1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2017 3:44 PM by rguevara

STK1AW32SC BIOS v0030 missing Legacy mode and microSD Card not working

UbIx

So my experience with STK1A32WFC and STK2m364CC was fine and Linux runs perfect, I buyed the STK1A(W)32SC, due to the out of the box supported WLAN/BT Chipset. See also my comments in this thread: https://communities.intel.com/thread/106904

At first I updated the BIOS to the new v0030 for STK1A32SC and STK1AW32SC (marked as the same - which make sense due to the identical HW). But it is not possible with this version to access via Linux (e.g. openSUSE Tumbleweed build from 26.12.2016) the microSD Card. Also an in the STK1A32WFC installed mikroSD Card, which is working fine also with the STK2m364CC, won't be listed as boot device in the BIOS settings (F2) or the Boot Menu (F10). In the documentation I can't find any deviation, between the 3 Compute Sticks! So I expect this is a bug in the BIOS firmware.

Some additional issues I've detected in the BIOS:

1. The PTT mode is not clear for me. The Help with switch on and off PTT gives also no idea what happens with this option!
      2. The BIOS can't be switch to Legacy mode - so no older OS can't be installed!
      3. What is the technical background for the selection of OS between Win64, Win32 and Android/Ubuntu? (So I remind well, with the older v0024 on STK1A32WFC it was no problem to select Linux and Windows, with still Linux or Windows selected in the BOOT-Menu, in STK1AW32CC I can use the installed Windows 32bit Home only with this OS selected, and 64bit Tumbleweed was not listed, with Win64 and Android selected Tumbleweed Boots fine, but Windows Home is not listed - all other new BIOS what I know - from ASUS, MSI and so on - have no truble with this)
      4. During reboot it is not possible to select one of the BOOT
      5. Remark If I switch Switch on and off of secure BOOT - have no impact to the issues above (Tumbleweed GRUB is per default MS signed).

Happy New Year

UbIx

• 1. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0030 missing Legacy mode and microSD Card not working
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello UbIx ,

When the Intel® Platform Trust Technology (Intel® PTT) is switch on is a platform functionality for credential storage and key management used by Windows 8* and Windows® 10. Intel® PTT supports BitLocker* for hard drive encryption and supports all Microsoft requirements for firmware Trusted Platform Module (fTPM) 2.0.

The Intel Compute Stick STK1AW32SC has Windows 10 Home 32-bit pre-installed with all necessary drivers, 64bit is not supported. On this unit any other operating system, Linux*, OpenSUSE we don’t support it, this is because it has not been validated by Intel, you will get better support for these distros from their forum support sites.

The unit has been build to work with Windows®10 so legacy mode will not be necessary for the unit because older Windows® version is not supported and Windows®10 works better with UEFI.

You can see supported operating system here:
          http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000005899.html

Now, if somebody else has been able to install and access the Micro SD, they are free to share that information with us.

If the Micro SD is not detected not even with Windows installed, this could be an issue either with the Micro SD Card Reader or with the Micro SD itself, but in this case you’re mentioning that the card works with the other Intel® Compute sticks.

Do you have another Micro SD to try if it is possible if not that is understandable?

What is the size of the Micro SD Card? It is formatted in exFAT or FAT32? Either one should work but is just to try. What is the model of the card?

Regards,

Ivan.

• 2. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0030 missing Legacy mode and microSD Card not working
            UbIx

Hi intel_corp Ivan,

at first - thanks for your fast reply

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hello UbIx,

When the Intel® Platform Trust Technology (Intel® PTT) is switch on is a platform functionality for credential storage and key management used by Windows 8* and Windows® 10. Intel® PTT supports BitLocker* for hard drive encryption and supports all Microsoft requirements for firmware Trusted Platform Module (fTPM) 2.0.

Thanks for your information. In the future it can be helpful if this information is available in the BIOS itself if I press F1-key

The Intel Compute Stick STK1AW32SC has Windows 10 Home 32-bit pre-installed with all necessary drivers, 64bit is not supported. On this unit any other operating system, Linux*, OpenSUSE we don’t support it, this is because it has not been validated by Intel, you will get better support for these distros from their forum support sites.

Sure, that's clear - that I do this with my own risk (like always if I need Linux). Normally I would by the STK1A32SC - but this is not in all shops available and the price deviation is sometimes only some Euro - so that I used a shop which I do anyway a buy - so the price deviation was covered by the transportation fee. But on this - there is now remark that I lost the warranty, if I play Linux on it . So for me it is not forbidden (hopefully).

The unit has been build to work with Windows®10 so legacy mode will not be necessary for the unit because older Windows® version is not supported and Windows®10 works better with UEFI.

You can see supported operating system here:
            http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000005899.html

Sure - this is always the situation at all companies

Now, if somebody else has been able to install and access the Micro SD, they are free to share that information with us.

Hopefully - someone can help

If the Micro SD is not detected not even with Windows installed, this could be an issue either with the Micro SD Card Reader or with the Micro SD itself, but in this case you’re mentioning that the card works with the other Intel® Compute sticks.

Yes, I can read the card on the preinstalled Windows (for sure only the FAT-UEFI part of the card). But at boot time and also later after boot, I can't see the bootable source. I use the quality cards from SanDisk Ultra (32GB and 64GB) or Samsung Pro (32GB), both shows the same effect on STK1AW32SC (but all works fine in the other both Compute Sticks STK1A32WFC and STK2m364CC). So for me es electronic Engineer, it looks like an error on the BIOS of the STK1A(W)32SC. So the BIOS have many additional bugs like written above (much more than the other both C-Sticks)

Do you have another Micro SD to try if it is possible if not that is understandable?

Like written above, I tested two different Suppliers (SanDisk and Samsung) and two different Card-Sizes (32GB and 64GB). All I can read with the preinstalled Windows fine (for sure only the supported File Systems). But doesn't be detected in the internal slot.

What is the size of the Micro SD Card? It is formatted in exFAT or FAT32? Either one should work but is just to try. What is the model of the card?

One partition is formatted with the EFI-FAT

The Installation partitioning with the Linux

Device       Boot      Begin    End          Sectors        Size     Kn  Typ

/dev/sdh1                3840   11399       7560            3,7M    ef    EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

/dev/sdh2  *           11400   9091071   9079672      4,3G   17   Hidden HPFS/NTFS

And the later generated one (32GB => 29GB) which was generated on STK1A32WFC and works fine on this one:

/dev/sdi1                 2048   321535      319488       156M          EFI-System

/dev/sdi2             321536   643071      321536       157M          Linux-Filesystem

/dev/sdi3             643072   4868095    4225024     2G              Linux-Filesystem

/dev/sdi4           4868096   62519295  57651200   27,5G         Linux-Filesystem

The EFI partition is the relevant part for the BIOS - which includes the bootloader of the Linux system.

Summary: for me it looks like, the enabling of the SD-Card interface don't work really in v0030!

Regards

UbIx

EDIT: It seems that the Editor here can't handle multiple quotes in one answer correctly (in the Editor view it looks perfect).

• 3. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0030 missing Legacy mode and microSD Card not working
              Intel Corporation

I really appreciate your feedback about the F1-key and thank you for all the information.

Does this SD-card work on previous BIOS version with the Intel® STK1AW32SC?

Perhaps you would like to try version 0029 and see how it goes.

Also, I would suggest to post your issue at the Linux*community to see if somebody else can be able to help somehow.

We are always working to make better our products so any feedback is appreciated, hopefully new BIOS versions will be released to add features and fix issues.

Ivan.

• 4. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0030 missing Legacy mode and microSD Card not working
                UbIx

Hi Ivan (intel_corp ),

thanks for your reply.

I will test the roll back of the Firmware tomorrow. For some minutes I've tested to disable/enable the internal SD-Card support in BIOS - but no effect.

Regards

UbIx

• 5. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0030 missing Legacy mode and microSD Card not working
                  UbIx

Hi Ivan,

Intel Corporation wrote:

I really appreciate your feedback about the F1-key and thank you for all the information.

Does this SD-card work on previous BIOS version with the Intel® STK1AW32SC?

Perhaps you would like to try version 0029 and see how it goes.

Also, I would suggest to post your issue at the Linux*community to see if somebody else can be able to help somehow.

We are always working to make better our products so any feedback is appreciated, hopefully new BIOS versions will be released to add features and fix issues.

I tested the recovery via F4 and the reflashing with the v0029, both don't work.

Is it possible that the recovery don't work if the update was done via Windows?

Additional I made some many other tests - it is not possible to access the SD-Card without Windows drivers

Per default the event logging is on and some crazy entries are in - do you think this was OK:

CMOS Checksum Error ( 2)  3/27/2048 0: 0: 0

CMOS Time Not Set ( 2)  1/ 1/2015 0: 0: 0

Flash Update Failed ( 8) 10/27/2025  20:12:42

The entry with the BIOS update is missing and also the time was from beginning on OK (I think due to the Time Server in my local network - which is also included in the DHCP entry). Also I've connected an Digitus USB 3.0 3-Port HUB & Gigabit LAN Adapter DA-70250:

http://www.digitus.info/en/products/computer-accessories-and-components/computer-accessories/usb-hubs/da-70250/

Which works fine with all compute sticks with Windows 10 and Linux (out of the box without driver installation).

What is confusing for me, is the fast reboot without any text output, if I start the Recovery with F4 - on the STK1A32WFC there was an dialog which ask me if I was sure - to do this (I don't remind the correct wording anymore).

A totally confused

UbIx

• 6. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0030 missing Legacy mode and microSD Card not working
                    Intel Corporation

Maybe I posted the incorrect BIOS version, please try this version for the Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26502/BIOS-Update-FCBYT10H-86A-

This version is latest one that Intel has released

Ivan.

• 7. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0030 missing Legacy mode and microSD Card not working
                      UbIx

Hi Ivan,

thanks for the replay. But I don't need an update on STCK1A32WFC - which is running fine with Linux on the SD-Card.

I need to update the STK1AW32SC, which the newest BIOS is there:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26448/BIOS-Update-SCCHTAX5-86A-?v=t

But anyway, I flashed now 0029 and again 0030, but still the SD card won't be listed, also not with the FAT FS which includes the firmware files. With a stick and also with a sd card reader which includes this SD card, it is possible to read!

• 8. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0030 missing Legacy mode and microSD Card not working
                        Intel Corporation

Thanks for this information, if you are able to read the SD card from a SD card reader then it seems that the Intel® Compute Stick card reader is defective, at least this is what it seems to be for me.

At this point, I suggest getting a replacement for the unit.

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 9. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0030 missing Legacy mode and microSD Card not working
                          UbIx

Hi Ivan,

thanks again for answer. I've received your eMail, but I prefere to send it back to my supplier (so I'm in the 14 days extended warranty (in Germany you can send in this time each more expencive device back - also without any reason) and for sure in the half year warranty for full functionality).

But I fill the Email and send it back. If it is better - for error analysis reason, than I also accept to send it to Intel.

Please let me know your preferred solution.

Regards

UbIx

• 10. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0030 missing Legacy mode and microSD Card not working
                            Intel Corporation

In this case, we just replace the unit but we don’t do any analyze unless there is several report about the same issue.

At this point if you have the option to send it to your supplier in Germany I suggest you to get in contact with them and get the replacement.

Best wishes,

Ivan.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0030 missing Legacy mode and microSD Card not working
                              UbIx

Hi Ivan,

OK, than I will send it back to supplier. Please ignore my private answer for some minutes.

Thanks for support and nice Day

UbIx

• 12. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0030 missing Legacy mode and microSD Card not working
                                Intel Corporation

You are more than welcome!

Best wishes,

Ivan.

• 13. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0030 missing Legacy mode and microSD Card not working
                                  UbIx

Hi Ivan,

today arrived the new STK1AW32SC - but still the same issue (in the moment BIOS v0029).

Seems for me more an BIOS issue than a HW topic.

Regards

Ulf

• 14. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0030 missing Legacy mode and microSD Card not working
                                    Repeat%20Offender

Does the output you get from

dmesg | grep mmc1

provide any insights into the problem?

1 2 Previous Next