This is going to be a bit of a long post, so please bear with me. Also I'm not sure who to point the finger at so I'll probably post this in more than one location.
- HP Probook 470 G0
- Intel HD 4000 Graphics and AMD Radeon HD 8750M (Switchable graphics)
- Intel Core i5 3230M
- 16GB Ram
- Windows 7 Professional x64
This laptop has been out of use for a least a year and requires many Windows updates. I have installed the updates, including the latest Intel and AMD drivers that were available in Windows Update.
Result: Once this has been completed, and the computer rebooted after I login the screen starts flashing. To stop this you have to turn off Aero by changing to Windows Classic or Windows Basic. However, the flashing will continue in 3D accelerated parts of a web page i.e HTML 5/Flash sliders etc.
So I perform a system restore back to the point before the updates and drivers get installed. The flashing goes away again.
Re-run Windows update excluding the graphics drivers. Reboot the machine, and then computer starts up with what appears to be the basic Standard VGA driver supplied by Microsoft. I look in Device Manager and BOTH Intel and AMD graphics cards have got the yellow exclamation point, and are both throwing Error 43 and saying that the driver reported problems. I look in the event log and one of the AMD graphics driver processes has crashed at startup.
Next I go to HP's website, download their latest drivers, thinking there might be an issue with the Windows Update supplied ones, and maybe if I use the OEM updates instead we'll be OK. Apparently not. I install the AMD driver first, and reboot. Nothing changes, everything is still huge and showing errors in device manager. Next I install the Intel driver, reboot, and the resolution is fine. Login to Windows, and then the flashing starts all over again.
- A Windows Update causes both Intel and AMD graphics drivers to error with "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"
- atieclxx.exe crashes on start up. Catalyst Control Center errors about adaptor/driver not being installed or has a problem.
- Update AMD driver, problem above remains.
- Update Intel driver after, screen starts to flash after login until Windows Aero themes are swtiched to Windows Basic or Windows Classic.
- Flashing will continue in web items that require 3D acceleration.
I'm absolutely at a loss, and I really don't fancy manually installing one by one Windows Updates until I find the culprit.