Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Upgrade from sr1nk with sr1qk

LShah1
Beginner

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade my CPU on Lenovo H530S, actually it has an i3-4330T (sr1nk) and I want to upgrade it to i5-4460 (sr1qk).

they have the same socket, so the new cpu fits, but the computer starts but the screen stays black, the fans are loud.

From what i read they should fit, i don't know why it's not working for me. I tried the new processor (i5) in another environment and works just fine.

I tried bios update on the Lenovo but still the same thing.

Any solution? Anyone faced this problem before?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello @Lis_Shahu,

This is your chipset model; http://ark.intel.com/products/75016/Intel-H81-Chipset# @specifications Intel® H81 Chipset Specifications , and based on this model these are the compatible processors http://ark.intel.com/products/75016/Intel-H81-Chipset# @compatibility Intel® H81 Chipset Specifications. Both processors are listed on that link; however, in this case we strongly recommend contacting the motherboard manufacturer for compatibility information, they should be able to provide a list of the compatible processors for your model.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just because the chipset and socket happen to support a particular processor being plugged in does not mean that the processor is supported. First of all, the BIOS may not have the microcode updates necessary to support this processor. Secondly, many system vendors implement a white list in their BIOS and it will only support the processors that they provide and will only support the peripheral devices that they sell you. It's slimy, I know, but a reality. What you need to do is contact Lenovo and ask them them what processors they are going to support.

...S

idata
Employee

Thank you Scott for your help. Let´s hope it can help @Lis_Shahu.

@Lis_Shahu, please let us know if you get in contact with Lenovo.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos