1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 1:01 PM by Alberto Rodriguez

Windows Update INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016

mpfrench

Recently, Windows Update offered an INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016. What is the purpose of this update?

• 1. Re: Windows Update INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

In regard to your inquiry, in order to get that information we will need to find out which type of driver is the one being updated and for us to get those details we need the following data:

What is the model of the motherboard?

What is the model of the processor?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of the laptop?

Which Windows version are you using?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 2. Re: Windows Update INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016
            gulian

Why do you ask some details? This is a WSUS update deployed by microsoft, on at least Windows 7 PC with intel chip on MB. If you don't know please let answer someone at Intel who does.

Edit : I changed my firstname and lastname by modifying my profile and saved; then few mn later later they have been reverted to the previous values.

Seriously, Intel, what's happening?

• 3. Re: Windows Update INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016
              GOODDAMNWHATISWRONGWITHYOUGUYS

For real, i have never, NEVER seen a Forum what is this much pain in the *** ...

Nothing wrong correctly in my Firefox, Buggy in IE, Buggy in Chrome/Chromium. I mean, are you serious?!

The Registration process is also terrible over 9000!

But ontopic:

Windows Update on my W7 x64 Machines rolls out an inf update with 10.1.1.38.

The Problem is, WU rolls this update out on P67 Systems too.

Here is clearly a wrong rollout running and if you use Google, you will find a lot of People where become this update on their tablets and they do not work after installation.

• 4. Re: Windows Update INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016
                GOODDAMNWHATISWRONGWITHYOUGUYS

[Quote][Why do you ask some details?[/Quote]

How else should they see if WSUS rolls out the update correctly or incorrectly?

Or do you think WSUS really just rolls this driver out, even with AMD systems? ...

• 5. Re: Windows Update INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016
                  Intel Corporation

Hello:

First of all we just want to apologize to all the peers on this thread for any type inconvenience accessing or registering on the Intel® forums, and I just wanted to let you know that I will send your feedback to the proper department so they can take your comments under consideration.

To :

Not sure if you saw the information we requested before, we always need to ask for that in order to find out which type of PC are you using and in order to narrow down our search criteria on the specific operating system.

On the following link you will find the Microsoft’s catalog site, where you will be able to find further information about the Intel® system update 10.1.1.38, as you can see the Intel® system update was released for different operating systems:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=10.1.1.38

I hope you can find the information you were looking for on this site, if it is not there, then please get in contact directly with Microsoft they should be able to provide further details:

Microsoft’s phone number: 1 800-642-7676

Microsoft’s support site: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

Regards

Alberto

• 6. Re: Windows Update INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016
                    gulian

Thank you for giving the link. Packages details on that page answer for me.

So it seems that Microsoft is responsible for informing the customers on what is deployed on their system. Which is bad for Intel since they absolutely miss the url explaining the purpose of the update in the WU OS interface.

I hope Intel do not miss communication with them.

About the forum inconveniences, do you know if we can get feedback from that proper department? Expecially about the firstname/lastname modify procedure, regardless it is decided to display them to others or not.

This is important because the registered user does not have a choice to display for himself anything else than his real firstname/lastname.

Rgds,

• 7. Re: Windows Update INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016
                      Intel Corporation

Hello :

You are welcome.

Yes, correct, Microsoft is responsible for informing the customers on what is deployed on their system, and yes, Intel does have communication with Microsoft but that is for some specific drivers or updates not for all them, mainly for the graphics drivers.

In regard to your question, since this is the Intel® technical support department, what we do when we have this type of problem related to the peer’s information or registration in our forums, is to transfer the feedback or issue to the administrative department, so they can take your suggestion under consideration and in order for them to verify and test the forums for possible problems.

So, at this point we will need to wait for their feedback, but as soon as I get any updates on that I will post all the details on this thread.

To :

I hope the information provided on this thread about the Intel® system update was useful for you and you were able to get all the details that you were looking for.

Once again we apologize to all the peers on this thread for any type on inconvenience.

Regards

Alberto

• 8. Re: Windows Update INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016
                        Intel Corporation

Hello :

You are welcome.

Yes, correct, Microsoft is responsible for informing the customers on what is deployed on their system, and yes, Intel does have communication with Microsoft but that is for some specific drivers or updates not for all them, mainly for the graphics drivers.

In regard to your question, since this is the Intel® technical support department, what we do when we have this type of problem related to the peer’s information or registration in our forums, is to transfer the feedback or issue to the administrative department, so they can take your suggestion under consideration and in order for them to verify and test the forums for possible problems.

So, at this point we will need to wait for their feedback, but as soon as I get any updates on that I will post all the details on this thread.

To :

I hope the information provided on this thread about the Intel® system update was useful for you and you were able to get all the details that you were looking for.

Once again we apologize to all the peers on this thread for any type on inconvenience.

Regards

Alberto

• 9. Re: Windows Update INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016
                          mpfrench

Alberto,

I went to the URL you gave, https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=10.1.1.38, , and found that it returned about a 1000 items.  However, after downloading one and trying to download several more, I learned that they are exactly the same file.  Furthermore, the information on M$'s site does not specify what the purpose of this file which was my original question.

Since Intel wrote this piece of software, Intel knows what its purpose is.  I am looking for specifics, not generalities.  Please research this and report.

• 10. Re: Windows Update INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016
                            Stefan3D

The purpose is described in the INF files:

"Abstract: Assigns the null driver to devices for yellow-bang removal and brands Intel(R) devices"

Check out "system devices" in device manager.

For reference on my rig it looks like this:

inf.png

• 11. Re: Windows Update INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016
                              Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to  for the information provided above.

To :

I just wanted to confirm the information posted above as correct, that is the purpose of the driver, I hope that is the notification you were looking for.

Regards

Alberto

• 12. Re: Windows Update INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016
                                mpfrench

My computer does not have any yellow-bangs.  What is the advantage of installing this update?

• 13. Re: Windows Update INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016
                                  Stefan3D

The update adds support for new processors like Kabylake and Apollo Lake.

Basically the chipset driver is only a bunch of text files.

You gain no advantage on older rigs.

The system driver that actually contains binary code updates is called "Management engine driver"

• 14. Re: Windows Update INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to Stefan3D for the information posted above.

To mpfrench:

Actually the Chipset drivers are the drivers that "tell"/ "allow" the north & south bridge(s) on the motherboard how to work. For your graphics card to work to is full extent you install drivers specially made for it. The chipset drivers do the same for the motherboard. So if there are no yellow warning signs on your computer that is actually really good, it means that all the drivers are installed properly and they all are working fine as well.

At this point, it is your decision if you want to install the update, from our end we normally recommend that is the computer is working fine, then there is no need to do it, but that will depend on the customer’s choice.

Regards

Alberto

1 2 Previous Next