1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 10:02 PM by spearson

The "lowdown" on Intel QST.......

pbngem

How is it "supposed" to work exactly?

• 1. Re: The "lowdown" on Intel QST.......
          spearson

This is a pretty broad question, but I will endeavor to answer...

Intel(R) Quiet System Technology runs as a firmware subsystem on the Intel(R) Management Engine (ME), a microcontroller embedded in the chipset. This subsystem shares the resources of the ME with other firmware subsystems suchg as Intel(R) AMT.  It collects readings from various sensors in the system - the Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) in the processor and chipset, fan speed sensors in the chipset and temperature and voltage sensors in other sensor device(s) on the motherboard - and exposes these readings, as well as health status information, to requesting software applications running on the host processor. It also analyzes the temperature changes taking place at the various temperature sensors in the system and determines how to best address the thermal situation at each sensor while minimizing system acoustics and psycho-acoustic issues (pattern noise, etc.). By address, I mean it determines what duty cycle to output to each of the Pulse-Width Modulated (PWM) output signals that are used to control fan speed. Other circuits on the motherboard (or, in the case of 4-wire PWM-controlled fans, the fans themselves) implement the actual control of the system fans based upon the PWM duty cycle being monitored...

I think that that is enough of an introduction; you can reply with any additional questions that you have...