4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2017 12:51 PM by Intel Corporation

usb type-c interface & pcie

hahaya

hi !

I have explored joule devkit for some days,and i'm very like it because of his high performance,also some convenient tools provided by intel,but it is strange that i can't use the usb type-c interface as a host,also i can not use the pcie mux with usb3 port1(it's looked like we need change the bios?),is there some documents?, will intel give some resource  or  demo to use them?

thank you!

• 1. Re: usb type-c interface & pcie
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi hahaya,

Thank you for contacting us.

It’s great to hear you’re having a good experience using the Joule Platform, we’ll try to help you with your questions.

You mention that you can’t use the USB type-C interface as a host. According to https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/667851 :”The Type C connection can also be used to access the development platform in device or host mode.” Do you have issues while using this port, which device are you trying to connect? If you could provide more information, such as if the device connected is detected or error logs, it’ll help us have a better idea why the port is not working.

You also mention having issues with the PCIe and USB3 port. The PCIe is multiplexed with USB3, port 1. This means you can only use one or another at the same time. There’s some discussion about enabling PCIe here https://communities.intel.com/message/438286#438286 . Currently, the only documentation available is the one in the Joule documentation website.

We’re continuously working to improve the documentation and the resources available.

Let us know if this answers your questions.

Regards
          -Sergio

• 2. Re: usb type-c interface & pcie
            hahaya

hi Sergio

Thanks for your reply OvO, my joule's os is ubuntu 16.04. i have just checked the kernel msg and i didn't find the init information about the usb driver in device mode.and  whatever i plug into the type-c port there is no pop on kernel msg , i will copy the init  kernel msg to here when i go home.btw i have already read the "enabling PCIe" issue, also i tried the bios firmware, it does't work >.<, can you provide the link of the document about pcie? 

Regards

hahaya

• 3. Re: usb type-c interface & pcie
              Intel Corporation

Hi hahaya,

Yes, please copy the kernel msg so we can take a look. From the enabling PCIe issue, the PCIe BIOS is not currently available. There’s no ETA for its release, but hopefully it’ll be available soon.

One alternative you can try is to contact the original poster from https://communities.intel.com/message/438286#438286 and try his workaround to use the PCIe bus.

Let us know if there’s anything else we can assist you with.

-Sergio

• 4. Re: usb type-c interface & pcie
                Intel Corporation

Hi hahaya,

Do you still need assistance with this thread?  Were you able to use the PCIe bus?

-Sergio