5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2017 10:12 AM by Intel Corporation

How to Build Debian Image for Edison

RxDUty

Hi, I was wondering if the latest BSP package for building customized Linux (iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160606) still supports building a Debian image from it. There are a few online tutorials showing how to do so with an earlier release of the build package (edison-src-ww25.5-15). But I notice the file structure has changed after that and I don't know if there any improvements or bug fixes from the new releases. So I would like to check here if there is a need to even trying to do so (building a debian from new releases). And it would be very helpful if someone who knows the internals could provide some suggestions, even very high-level ones are welcome.

I'm justing using Edison as a mini computer and what I care the most is the convenience of installing packages I need and test my code quickly, like what one can do in a Debian Linux. So I'm not trying to bring up an argument about which system is better or how good the package management of yocto linux is. Without such convenience, I don't see why one should even use Edison, instead of ARM-based boards, like ODroid. So far I feel the software support is really bad, compared to other similar products and Edison is not as developer-friendly as I first expected (I'm not complaining about the Non-GUI environment, which I have no problem with).

Update: I managed to create a debian image from "iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160606", but wifi doesn't work. The system couldn't find wlan0 interface. Tried to re-flash the system for a few times but the issue stays.

• 1. Re: How to Build Debian Image for Edison
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi RxDUty,

Thanks for reaching out.

First of all I have to tell that any question that is not related with Yocto (Our official Supported Image) is out of the scope of support. But I'm going to do my best to help you with this.

About you Wi-Fi issue, did you try to enable the interface using connman? I found this guide that can be helpful for you: https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse.

If you have more doubts using Debian I think you should contact them for a better support. https://www.debian.org/support

Have a nice day.

Regards,
          -Leonardo

• 2. Re: How to Build Debian Image for Edison
            RxDUty

Hi Leonardo,

Thanks for the information. I will look into the guide for wifi configuration in Debian and hopefully I could figure it out.

I know officially only Yocto linux is supported by Intel. But since the script for creating a Debian image is provided with the BSP, I thought someone from Intel must have worked on it and might know the answers to related questions. In addition, I think there is a greater chance that someone here may have tried this, rather than people only from the Debian community. That's why I post the question here.

Sorry for showing some negative emotions in the original post. I really like the Edison hardware, just got frustrated when trying to get it work as I would like it to, in the software part.

Thanks,

RxDUty

• 3. Re: How to Build Debian Image for Edison
              Intel Corporation

Hi RxDUty,

Thanks for letting us know, and I hope the guide helps you.

Personally, I have not worked with Debian so I can't help you with your questions, but here in the community there is a lot of threads of users that have tried this.

And don't apologize for that it is fine, it is normally to get frustrated when the things doesn't work.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
              -Leonardo

• 4. Re: How to Build Debian Image for Edison
                RxDUty

Hi,

I finally find out the problem which causes the Debian image not working properly, after spending quite some time. Here is a summary, as a reference for anyone else who is interested:

1. You don't have to use the iot package ((iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-xxxxx) from the intel website to build a Debian image. Instead, it's more straightforward to use the edison BSP from the yocto website: meta-intel-edison - Layer for the Intel Edison Development Platform

2. The package downloaded from the above link has the same structure with edison-src-ww25.5-15, which according to my understanding is just an earlier release version of the meta layer.

3. You can refer to tutorials such as:

Building a Custom Debian Image for the Intel Edison

hackgnar: Building Debian Linux for Intel Edison

for how to build a Debian image. (Have a look at step 4 before you follow the tutorials.)

4. There is an error in the "meta-intel-edison/utils/create-debian-image.sh" script. The linux kernel version was updated to a newer version while the version specified in this script was not updated. At this time (commit at 2016-03-11), the kernel version is 3.10.98, so you need to  update the script at line 135 and 136:

$CHROOTCMD dpkg -i /tmp/deb/edison/kernel-image-3.10.17-poky-edison+_1.0-r2_i386.deb

$CHROOTCMD dpkg -i /tmp/deb/edison/kernel-3.10.17-poky-edison+_1.0-r2_i386.deb

Change 3.10.17 to 3.10.98. With this change, you should be able to create a working Debian image. Otherwise, you can still get a bootable OS but with errors telling you some modules failed to be loaded and wifi doesn't work, which is no surprise because the above two key components are not installed properly.

It's exciting that I don't have to get stuck with the edison-src-ww25.5-15 any longer. This version is probably sufficient for most applications but it gives you the feeling that you're using something obsolete. I don't know who maintains this yocto layer, maybe someone from Intel? And I don't find a way to report this minor error in the script.

That's the main issue I found so far. I will need to spend more time with the system to find if there are any other issues.

Thanks,

RxDUty

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How to Build Debian Image for Edison
                  Intel Corporation

Hi RxDUty,

Thank you so much for this post, we really appreciate it.

Great job! I'm sure that this post will be useful for a lot of users in this community.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                  -Leonardo