8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2017 3:59 PM by Tandy

Command-line compiling for D1000

Tandy

I'm super-excited about the new Quark D1000 processors, with their low thermal footprint.  So exciting to have Intel chips at this end of the spectrum.

Does anyone have any tips on compiling code for these, from the command-line?  Intel's development studio uses LLVM, right?

The reason I ask of course is because D1000 uses a reduced x86 instruction set, so I'm not quite sure what command-line options to use to target this awesome new IA32 instruction subset.

Thanks everyone.  I'm new around here, but hopefully I can offer some tips back as well.

Tandy

• 1. Re: Command-line compiling for D1000
          YermiA_Intel

Hi Tandy,

Thanks for contacting us!

We’re very happy to know that you are enjoying with the Intel D1000. Please let us investigate a little bit more and as soon as we find useful information we’ll let you know.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

-Yermi

• 2. Re: Command-line compiling for D1000
            YermiA_Intel

Hi Tandy,

Thanks for your patience. I have been investigating and I’ve found this information that I believe will help you. The D1000 includes C/C++ LLVM-based compiler with MCU support. Additionally, I have read that the compilation is support via the command line of the IDE (Eclipse), follow this syntax when invoking the compiler from the command line: iqdc [options] file1 [file2…] and to take a look at the output you can use one of the following commands: objdump –CD <project_name> or reaelf –a <project_name>

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

-Yermi

• 3. Re: Command-line compiling for D1000
              YermiA_Intel

Hi Tandy,

I would like to know if the information above was helpful, also, if you have any question, please let me know.

Regards,

-Yermi

• 4. Re: Command-line compiling for D1000
                Tandy

Hi Yermi,

Thank you for your very helpful response!

We actually don't have a Quark D1000 devboard yet.  We requested a D1000 devboard at the e-mail address specified in the D1000 intro video a few weeks ago--but have not received a response yet.

What do we need to do to get a D1000 devboard?  We have the tools all set up and are trying to get D1000 up and running by the end of the month if possible, so we can ship in the spring.

Once we get a devboard, we'll test the command-line compiler options (which appear to be the same as in Eclipse) and confirm here.

Thanks!

Tandy

• 5. Re: Command-line compiling for D1000
                  YermiA_Intel

Hi Tandy,

In the Intel® Quark™ Microcontroller D1000, in the section “Sample and Buy”, you can find a list of the Authorized Distributors, and we’d suggest you to contact them in order to ask for the board.

Regards,

-Yermi

• 6. Re: Command-line compiling for D1000
                    Tandy

Hi Yermi,

We spoke with one of the Authorized Distributors, and after doing some research they indicated that they can only obtain D2000 developer kits (regular devkits, not CRBs, and only for D2000). 

According to Intel's Quark website (and the D1000 intro video) there is indeed no "distributor-channel-sold reference board" for the Quark D1000.  Instead there is a "Customer Reference Board" for Quark D1000, available exclusively and directly through Intel.

With the D2000 and C1000, there are links on the Quark website for requesting a CRB.  But unfortunately for Quark D1000, the only reference I could find for getting one is mentioned in the D1000 intro video (at 6:50 into the video), where it provides the e-mail address "osclmapac@intel.com" to request a board.  Our engineer who is working on the D1000 part of this project emailed that address previously, but never heard anything back from Intel.

Has the D1000 effectively become NRND (because the D2000 has slightly more features and a richer instruction set at the same price)?  Our assumption was that the D1000 (reduced-instruction CISC) was Intel's first product in a whole line of "raw code, non-OS" super-low-cost Intel micros for IoT.  But if the CRB has been discontinued and the D1000 has become NRND with no replacement in the works, we'll just stick with D2000.

What should we do?  We'd really like to pick up a Quark D1000 CRB, and are willing to pay for one if that helps.

Thanks Yermi,

Tandy

• 7. Re: Command-line compiling for D1000
                      YermiA_Intel

Hi Tandy,

Thanks for all the information provided. We would like to let you know that the D1000 has become NRND and we suggest you to purchase the D2000.

Regards,

-Yermi

• 8. Re: Command-line compiling for D1000
                        Tandy

Hi Yermi,

Thanks for letting me know about the NRND status on D1000.  We'll stick with the D2000 devkit for now.

I have marked your earlier answer as the correct answer regarding D1000.  Thanks again for all the research you did on this.

Tandy