14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2017 2:51 PM by Intel Corporation

Painful internet explorer performance

Repeat%20Offender

With my STK1AW32SC my download speed according to the xfinity speed test beta is about 55 Mbps, but internet explorer is painfully slow. For example, it takes several seconds before the keyboard becomes responsive after opening youtube. So I generally use the more spartan toogles interface, but it still takes a couple of seconds for a video to start up, and then the connection speed according to stats for nerds is generally about 8 Mbps, so 4K videos don't run very far full screen between stoppages. Another computer right next to the compute stick was testing at about 35 Mbps wirelessly, the youtube performance was crisp and stats for nerds showed connection speeds of 28 Mbps and 4K videos played full screen no problem.

So is this the experience that others are seeing: really painful performance on internet explorer, especially youtube? BTW, this is on Windows 10 x64; firefox in ubuntu is even worse, crashing when viewing a 4K video in full screen mode. The compute stick can play 4K no problem from the SD card, just not from youtube.

• 1. Re: Painful internet explorer performance
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

Normally in order to fix this problem we can try to re-install the wireless driver, but I was looking for that driver and I found it, but according to our information this specific model of the Intel® compute stick works with Windows 10 32 bit, so based on that, are you sure the Windows version on your stick is Windows 10 64 bit?

If that is the case, did you delete the Windows version that came with the stick to install version Windows® 10 64 bit?

The problem is just with Youtube or it happens with another web site, like for example Daily Motion?

At this point we can try a BIOS update to the latest version.

Instructions to do a BIOS update using the F7 method:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html

Here is the .BIO file needed to do the update to version 0030, latest:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26448/BIOS-Update-SCCHTAX5-86A-?product=91065

This problem happens since day one or it is just recently?

Did you restore the BIOS to defaults?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 2. Re: Painful internet explorer performance
            Repeat%20Offender

Here's my System Information screen:

sysinfo.png

I think the x64-based PC part means that I am running in 64 bits.

Yes, I did delete 32-bits Windows.

In dailymotion I just get hijacked into ads that I can't break through, so I couldn't really test, but all web pages have been slow to load. I had to change my home page to one of Intel's forum pages just so that it wouldn't take forever to load it.

I upgraded the BIOS in early December; does that 0030 in the BIOS Version/Date string mean I am in 0030? Also I upgraded the 5 Intel drivers SC_Win10_64_Drivers_07252016, TXEI, GFX, Bluetooth, and wireless, as described in linuxium's video Dual booting on the CS125 Intel Compute Stick (STK1AW32SC) - YouTube  .

But something strange happened this morning. When I fired up my Compute Stick YouTube was working OK, showing 44 Mbps in Stats for Nerds. However, sound wasn't working, so I rebooted. Now I had sound, but YouTube was showing just a little slow:

stats.png

As can be seen from the jagged Buffer Health graph, the roughly 17 Mbps I was getting wasn't quite sufficient to stream @ 4K. I closed Internet Explorer and reopened and tried another video, and this time I was getting about 20 Mbps and was barely able to keep up with the video.

So the problem seems to have improved itself since I posted for no apparent reason, but the situation is still not ideal. The xfinity speed test beta showed my Compute Stick at 13 ms ping, 66 Mbps download, and 6.0 Mbps upload, so if I were getting even half that performance it actual practice life would be good. This is the first time since I have had the Compute Stick that YouTube has been running semi-OK.

• 3. Re: Painful internet explorer performance
              Intel Corporation

Hello :

In this case, the stick is working with a non-supported operating system, the Windows version that needs to be installed is 32 bit, for the features to work properly and to get the proper drivers for the stick.

Do you have the option to test the stick with Windows® 10 32 bit?

Please try that and let us the results.

Any other questions or if you need further information about this matter, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 4. Re: Painful internet explorer performance
                Repeat%20Offender

Seeing that it takes about 7 hours to install and update Windows, that's not a very palatable option. But the main question of the thread simply hasn't been addressed, which is: are other users able to stream 4K videos full screen from YouTube? Experimenting with dailymotion showed that it put the browser in a semi-crashed state. Also with YouTube, it seems that setting resolution to 4K but leaving the video in a window seemed to permit the connection speed to creep up around 20 Mbps, but then switching to full screen would cause it to drop abruptly and struggle to get much past 10 Mbps. So it seems that one needs a 4K TV hooked up to a Stick to compare results. Are you able to do this or do you lack the hardware on your end?

Why were the drivers I downloaded from Intel for the STK1A32SC not the proper drivers?

P.S. In another Intel forum, I could block my name and email address from appearing in my posts, but the data entered in that privacy-aware forum seems to be publicly available in this forum. Can you please repair this security breach immediately?

• 5. Re: Painful internet explorer performance
                  Intel Corporation

Hello :

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

In regard to your inquiry, I verified the technical product specification of the stick, and actually the maximum supported resolution is: 1920 X 1080 @ 60 Hz, 25 bpp, as you can confirm on the following link, page 12:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/computestick/STK1AW32SC_STK1A32SC_TechProdSpec.pdf
                  So, the hardware does not support 4K videos, if you need to work with 4K videos, then on the following link you will find the models of the Intel compute stick that supports it:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/compute-stick/intel-compute-stick-core.html

In regard to your question about the drivers, the reason for that is because the stick you have is 32 bit and you are using 64 bit, so the drivers are different for each versions.

In regard to the security problem, please try the following:

Once you are logged in, maybe the security settings are not activated, please go to “Edit Profile” go to the tab “Privacy”, please use the menu from the drop down and where it says “Email” and “Name” choose “Yourself” this will make that information private.

Regards

Alberto

• 6. Re: Painful internet explorer performance
                    Repeat%20Offender

Regarding the security issue, my Email and Name fields are already marked Yourself. If you can see them when logged in, then it's a security breach.

When you plug the STK1AW32SC into a 4K TV it sets the video mode as 3840X2160 @ 30 Hz by default. I just checked, and it can play a fairly problematic 4K video from the SD card full screen at this resolution. Same video from YouTube can always play 1920X1080 full screen, and sometimes 3840X2160 in a window, but when you then switch to full screen the connection speed drops and it starts skipping a lot. So there seems to be some sort of resource conflict that keeps it from downloading from YouTube over WiFi at the same time it's updating the whole screen.

I don't know why 64-bit Windows isn't supported on the STK1AW32SC; it's the same thing as the STK1A32SC, just with a Windows license, and the latter Stick is documented as supporting Windows 10, both 32- and 64-bits.

• 7. Re: Painful internet explorer performance
                      Intel Corporation

Hello :

In regard to your first question, no, I cannot see your name or email, so it seems to be the security options working fine.

When you connect the stick to a 4K TV, the stick will adjust to that resolution, but that is the resolution of the TV, it is not the one that is supported by the stick, so, all those problems are expected, and the fact that the videos from the SD card fairly worked, is because they are store on it, there is no internet streaming involved as occurs on Youtube.

The reason why it does not support the 64-bit version it because is a hardware limitation, they are just 2 different models and the Intel® STK1A32SC, when you purchased it, it came without any operating system, which gives you the option to install the 64-bit version, unlike the Intel® STK1AW32SC that already came with Windows® 10-32 bit preinstalled and it is only upgradable to Windows® 10 pro also 32-bit.

Regards

Alberto

• 8. Re: Painful internet explorer performance
                        Repeat%20Offender

Well, still trying to make 4K work. One thing I thought of was that, if you use the modem that Comcast rents you, it creates a WiFi hotspot so that a neighbor could potentially set up a bittorrent server or something on your cable modem and eat into your bandwidth. To turn off the hotspot you have to log into your xfinity account and disable it from there. Unfortunately this seemed to have no discernable effect. I have another solution in the works and eventually I will be able to test it.

The STK1AW32SC only has HDMI 1.4 so it's not capable of 3840X2160 @ 60 Hz with 4:4:4 chroma, but my NVIDIA Geforce 650 GTX and my Samsung 50HU6950 both have HDMI 1.4, but I can get 3840X2160 @ 60 Hz with 4:2:0 chroma due to the drivers NVIDIA produced for their card. Does Intel have any plans to write similar drivers for Intel HD graphics 400 to enable 4K @ 60 Hz with reduced chroma for Compute Sticks? Do the Core i3 and i5 Compute Sticks come with HDMI 2.0? I had a hard time finding this information on Intel's web sites.

4:2:0 chroma is OK for YouTube videos because I think they are all compressed at reduced chroma in the first place. It's not anywhere near acceptable for reading text on the monitor, however, so I find my self switching between 30 Hz and 60 Hz (or 24 or 25 Hz depending on the video frame rate) for viewing videos with my NVIDIA card. I composed an image for determining chroma:

tp3.bmp

To use tp3.bmp to determine chroma, save it to your computer and open it with Paint. Then hit <F11> and look at the two boxes. At 4:4:4 chroma the top half of the left box and the left half of the right box should be a uniform purple with a little glitch in the middle. At 4:2:0 chroma the top half of the left box consists of one blue and one red square! The two halves of the bottom half of the left box should look the same as should the two halves of the right half of the right box at 4:4:4 chroma. The chroma issue became serious in the last couple of years when everyone went out and bought a 4K monitor and you have to test it yourself because manufacturers aren't too forthcoming about whether their hardware is capable of 4:4:4 chroma when displaying 3840X2160 at all frame rates. It would be cool if Compute Sticks were so capable because you could just take one down to the store and test all their TVs, but this is not the case, at least for the STK1AW32SC.

For testing performance at 4K resolution, store demos such as found at Quang Nguyen - YouTube aren't optimal because they compress well and so have low data rates. Videos with more motion, such as (for 4K @ 30 Hz) 160502 오마이걸(OH MY GIRL) 한 발짝 두 발짝 [골든위크 정기공연 K-Attraction] - YouTube which requires upwards of 23 Mbps throughput, constitute a more critical benchmark.

While running firefox in ubuntu, I found that some videos, such as [LG UHD 4K/60FPS] Apink (에이핑크) - Mr.Chu (미스터 츄) - YouTube  or [LG UHD 4K/60FPS] AOA (에이오에이) - Miniskirt (짧은 치마) - YouTube have a 4K @ 60 Hz option which is not visible in internet explorer. I guess the reason is browser wars; if you go to YouTube test results are displayed and the box in the lower right needs a blue check mark to run such videos. You can get a plugin at WebM for Internet Explorer  that enables the upper right box, but I can't see how to get the lower right one to work. In the Edge browser you can subsequently navigate to about:flags and then set Enable VP9 video format to Always on and then all boxes will have blue checks in Edge, but this doesn't carry over to internet explorer.

If you just can't stand other browsers, an alternative is to download https://www.4kdownload.com/products/product-videodownloader and then you can download 4K @ 60 Hz videos  if you look for the MKV format. Of course Windows Media player can't display MKV videos so you also have to download an alternative player such as CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack then at last you can view them. Unfortunately they don't look all that spectacular because VP9 loses a lot of information that would be retained in other compression schemes and it's a little off-topic anyhow because my STK1AW32SC isn't capable of 4k @ 60 Hz, but I thought I would keep readers informed as to my state of progress on this issue.

Man, when you get to the end of a long post, the editor gets really unresponsive...

• 9. Re: Painful internet explorer performance
                          Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you so very much for sharing all those details on this thread and for all the links provided, it will be very useful for us and for all the peers viewing this thread.

In regard to your inquiry at this point there is no official statement from Intel saying that there will be a new driver to enable 4K @ 60 Hz with reduced chroma for Compute Sticks.

As you can confirm on the following link, there are no Intel® compute sticks with HDMI 2.0:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/86612,86613,91065,91064,91979,91980,91981

I will transfer your suggestion about the Intel® compute sticks being capable of supporting 4:4:4 chroma when displaying 3840X2160 at all frame rates to the proper department so they can check your suggestion, and the same thing with the problem with the editor in our forums.

Also, I just wanted to let you know that when using Ubunto and if you need assistance or if you have inquiries about that OS then in order to get support you just need to visit their forums, where you will be able to get peers assistance:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

Once again, thank you very much for providing the previous information and please let us know the results of your tests since those results will be very useful for all the peers on this thread.

Regards

Alberto

• 10. Re: Painful internet explorer performance
                            Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to verify if you got the chance to do the tests and if you have the results of them?

Regards

Alberto

• 11. Re: Painful internet explorer performance
                              Repeat%20Offender

My USB ethernet adapter finished its slow journey from China today, so I tried it out. However, it turned out to be slower than the WiFi connection was in the first place! On XFINITY Speed Test the USB ethernet adapter tested at 12 ms ping, 12.4 Mbps download and 4.7 Mbps upload whereas the WiFi connection tested at 12 ms ping, 48.2 Mbps download, and 6.1 Mbps upload. Oh well, I suppose that's what you get for $2.38. Also I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the bluetooth (19.11.1639.849) and wireless (19.20.3.4) drivers and installed the latest (0032) BIOS, so I got the most recent stuff.

One might think that 48.2 Mbps download is overkill for streaming the reference video 160502 오마이걸(OH MY GIRL) 한 발짝 두 발짝 [골든위크 정기공연 K-Attraction] - YouTube , but even with the toogles interface Toogles: Awesome Goggles for YouTube throughput drops precipitously, only sustaining around 25 Mbps when the video runs at 4K in a window and dropping to < 15 Mbps full screen, so the Compute Stick can't keep up. Some in Amazon Q & A have said that the Azulle Sticks with their external WiFi antennas can stream 4K, but I'm not sure because they aren't disclosing their testing methodologies and the Azulle folks are about as coy about their 4K capabilities as you are here at Intel.

I was able to experiment with WiFi direct and could stream the reference video, saved with 4K Video Downloader | Free Download YouTube Video | 4K Download as a *.mp4 file from my core i7 to my Compute Stick STK1AW32SC over WiFi and except for a little pixellation in the first few seconds of play it was smooth going once it got a little buffer health. So it's not the combination of resources used because that shows that the Compute Stick really is capable of downloading a relatively demanding 4K video while playing it full screen. Maybe I'll start another thread about my experiments with WiFi direct. I still can't figure out why streaming a video from a browser slows down WiFi throughput so much and streaming over WiFi direct doesn't.

• 12. Re: Painful internet explorer performance
                                Intel Corporation

Hello :

Once again thank you very much for providing those results, we really appreciate you took the time to shared that date with all the peers in our community.

We are sorry to hear that the problem remains after you get the new USB Ethernet adapter.

From our end the information posted previously is pretty much what we can conclude in reference to this situation, and it is that basically this is a hardware limitation on the stick plus the Ethernet controller not being powerful enough to do the tasks you are trying to do, since the stick is a very basic device, unlike a PC that has more hardware resources to be able to support different assignments.

Once again thank you very much for all the details posted previously.

Regards

Alberto

• 13. Re: Painful internet explorer performance
                                  Repeat%20Offender

OK, I was so upset about the results with the Brand-X USB Ethernet adapter that I splurged and got the top of the line name-brand Plugable USB2-E100. $11.95+free 2-day shipping and worth every penny. XFINITY Speed Test  now showed 10 ms ping, 81.1 Mbps download and 6.0 Mbps upload. This guy even has a blog about his USB Ethernet adapter products Selecting the Right USB-Ethernet Adapter for your Computer and Network | Plugable . When playing the reference video 160502 오마이걸(OH MY GIRL) 한 발짝 두 발짝 [골든위크 정기공연 K-Attraction] - YouTube just now it played smoothly at full screen 3840X2160 @ 30 Hz, sustaining roughly 50 Mbps. But running it again with another Internet Explorer window open the video was clearly missing frames even though it was getting sufficient bandwidth and had about 20 seconds of buffer health.

So I'm going to mark the thread as solved by this even though it's only a partial solution: I can sustain good bandwidth with this adapter but web pages still open slowly and it can take a couple of seconds for the keyboard to become responsive after opening YouTube. And I still maintain that the bandwidth problem is potentially soluble in software. But you know my TV, for example, comes with an IR blaster to program the HD DTA that decodes its cable signal even though it should be able to do so through the HDMI connection, just a SMOP. Sometimes it's a lot quicker to resort to a hardware solution than wait for the software to get fixed. Maybe I've got to concentrate more on ad blocking to get better response when opening web pages.

• 14. Re: Painful internet explorer performance
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you so very much for letting us know the results and for sharing all those comments on this thread, so in the case that any of the peers in our community try to establish the same configuration as the one you are using will be able to see your feedback and suggestions on this matter.

We are glad to hear that even though it is a partial solution, the stick is working better for you when using the Plugable USB2.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto