2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2010 8:47 AM by spearson

Intel "Quiet System Technology".....Questionable??

pbngem

I've been running my system under prime95 to bring the system temps up to test my system fans cooling effectiveness. So far, my 2 case fans & CPU fan don't seem to change speed while monitoring them in Intel desktop utility. The CPU temps are reaching 75C, and the I/O controller hub, motherboard temp & memory controller hub temps are in the "yellow" (caution) range. Is the system supposed to reach "meltdown" before the QST responds & increases the fan speeds?   Anyone else in this forum have this same concern?

• 1. Re: Intel "Quiet System Technology".....Questionable??
          phil_l

Hi

The CPU temps are reaching 75C, and the I/O controller hub, motherboard  temp & memory controller hub temps are in the "yellow" (caution)  range. Is the system supposed to reach "meltdown" before the QST  responds & increases the fan speeds?   Anyone else in this forum  have this same concern?

Sounds quite normal, my fans don't rev up until they hit 80 degrees.  Don't forget modern CPUs measure the core temperature directly on the chip at the hotest part so these temperatures can seem alarming.  Running them hotter also is part of the method of reducing fan noise.

Silicon can run at 150degrees or more, so 80 degrees is all okay.

Regards

Phil

• 2. Re: Intel "Quiet System Technology".....Questionable??
            spearson

When you say "in the yellow", I presume that you are looking at the gauges in the Intel(R) Desktop Utilities or Intel(R) Desktop Control Center displays. Within these gauges, the "yellow" (caution) areas of the display are made large enough to be distinguishable. This does not mean that there is any issue - and, indeed, these temperatures are fine; well below (at least 10 degrees) concerning levels. If the temperatures begin to approach concerning levels, Intel(R) QST will begin to ramp up the fan speed to compensate. Until that time, enjoy the lower acoustics (fan speeds) that are being provided. While Intel(R) QST attempts to keep acoustics as low as possible, its primary purpose is to provide the necessary cooling and it has been rigorously tested to ensure that it does...