5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2017 9:42 AM by Intel Corporation

HELP. - Can my q9300 core 2 quad work on hp dc 7900 pc, socket 775?

Flori

Hi, everyone, thanks in advance.

Can someone tell me if i can replace

Intel Core2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz installed on HP DC 7900 with my  Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50GHz  ?

My q9300 is for the moment working on a foxconn G33M05G1 from GATEWAY [fx 4710], PCIe slot of this motherboard is not working anymore, so i need to install my new GPU and i have this hp-dc7900 which is a 755 socket to but im not sure if it is compatible.. pls someone can answer me ?

and can my RAM DDR2 667mhz work on this dc-700 ? beacouse dc-7900 use RAM DDR2 800mhz .... ?

[the only difference i have found is chipset q35/q45 ]

here some details of my mainboard/CPU im using

020.jpg019.jpg

• 1. Re: HELP. - Can my q9300 core 2 quad work on hp dc 7900 pc, socket 775?
          N.Scott.Pearson

In order for a processor to be used with a board, the board must provide the correct socket for that processor, the board and socket must provide the power necessary to support that processor (a big question going from a Core 2 Duo to a Core 2 Quad!) and the BIOS must provide support for that processor's particular initialization and configuration requirements (not to mention any necessary microcode updates to enable the processor to actually run (overcome its errata)).

It should be obvious from the above statement that you are asking the wrong people. Only HP can tell you what processors are supported by and with their boards. You will have to go and ask them; we cannot help you with this.

...S

• 2. Re: HELP. - Can my q9300 core 2 quad work on hp dc 7900 pc, socket 775?
            Flori

@.N Scott Pearson ty for the answer... here it is a answer from HP:

So, while I cannot guarantee the Q9300 will work in your dc7900, I don't see why it wouldn't.

in fact i have try the q9300 in the hp dc-7900 pc, and it was working but my only concern is:  till this moment q9300 is working on a motherboard socket LGA775 with chipset [Intel Q35 Express] but the motherboard

HP Compaq dc7900 use

Intel Q45 Express // chipset// and support: Intel Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Duo, Pentium Dual-Core, Celeron

processors:   -------------------   source info from: HP business desktops - Wikipedia

if u chek that wiki link u will see there that dc-7900 support my processor

in the other side the manual of this dc-7900 mention that this motherboard support: Intel Core 2 Quad Processors:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor

2.33 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 processor

2.66 GHz, 6 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB

Featuring Core 2 Processor with vPro Technology

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor

2.83 GHz, 12 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 processor

3.0 GHz, 12 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB

but it don't mention my Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50GHz 

my problem is: will Q45 chipset causes damage to my processor or not ?

• 3. Re: HELP. - Can my q9300 core 2 quad work on hp dc 7900 pc, socket 775?
              N.Scott.Pearson

The processor is supported by the 4 Series chipsets, but whether damage could occur has absolutely nothing to do with this factor. If the motherboard was not designed to support the processor - and especially its power requirements - problems and possibly damage could occur. This seems unlikely, however, since other Core 2 Quad models are supported and the Q9300 requires no more power than, say, the Q9400 (which is supported). What is of concern is the fact that, because they do not specifically list this processor as being supported, there is the possibility that the BIOS may not include microcode updates for this processor.

Every processor has errata - bugs or errors in its silicon and in its (original) microcode. Microcode updates provide corrections - fixes or workarounds - for these errata that (then) allow the processor to run properly. If the BIOS does not provide the microcode updates necessary to address all of these errata, there is the possibility of the processor doing something wrong and not being able to boot or run your O/S properly. Now, later versions of Microsoft's Windows O/Ss, as well as other modern O/Ss, also include these microcode updates. Thus, if the BIOS doesn't have the necessary microcode updates but the processor (within the bounds of its errata) can operate properly long enough to get to the point where the O/S can load its microcode updates, then things will be ok. Understand, however, that if the processor's errata are bad enough to prevent the O/S from getting to this point, there is nothing you can do about it; it simply isn't going to work (barring a BIOS update that does include the necessary microcode updates, though I doubt HP will have these for so old a board). The fact that you have tried using the processor and it didn't seem to have any issues or prevent the O/S from loading is a good sign that you may not have an errata issue. I do contend, however, that there is still the possibility that this is a ticking time bomb and something could unexpectedly go awry at any time; it all depends upon what errata exist in this specific processor and whether it is being addressed.

Now, back to your original question; could this damage the processor? I don't think so; it is simply going to work or it is not. If it works but it doesn't have all necessary microcode updates, it could fail later or it could run perfectly for its complete warranted lifetime or longer - oops, almost forgot, its warranted lifetime ended long, long ago....

...S

• 4. Re: HELP. - Can my q9300 core 2 quad work on hp dc 7900 pc, socket 775?
                Flori

sry i have forgot to mention that: when i have try this processor the dc-7900 did run normally and OS run normally like it should,  and after 5 sec windows self installed some drivers for the new processor q9300 and it was running fine i think, well known with DX diagnostic and good performance from task manager... i think it should be ok...

• 5. Re: HELP. - Can my q9300 core 2 quad work on hp dc 7900 pc, socket 775?
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Great information from Scott, thank you for sharing this knowledge.

Allan.