Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

CPU upgrade expectations

JPleč
Beginner

Hello,

I am about to upgrade a CPU on my 2008 Lenovo X301, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD. Wondering, what actual performance increase I can expect replacing SU9400 Core 2 Duo 1.4 GHz, 3MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB with SP9600 Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz, 6MB L2 cache, 1066MHz FSB? I've been looking into some benchmark websites and replacement CPU gets double the ratings, but that is not an accurate representation of performance difference. Is there a practical way to calculate this % wise?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JPleč
Beginner

EDIT: Have read more into comparing CPU's and found out that the same family CPU's performance difference is reflected by clock speed pretty accurately, unlike comparing different families CPU's. Since both SU9400 and SP9600 are from Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile family, SP9600 has double the L2 cache, 80% higher clock speed, 33% higher FSB bus speed, is it reasonable to expect around 80% performance increase?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You MUST contact Lenovo and ask them which processors are compatible with THEIR bios. Then, you can select from those processors.

An upgrade CPU must be socket, BIOS, and chipset compatible. And, that is only if the existing processor is NOT soldered to the motherboard.

Also, in my opinion, with a PC/Laptop that is already nine years old, you will be wasting your time.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I just checked your processor: http://ark.intel.com/products/36697/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-SU9400-3M-Cache-1_40-GHz-800-MHz-FSB Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor SU9400 (3M Cache, 1.40 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) Specifications

You can forget about upgrading. Your processor is soldered to the motherboard.

Doc

0 Kudos
JPleč
Beginner

It's not a question of financial efficiency, this laptop has sentimental value to me. I am getting BIOS modified to support this CPU, as well as the soldering done by a professional. Already confirmed that this can be done, so it's out of question. I was only asking about performance increase, but thanks for you reply anyways:)

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I never mentioned financial efficiency, although the amount of time and effort, and likely failure, will cost more than a new/current laptop. This amount of effort, on a nine year old laptop, seems counter-productive.

Just for kicks, you can compare the two processors here: http://ark.intel.com/compare/37260,36697 ARK | Compare Intel® Products

Good luck with your upgrade.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Great information provided by Doc. He has given the proper information about this type of upgrade process.

Please bear in mind that Intel does not provide percentage information when changing or upgrading from one processor to another. Also, this will depend on BIOS, socket and motherboard configuration.

Allan.

0 Kudos