5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2017 11:40 AM by Intel Corporation

Windows won't recognize intel edison

bdr122

I was manually flashing the intel edison and it hung during the flash.  I unplugged it from the PC, but when I went to try again, I got a windows message that the usb device is not recognized. It looks like it may have become corrupted during the flash attempt. Is there any way to recover it?

• 1. Re: Windows won't recognize intel edison
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello bdr122,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Edison Breakout Board.

In order to help you find a solution to your issue, could you please answer the following questions?
          •    When you connect the Edison, does the LEDs turn on?
          •    Have you tried reinstalling the drivers on your PC?
          •    Are you connecting the board as host or as a device?
          •    How are you powering your board?

As soon as you collect the previous information, please reply to this post.

I’ll be waiting for your response.

Regards,
          Andres

• 2. Re: Windows won't recognize intel edison
            bdr122

1. Yes, the LED turns on. 2. Yes, I've reinstalled the drivers (both with the utility and stand alone). 3. I am connecting as device. 4. No external power, just using the USB ports for power.

All of this this worked fine before I tried to flash it.

• 3. Re: Windows won't recognize intel edison
              Intel Corporation

Hello bdr122,

Thank you for answering the questions, but you should keep in mind that by using the sentence “All of this worked fine before I tried to flash it”, it isn’t clear if the answers also apply to what you are currently experiencing.

I need to know if, currently, the LEDs turn on. And also, are you using 2.0 or 3.0 USB ports?

In the meantime, please check this thread https://communities.intel.com/message/444354#444354, which describes a couple of methods to flash the image when the Edison is not recognized by the PC and that have helped some community members.

Regards,
              Andres

• 4. Re: Windows won't recognize intel edison
                bdr122

Yes, all of the answers apply to what I'm currently experiencing.  By saying that it all worked before flashing, I was just saying that these same conditions also applied prior to flashing and it worked fine then.

So yes, the LEDs currently turn on even though the edison is not recognized by Windows.  I have tried this with both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports and get the same results.

I will ago ahead look at the thread you suggested and let you know if that solves the problem.  Thanks for your assistance.

• 5. Re: Windows won't recognize intel edison
                  Intel Corporation

Hello bdr122,

Thanks again for the information provided. Once you have the chance to try the suggestion provided, please share your experience through this thread.

Regards,
                  Andres