13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2017 7:55 PM by glnz

NT Kernel Logger - 0xC0000188

Algazanth

Hello i've a problem with NT Kernel Logger - 0xC0000188.

This is the error message in the event log:

"The NT Kernel Logger session terminated because of the following error: 0xC0000188."

The Warning:

"The maximum allowed file size for the NT Kernel Logger session was reached. Therefore, events for the C: \ ProgramData \ Intel \ SUR \ QUEENCREEK \ IntelData \ temp \ 2017_01_01__22_39_08_boot.etl file may be lost (not logged). The maximum file size is currently set to 104857600 bytes."

I don't know what this is. Intel - Queencreek? When i delete this file, the error is away. But the file fills up till the max size and the error message comes again.

Readyboot is deactivated, if anyone should ask. I've in time no problem with this error message, no crash or something. But i wonder what this is.

Had anyone a solution, how i can disable that?

Greetings

• 1. Re: NT Kernel Logger - 0xC0000188
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

It seems to be this error message could be related to an application or program that was installed on the PC.

Queencreek is the name that Intel gave to this file or application, just like we do on the processors we provide a code name for each family, like for example: Skylake processors.

It is hard to tell for sure why is this error showing up, did you installed a software or program recently on the PC?

What is the model of the motherboard?

What is the model of the processor?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Which Windows version are you using?

A BIOS update might be helpful as well or to reset the BIOS to defaults.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 2. Re: NT Kernel Logger - 0xC0000188
            Algazanth

Hi Alberto

The last program i uninstall from Intel was the Intel Driver Update Utility. A friend say, he had the same error, atfter he uninstall this programm. The uninstall was not clean.

Otherwise, two games. Oh and the new nvidia driver + audio driver.

Mainboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

Prozessor: I7 6700K

Self- build pc.

WIndows 10 64bit, 1607 (Buil: 14393.693)

Regards

• 3. Re: NT Kernel Logger - 0xC0000188
              golur

hello every people,and sorry for my bad english.

I have this issue too.

After uninstall Intel driver utility the intel folder in programdata keeps and creates a xxxxxxx-boot.etl

This file active the nt kernel logger and when reach 102 mb the event viewer log first say the warning and last the error "The NT Kernel Logger session terminated because of the following error: 0xC0000188."

But this error no is the problem.

The problem is that file 2017_01_12__01_13_29_boot.etl enables nt kernel logger and if you delete the file herself autocreates at every start whit 11 mb,later reboots it reach 102mb and stops because kernel logger is setted like that.

See this image:

2017-01-17 19_39_28-Monitor de rendimiento.jpg

I read about xperf to control this but for me is very difficoult,only can stop kernel logger but restarts everytime is recreated the intel boot.file.

The ideal would be to permanently delete this and kernel logger stays off.

Thanks for all.

• 4. Re: NT Kernel Logger - 0xC0000188
                Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to for sharing that information.

To :

Tank you very much for providing those details as well.

I just wanted to let you know that we do have a specific site that supports this type of scenarios where you get those types of error messages and in there you will find different peers that will provide suggestions and troubleshoot steps in order to try to find a possible fix for this problem:

This is the site for support:
                https://software.intel.com/en-us/support

And this is the site for the forums:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forum

Regards

Alberto

• 5. Re: NT Kernel Logger - 0xC0000188
                  brainsucker

Wow Intel.

Installing Global/Kernel trace logger starting with EACH boot for EACH user and capturing 100MB of tracing data during EVERY boot (until NT Kernel Logger session stops due to max file size) - very smart move.

I don't know which product setup exactly does this (I upgraded wifi, Bluetooth and driver updater together), but IMHO this is an indicator of very low releases quality.

Suggestion to crosspost this question to 2 (TWO!!!) more places without a particular direction or help (should your users even waste time for that, can't you move/copy the question (with enough provided information already) yourself???) instead of quick analysis and solution - zomg.

Should we crosspost it wintenform, hardforum, Microsoft answers as well?

Disabling Kernel logger:

Change "Start" value (REG_DWORD) to 0 (Zero) at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\GlobalLogger key.

I would also suggest (I'm too lazy to check if this is really required to resolve the issue, and I'm very skeptical about usefulness (for end user) of this QUEENCREEK "component"):

1. Change StartUp type of SystemUsageReportSvc_QUEENCREEK service to disabled.

2. Run  "C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\QUEENCREEK\installer.bat" (probably as admin), press X (to disable) then U (to uninstall).  Not sure if this is actually achieves anything. Again - to lazy to look through 80+ KB .bat file.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: NT Kernel Logger - 0xC0000188
                    Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for taking the time to share those comments in our forums, I am sure that information will be very helpful to all the peers viewing this thread.

To and :

First of all I just wanted to apologize for any type of inconvenience you might have experienced in trying to find a solution for this problem.

The thing is that for this type of problem, when it is related to Kernel and Queencreek, the support is provided through our developer zone, in there you just need to log in and you will be able to submit your inquiry, please look for the option that says login:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-many-integrated-core

Once again let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 7. Re: NT Kernel Logger - 0xC0000188
                      muk

Alberto, you master the skill of annoying department redirection..

The only useful comment on this thread is bybrainsucker

• 8. Re: NT Kernel Logger - 0xC0000188
                        golur

Well.

I found the solution a couple weeks ago.

With this no more boot.etl file is created for nothing and you mantain the Nt kernel events active by default.

Stop the Nt Kernel Logger in Computer Management/Performance/event trace sessions.

Go to the regedit and search all QUEENCREEK entries and delete.

Start Nt kernel logger and restart windows.

No more 2017_01_12__01_13_29_boot.etl in C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\QUEENCREEK\ folder.

Delete Intel /Sur too if you dont have any intel software than intel driver utility like me.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: NT Kernel Logger - 0xC0000188
                          Intel Corporation

Hello:

I just wanted to apologize to all the peers on this thread for any type of inconvenience in trying to fix the problem with NT Kernel Logger, the thing is the support for this type of scenario is provided by our developer zone, that is why we refer the peers in our community to that site.

Thank you very much to for letting us know that information we really appreciate you took the time to post it.

To :

Please try the steps above and let us know if the problem persists or if it gets resolved.

Regards

Alberto

• 10. Re: NT Kernel Logger - 0xC0000188
                            Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if you were able to try the steps above and if the problem still persists or if it was resolved?

Regards

Alberto

• 11. Re: NT Kernel Logger - 0xC0000188
                              Thorsten_Albrecht

Disabling the logging with the method described above (removing registry keys) seems to work. I also removed the event log in Powershell:

[System.Diagnostics.EventLog]::Delete("ESRV_SVC_QUEENCREEK");

and deleted C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs\ESRV_SVC_QUEENCREEK.evtx

This event logging is activated when you install the "Intel Driver Update Utility". Deinstalling the utility should remove those event logging entries - but it does not.

Thorsten

• 12. Re: NT Kernel Logger - 0xC0000188
                                Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to for providing the details above.

To :

I hope all the information posted on this thread was useful and helpful for you.

Regards

Alberto

• 13. Re: NT Kernel Logger - 0xC0000188
                                  glnz

Roland of Intel has given a very good answer at

https://communities.intel.com/thread/110955