13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2017 12:41 PM by Intel Corporation

No Video from HDMI connector

pjg61

My D54250WYK is connected through HDMI to a Bose LS130 Cinemate. The problem is that when I switch away from the NUC input to another input (say CABLE) and then back, the NUC no longer displays anything. It is like the video is turned off.  The Bose unit shows "No Signal" in its frontal display. On the Bose, I have disabled HDMI-CEC.  The only way for me to get the video back (other than a reboot), is to unplug the HDMI cable and then plug it back in. Then my video/audio works again.

This happens only with the NUC device. Other HDMI devices all work fine when switching away and back.

I have all the latest Intel drivers for the NUC. I looked at all the BIOS settings and driver settings and cannot find any option which would cause the video adapter to stop sending the HDMI signal.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

• 1. Re: No Video from HDMI connector
          jasonNUC

I've had the same/similar issue on several NUC models.  In all but one case, it was the cable. There was no rhyme or reason to it, since the cables I tried would eliminate the issue on one NUC, but cause it on another. I'm guessing you're connecting to the miniHDMI port, since that was the port with the issue for me in all cases.  I've had the best luck (as in 100% success) using a standard HDMI cable combined with a miniDP to HDMI adapter.  I saw the issue most often when using an HDMI to miniHDMI cable, less often with an HDMI cable/miniHDMI adapter, and never with an HDMI cable/miniDP adapter.

The one case where the cable wasn't the issue, it ended up being my older TV, which struggled with 1080p resolution. The 1080p signal would drop (exactly as you describe) when coming out of standby or switching inputs.  There were two ways I successfully dealt with it: 1) turn on the TV and switch it to the correct input, then wake up the NUC, and 2) lower the NUC's resolution to 720p.

• 2. Re: No Video from HDMI connector
            N.Scott.Pearson

I have a D54250WYK system (my retirement gift from the group at Intel) that is connected to our Home Theatre Receiver (Onkyo TX-NR616) via HDMI. I have the NUC configured to not sleep (Windows System and Monitor sleep both disabled). In this configuration, I have *never* had a lost connection. I switch from TV to PC input, hit a key on the remote and away it goes.

Some folks do not like the idea of disabling System Sleep. You could try disabling just Monitor Sleep and see if this is enough (I haven't tried this)...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 3. Re: No Video from HDMI connector
              pjg61

Well, after reading Jason's post. It gave me an idea. I don't have another HDMI cable with a Mini-HDMI connector. BUT, I did have a Mini-DP to HDMI. So, I changed the display output on the NUC from HDMI to DisplayPort and it now works fine.

Regarding Scott's comments, the system's Power settings is already in High Performance mode and all timers are disabled.

But for now, I have a working solution so I'm considering this solved.

Thank you

• 4. Re: No Video from HDMI connector
                N.Scott.Pearson

That's good to know. I guess I had a good cable right from the start...S

• 5. Re: No Video from HDMI connector
                  pjg61

Well, after further testing, a new problem showed up.  *IF* the Intel NUC is connected via MiniDP-HDMI, then the remote control volume through HDMI-CEC no longer works. I.E.  If I use the TV remote, the Volume control no longer controls the BOSE unit.  AND this is when viewing the CABLE source (aka cable converter).  Unplug the Intel NUC, and everything starts working.

There is clearly some HDMI-CEC conflict with the Intel NUC and the BOSE.

Is there a way to disable the CEC feature on the Intel NUC ???

• 6. Re: No Video from HDMI connector
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to  and for the suggestions provided above.

To :

In regard to your question, there is no way to disable the CEC feature on the NUC and the reason why the remote is not working is because the display port does not support CEC, that is a feature that belongs natively to HDMI, as you can confirm on the following forum:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/53354

Do you have the option to use the NUC with a different HDMI cable maybe a high quality one?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 7. Re: No Video from HDMI connector
                      pjg61

Thank you but I don't think you understood my problem.  The problem is not that CEC commands are not being recognized by the NUC through a DP connection, the problem is that when the NUC is DP connected to the Bose, powering off the Bose LS130 NO LONGER powers off the TV (through CEC).

By default, (before the NUC), when I power down the Bose LS130  *OR*  the Panasonic TV, one powers down the other through HDMI-CEC. Use the Bose remote, it powers down the sound and then the TV. Use the TV remote, it powers off the TV and the Bose. 

BUT, *IF* the NUC is DP connected to the Bose *AND* NOT the active input, that ability for the Bose to  power down the TV no longer works. Unplug the DP from the NUC, and it all starts working again.

So I end up trading one problem for another. IF the NUC is HDMI connected, the display does not activate when switching to that input on the Bose. But, if the NUC is Mini-DP (to HDMI) connected to the Bose, then the power On/Off between the TV and the Bose no longer works.

I will go purchase a new Mini-DP to HDMI adapter and a new Mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter and see if that fixes anything.

I assume I do not need an Active Mini-DP to HDMI cable ?

Thanks,

• 8. Re: No Video from HDMI connector
                        Intel Corporation

Hello :

Let me apologize if I misunderstood the problem, and thank you very much for letting us know those details, the will be very useful in order for us to be able to better assist you.

Just to make sure, is this the Bose LS130 Cinemate that you are using?

https://www.bose.com/prc.jsp?url=/shop_online/home_theater/soundbars/cinemate_130/index.jsp

I wanted to make sure because I was searching for the specifications of it, and it only shows that model BOSE CineMate® 130 home theater system, without the LS in front of 130.

If that model is correct, according to the specifications, it says that it has just one HDMI output to the TV, so, are you using an HDMI straight cable to connect the BOSE to the TV or are you using some kind of converter or adapter?

What is the model of the TV?

In regard to your inquiry, we had some cases when some peers that have video problems get an Active Mini-DP to HDMI cable and the problem gets fixed, however in those cases the NUC is directly connected to the monitor, in this case since there is a home theater in the middle we cannot guarantee that the problem will get fixed for sure and I do not want to give you false expectations.

On the following link you will find a list of tested peripherals for that NUC, in there you will find active adapters:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005514.html

Also, we can try a BIOS update on the NUC to the latest version, on the following link you will find the instructions to do the F7 method:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html

And this is the .BIO file needed to do the update, version 0044:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26503/BIOS-Update-WYLPT10H-86A-?product=76977

Also, we can try to install the latest graphics driver on the NUC, version 4332, for Windows® 7 or 8.1:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25641/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-for-Intel-NUC-Kits-D34010WY-D54250WY?product=76977

And for Windows® 10, we can try the following driver, version 4331:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25621/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC-Kits-D34010WY-D54250WY?product=76977

Which Windows version are you using on the NUC?

Once again, let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards

Alberto

• 9. Re: No Video from HDMI connector
                          Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and also if the problem still persists or if it was resolved?

Regards

Alberto

• 10. Re: No Video from HDMI connector
                            pjg61

Sorry for the delay, I had some more testing to do.  To answer the first few questions:

1) Yes, the "LS 130" is the "Cinemate 130".  Bose does a bad job of standardizing their product names...

2) Yes, the LS130 has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. The Bose is HDMI connected to a Panasonic LED TC-55AS800U

I bought another Mini-DP to HDMI and another Mini-HDMI to HDMI and still encounter the same problems.   Personally, I think there is some interoperability issue between the Intel NUC and the BOSE Cinemate unit. At this point, I don't see an easy fix. I also tried to not use the ARC input on the TV but that did not change anything.

To recap the issues:

1) IF I connect the NUC to the Bose LS130 using the MiniHDMI, when I switch to the input where the NUC is connected, no video appears. I must disconnect the HDMI (between the Bose and the NUC) and reconnect and the video appears. Simply switch input to any other source and back to the NUC and no input.  But, everything else works fine. The HDMI-CEC between the Bose and the TV works perfectly. When I turn off the Bose, it turns off the TV. Regardless of whatever remote I use, it always controls the volume on the Bose. (i.e. The TV remote sends the volume commands through HDMI-CEC to the Bose and it works)

2) IF I connect the NUC to the Bose LS130 using the Mini-DP (using a simple Mini-DP to HDMI cable), then the issue described above is now fixed. Switching inputs displays the NUC video properly.  BUT, now the HDMI-CEC link to the TV no longer works. If I power off the Bose, it does not power off the TV.  If I use the TV remote to control the volume, the volume on the Bose does not change. Indicators appear on the screen but no change in volume.

EVERYTHING has the latest firmwares.  The TV, the Bose unit, the Intel NUC, EVERYTHING.  The Intel NUC is running Windows 10 Enterprise 1511 x64.  I download the Intel Driver Update Utility and checked that I have all the latest drivers (this tool is somewhat broken...)   I can't find any option either in the BIOS or the Display Driver which might fix the problem.

I am running the Graphics Driver  20.19.15.4531

• 11. Re: No Video from HDMI connector
                              Intel Corporation

Hello :

No problem at all.

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

As you mentioned it seems to be there is an interoperability or compatibility problem between the NUC and the BOSE Cinemate unit.

Even though the driver you have might be newer, since the processor on the NUC works with Intel® HD Graphics 5000 we can try the following driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26229/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81495

At this point basically you have tried all the troubleshoot steps available for this type of scenario, hopefully by installing the driver the problem will get fixed, if the problem remains after installing it, then that indicates that in fact this is a compatibility issue, please let me know the results.

Regards

Alberto

• 12. Re: No Video from HDMI connector
                                pjg61

Alberto,

I Uninstalled the current video driver, rebooted and installed the video driver you suggested (4531) but alas no change in my problem. I will submit a problem to Bose but don't expect much.  Thank you for the assistance in trying to get this solved.

Regards,

Pierre

• 13. Re: No Video from HDMI connector
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for letting us know that information and for trying that driver.

As you mentioned above, when the problem is related to compatibility there is not much that can be done, hopefully Bose support will be able to provide a work around or a possible solution to fix the problem.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto