Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14397 Discussions

CPU seems slower after format/reinstall of windows and heatsink reseating...

idata
Employee

Hey my CPU ran flawless until one day it was running slow so I decided to reformat, when I did this I also decided to reseat the CPU since I've wanted to for awhile. I did all of that everything seems fine, runs good for the most part and temps are all good usage seems pretty normal. I can't see any issues or anything out of the ordinary but in games like Skyrim I get hiccups that I never got before I did all of this. and my games are stuttering more thant they did prior I also notice that programs open a bit slower...

Is it possible I damaged something when I reseated the CPU and it's not broken? The usage and EVERYTHING seems normal temps are great. Do CPU's generally work or not work? they dont just start acting wonky when they're damaged? and if they did would monitors even pick it up? I used to play Skyrim ALOT and now when I play it, I get skips when I pan the camera or run in a field I never used to get, CSGO if I don't cap my FPS it has so much tearing and it never did before games don't play the same at all... I even did ANOTHER format used older drivers and setup everything as I normally would and it still runs like crap.

Samsung Evo 500GB

Western Digital Black 1TB

EVGA FTW Z170

6700K @ stock speeds.

980 TI Hybrid EVGA stock speeds.

2 x 16GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Download and run https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792 Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

You may also want to review this: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005567.html The Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I downloaded the Diagnostic Tool and it said everything was a pass and temperatures were fine... So in this case does that mean my CPU is fine? Basically my PC ran fine until I reseated the CPU and formatted my PC, now all of a sudden I get tearing and stutter in every game that I did not before also seems programs are opening slower and the loading icon by my cursor is almost always active when doing minute tasks... . Wondering if when I reseated the CPU I harmed it, but I never hard of that before... Usually if your CPU usage, temps and speeds are fine the CPU is fine correct? I just don't get it PC was running GREAT until I formatted and reseated the CPU now it seems like its hanging up alot and games are running like crap. I'm about to just start RMA'ing all of my parts.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

As you said, the system was fine until you reformatted. So, I would take a look at the drivers being used and any other procedural error that may have occurred. If you saved an image of the OS prior to reformatting, restore that image.

I would also remove other components, i.e. DVD drive, USB devices, etc. I have seen failing DVD drives cause system issues. Just remove all components that are absolutely not needed. Even use one stick of memory at a time. Do this until you have eliminated all hardware issues.

Look in the event logs to make certain there are no hard drive issues (although there can still be hard drive issues and no messages in the event logs).

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I formatted again, tried older drivers, I reseated the CPU, GPU and MEMORY again, updated BIOS, reverted to stock BIOS, I tried many different settings. I tried a different Hard Drive and I tried one stick of memory and I ran memtest. I don't have a saved OS image.

So basically tried all of that still doing it...

can we basically rule out a faulty processor? I'm thinking on RMA'ing the GPU, Monitor and possibly CPU at this point and maybe even the mainboard. Something is messed up here. All I did was FORMAT and reseat the CPU and now I'm having issues.

when I reseated the CPU again I examined the pins and the CPU itself and see no visible damage. could it be possible when I reseated the CPU i damaged it and its causing this?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Are you using more than one real-time anti-virus product?

If you keep messing with the CPU, you will surely damage it.

You experience this "slowness" immediately after you reformat/Install the OS and before you install any apps?

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I mean this isn't my first install I know what I'm doing lol It's just weird... and yes this happens before anything is installed fresh format everything... Also damaging the CPU what do you mean by that are you telling me it's possible I've damaged the CPU and that's causing this?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You seem focused on the CPU, when the diagnostic revealed nothing wrong.

What I mean "damaging the cpu" is that repeated handling of it, continued removing and reinstalling it, continued cleaning and reapplying thermal paste, etc, etc, etc is bound to eventually cause a problem.

You want to RMA everything, including the monitor? Do you really think the monitor could be a problem?

Have you tried a different graphics card?

You did not answer my question about multiple real-time av products, nor did you indicate that you removed the DVD drive and ALL usb drives.

You have not told us what version of Windows you are running.

To properly troubleshoot this issue, lets have all the information, regardless of whether you think it is pertinent or not.

If you are convinced the CPU is the problem, then RMA it.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well the stuttering and tearing could be caused from my monitor since it's a GSYNC monitor possibly is what I'm thinking... But I doubt it.

I havn't tried a different GPU I only have one.

I have no AV on this PC. and I removed all drives etc that werent required.

I'm running windows 10 64bit

I'm not convinced it's the CPU but it's one of the last things I messed wit before all of this happened.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Thanks for the information. If you have access to another graphics card, that would help diagnose this problem.

Also, are you running any preview/insider release of W10?

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I don't have access to another card my only option is onboard video.

I have the newest Windows 10 from Microsofts website installed on a flash drive.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Windows 10 is loaded on, and booting from, a flash drive? You are not using a hard drive or ssd for your boot drive?

Have you tried removing the graphics card and using the onboard video port, just as a test?

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Windows 10 is installed on a 500GB Samsung SSD, It's being installed from a 32GB Cruzer Flash Drive.

I have not tried removing the GPU but I did try another monitor and games seemed much smoother without GSYNC but that could mean anything.

I have monitored my Task Manager and CPU, RAM and HDD usage is always extremely low. Sometimes when I open and close a program the Circle near the cursor pops up and the program will take several seconds to close after I click it. But then if I open the same program again and close it, it's instantly and has no issue. I find games are taking longer to startup and I'm have more intermitted freezes and pauses. This all happened after reseating the CPU and formatting I've literally done nothing else... I planned on RMA'ing the GPU and Monitor regardless because the pump on my GPU was not turning on sometimes and the monitor has had flickering issues, but at this rate looks like I might have to RMA the CPU, motherboard and maybe even HDD or RAM at this point. I did try loading games from another hard drive and they ran basically the same.

I know when I first had my PC it was much more responsive and games ran smooth as silk and I had ZERO issues... Now I do something simple as a format and a CPU reseat and now its running like complete crap so obviously something broke. I didnt wear socks and I did the work on a wooden floor I discharged static to my PSU and saw zero shocks. Honestly at this point it's either the motherboard, cpu or HDD thats the only thing this could be its the only things that I've come in contact with since the problem.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I wish I could help more. If you can hang on until the gpu is replaced, it might be worth it. But, the motherboard and cpu could well be the issue. If you are still under warranty, you may want to RMA the cpu to eliminate that issue.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel covers the processor for three years, that's the warranty period. If you get to replace the graphics card please let us know your findings, otherwise, if you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us back.

Allan.
0 Kudos