM, I2C, UART, and ADC.

Does the flight controller allow more than four motors to be used?
                  Yes, flight controller is PX4 based, and can support more than four motors, however, only four have been tested so far.

As I previously mentioned, please keep checking the community for updates since we don't have a specific date of release for the remaining documentation. Also check here for the latest information http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/technology-innovation/aerial-technology-overview.html.

Regards,
                  Andres

• 6. Re: Specifications of the Aero Flight Controller
                    DGeise

Hi Andres,

I, too, am hungry for detailed developer information ASAP.  Is there any chance Intel could throw what documentation you guys have into a Wiki so that we can get early access?  Go ahead and footnote every page with legal disclaimers and only allow access via NDA if that's what you need to do.

Early feedback, rapid iteration, and community involvement are always better than "I'll get back to you on that" even with the best intentions.

Thanks,

-Dave

• 7. Re: Specifications of the Aero Flight Controller
                      DGeise

You might find this helpful Intel® RealSense™ SDK 2016 R3 Documentation This is a link to the Data API page, which is what I think you're looking for.

• 8. Re: Specifications of the Specifications of the Aero Flight Controller
                        Intel Corporation

Hello Thomas,

I was wondering if you found the information provided useful.

Regards,
                        Andres V.

• 9. Re: Specifications of the Specifications of the Aero Flight Controller
                          mindThomas

Not quite, unfortunately.

But it doesn't seem like I am able to get these answers anywhere soon anyways.

Eg. The flight controller where is that located on the Aero Compute board? Is the Aero Compute board included in the Aero Ready to Fly different from the Aero Compute board that can be purchased seperately? At least the included parts are different as neither the USB OTG cable or power adapter cable is included in the Aero Ready to Fly kit.

We will do our best to brake it down ourselves and will post our findings on my blog: http://blog.tkjelectronics.dk

1 of 1 people found this helpful