6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2017 5:33 PM by SVfpu

Ubuntu 16.04 from canonical goes into infinite boot reboot cycle

SVfpu

I am reposting as a new discussion.

I got my Joule 570x last week and am going through new issues with getting ubuntu 16.04.1 installed.

First, I updated to the latest BIOS as everyone said, I think it is 161.

I tried following the process at the beginning of KhaosT's thread (per McCool) using the official Canonical versions of Ubuntu 16.04 (tuchuck). When I  boot the 16.04.1 image off the uSD, while Ubuntu does boot, and I see the desktop,  it immediately starts rebooting and enters an infinite boot, reboot cycle right after Ubuntu is up, but before I can do anything about it.

I tried installing Ubuntu Core 16.04 directly. That seems to work. However, I have not seen any procedure to install a desktop (which I need) on Ubuntu Core.

Anyone else having the boot/reboot loop with tuchuck's Ubuntu image?

Any ideas how to proceed? thanks.

• 1. Re: Ubuntu 16.04 from canonical goes into infinite boot reboot cycle
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi SVfpu,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Joule Platform.

We would like to share this link Intel® Joule™ Module User Guide, there you will find steps to install Ubuntu Desktop version, also, please take a look at the Troubleshooting and FAQ in order to discard that the rebooting is caused by power issue.

Regards,
          -Yermi

• 2. Re: Ubuntu 16.04 from canonical goes into infinite boot reboot cycle
            McCool

I assume you are doing the install with the instructions at the *end* of the thread you reference (not the beginning, which is now obsolete), i.e. with the official Ubuntu beta release for Joule (desktop version), and after updating the bios to at least version 131.   This works fine for me, and yes, that process results in a full 16.04 desktop Ubuntu installation.

Rebooting as you describe might be a power issue, actually.   Are you sure your power supply is stable enough?   You need a 12V, 3A power supply.   I've seen reboots when I try to use a 12V 1.5A supply in particular (even though on average, the Joule uses a lot less than 1.5A...).   Even if your power supply SAYS it is 3A, you might want to try another one... some power supply specs are not completely... uhm, accurate.

Also, is it rebooting *during* the install, or after the install when you try to boot it?   Your message was a little unclear on that (the installer is, after all, running an instance of Ubuntu off the SD card or USB stick).

As a final point, I have always done installs from a USB stick, rather than from an SD card.   I've seen some issues with SD card mounting during boot that might be causing problems.   But my guess is it's your power supply.

• 3. Re: Ubuntu 16.04 from canonical goes into infinite boot reboot cycle
              SVfpu

Actually, I have been following the instructions from the *top* of the thread and have been using the tuchuck-xenial-desktop-iso-20161006-0.iso image which has the drivers for the Joule board.

I have been using a 5V 6A supply and I replaced it yesterday with a 12V 3A supply. I was able to boot into a live Fedora 25 image (just for testing) but after installing it (just for testing) it got hung half way through the boot up process. So I went back to the above Ubuntu image which is customized for the Joule.

The stock Ubuntu image will not even boot! The tuchuck-xenial.... will boot to the grub2 menu. I was able to run the install (fro uSD) which wrote the image to mmcblk1 and part of the uSD. So I will need to redo that, as you suggest, from a USB stick. I will also try to boot to the Live image.

I will report how it goes.

Thanks for the tips!

• 4. Re: Ubuntu 16.04 from canonical goes into infinite boot reboot cycle
                McCool

Sounds like the power supply was likely your problem.   In another thread I have been discussing valid power supply ranges for the TuChuck carrier provided in the dev kit.   Technically the input power regulator on the TuChuck carrier board can accept a wide range of input voltages so 5V in *theory* should work, but in *practice* there is a soft (resettable) fuse on-board with around a 4A limit.   As the voltage goes down the current goes up for the same power draw, so...  likely the board was drawing enough current at 5V to trip the fuse.  It has been my experience that the Joule does not draw a lot of power on average, even when running a heavy compute load, but there is the occasional spike, especially during the boot process (I suspect a lot of that is not the SoC but various peripherals powering up, the boot kernel getting read out of eMMC into memory, USB, etc etc.)

Anyhow note the officially recommended power supply is 12V 3A.

I highly recommend using the official Joule installer image for Ubuntu (at least for now) if you want to run a desktop OS.

• 5. Re: Ubuntu 16.04 from canonical goes into infinite boot reboot cycle
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi SVfpu,

As McCool has mentioned your issue was likely caused by the power supply, Intel recommends a DC power supply with an output of 12V at 3 Amps. Moreover, we would like to know if you followed the McCool’s suggestions in order to install Ubuntu Desktop version or if you have any updates.

Regards,
                  -Yermi

• 6. Re: Ubuntu 16.04 from canonical goes into infinite boot reboot cycle
                    SVfpu

Hi Yermi,

Yes, I was able to get more stable behavior after using a 12V 3.3A supply with the Joule 570x board.

However, I did notice a little peculiarity with the current setup. When I boot with the Ubuntu install image (tuchuck) it automatically enters into OEM installation mode. This is not a big deal as the resulting Ubuntu 16.04.1LTS image seems to work just fine.

Previously, the Ubuntu installation image with stop at Grub with a choice of Ubuntu 16.04.1LTS, OEN install, check media, and a forth option. I cannot seem to get these options any more.

For now, we seem to be good with this image. I will check later for updated images to see things stabilize and converge.

Thank you to all who have helped me get the 570X board up and running with an Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS desktop!