9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2017 2:46 PM by kgcode

STCK1A32WFC won't boot to Windows 8 anymore

kgcode

I purchased an STCK1A32WFC compute stick in December 2015 (running Windows 8), and it worked until late October 2016, when it refused to boot to Windows or respond to the keyboard. Due to health issues and work schedule, I didn't have time to troubleshoot it until the last week of December 2016. Sadly, the warranty on the Intel web site indicates that the warranty expired in late November 2016.

I did a lot of searching for ideas on what to try. I am using a known working wired keyboard and a known working powered USB hub.  (I've triple-checked that the keyboard, hub, and all cables are in perfect working order.) I am using the original poser supply, and all the original connectors that came with the stick. When I power on the stick, I get the blue LED and the initial screen presenting the four f-key choices.

In hundreds of boot attempts, I was able to get into the BIOS only once. I've tried a variety of "key mashing" patterns during power-up, but nothing seems to work. I got everything ready to update the firmware, but could not get the stick to respond to the f-key to do the update. I attempted to boot from an external bootable Windows USB image, but could not get past the initial screen presenting the four f-key choices. I have tried all the f-key menu choices, but only once did it actually respond and get me into the BIOS.  I haven't been able to get there again, and have never gotten into the other modes. I've spent several days of searching for ideas and attempting to boot, but no luck.

I discussed the issue with the local computer store that sold me the stick, and they said they wouldn't know how to do anything other than what I had already tried, and suggested that I just throw the thing away. I'm really hesitant to just give up and throw it away...it worked well when it worked, and if there's some way to revive it, I would like to try.

Any ideas on what I might try would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: STCK1A32WFC won't boot to Windows 8 anymore
          Repeat%20Offender

This happened to me I think because the timeout period was set to 0 seconds. I was able to fix this by making an Ubuntu live USB stick, booting from it starting up a terminal session with <CTRL>-<ALT>-T and entering the command

sudo efibootmgr -t 2

which set the timeout to 2 seconds. Unfortunately you can't do this because you can't get to the boot menu to tell the compute stick to boot to what's in the USB drive.

The solution provided is to power off the Compute Stick entirely and then hold down the power button for 3 seconds (actually I try for more like 3.5 seconds) and then release it. Then I get to a splash screen that says Bluetooth pairing; afterwards you get a splash screen where the <Fx> keys really do work.

If this doesn't work for you, you might be more specific as to whether the initial screen with the four <Fx> choices persists indefinitely or it progresses to a screen that says A bootable device has not been detected, or to no signal (but still blue LED lit).

• 2. Re: STCK1A32WFC won't boot to Windows 8 anymore
            N.Scott.Pearson

Ignoring the Linux content, James has it right. You need to power off the ICS by holding the power button until the blue LED goes out. Then, hold the power button for three seconds and release. As James described, you should see a Bluetooth Pairing display and then the power button menu will display. At this point, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup and then use F9 to reset the BIOS Configuration to defaults and F10 to exit saving the (default) configuration.

You should be able to boot Windows normally. If you cannot, go back into BIOS Setup. There, first select System Identification Information and verify that everything seems to be displaying properly (including Management Engine firmware revision). Hit ESC to exit this screen and then scroll right and select the Boot tab.  Check that the UEFI Boot Order parameter is showing the entry for the eMMC (should say "UEFI: Windows Boot Manager: Part 0: OS Bootloader").

Hope this helps,

...S

• 3. Re: STCK1A32WFC won't boot to Windows 8 anymore
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello kgcode,

I suggest you to try the suggestions above and see how it goes. If those suggestions don’t work, please try the following:

Try doing a BIOS recovery; follow the BIOS Recovery Instructions for Intel® Compute Stick

You can download the latest bios version here:
              https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26502/BIOS-Update-FCBYT10H-86A-

Once you have done a BIOS recovery try to access windows, if you still can’t access windows reset the system to factory defaults if you see the prompt F8 when you start the system.

Steps to reset your system:

1. Remove any SD card, if installed.
              2. Press F8 when you see this prompt during boot: F8 to Activate Windows 8.1* Recovery Mode.
              3. Select Troubleshoot.
              4. Select Reset your PC, then select Next.
              5. Select Just remove my files or reset your system removing everything, you will see the options.
              6. Select Reset to start the restore process.

I hope this can help.

Regards,

Ivan.
              • 4. Re: STCK1A32WFC won't boot to Windows 8 anymore
                Intel Corporation

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 5. Re: STCK1A32WFC won't boot to Windows 8 anymore
                  kgcode

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Health and work got in the way of working on this again until yesterday.

When I just power on normally, I get the Intel splash screen with the list of function keys displayed (in the lower right quadrant of the screen) and then it just hangs there forever. It does not respond to any of the function keys.

When I use the "hold the power button for 3 seconds" approach to powering up the stick, I do get the "Bluetooth pairing" messages for awhile and then get the list of function keys (in the middle of the screen).

• When I press F10 to get to the Boot Menu, the screen goes black and stays black forever. Nothing is displayed, and the system doesn't respond to any keystrokes.
                  • When I press F4 to update the BIOS (I have 86A.0031 and the latest at the time of this writing is 86A.0035), with a USB stick attached containing the latest BIO file, the USB stick lights up indicating that it is mounted, but the screen goes black and stays black forever. Nothing is ever displayed, and the system doesn't respond to any keystrokes. (After powering down, I removed the USB stick, since I won't be able to update the BIOS.)
                  • When I press F2 to enter the BIOS, the screen goes black and stays black for exactly 6 minutes. Then, after 6 minutes, the BIOS configuration screen suddenly comes up. After this, I noted the following in the BIOS screens:
                    • Main
                      • The date and time were wrong, so I set those.
                    • Configuration
                      • At the bottom of the screen, next to Boot Drive Order, it says "No Boot Drive".

I suspect the last bullet above I the main issue with booting to Windows. The BIOS doesn't seem to see the internal drive at all.

This scenario (getting the power button menu, pressing F2, waiting for 6 minutes at a black screen, and then getting into the BIOS and seeing that there is no boot drive) is 100% reproducible.

Given that the internal boot drive is not even seen by the BIOS, is this compute stick a lost cause?  Or is there anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance for any additional advice.  And once again, sorry for the extremely long delay in responding.

• 6. Re: STCK1A32WFC won't boot to Windows 8 anymore
                    Intel Corporation

Thank you the information kgcode, being that the case, I suggest you to contact support to get a replacement for the unit, you can submit your request here:
                    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@4
                    You can submit an online service request or you can do live chat.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 7. Re: STCK1A32WFC won't boot to Windows 8 anymore
                      kgcode

Since the unit was purchased in December 2015, and stopped working in October 2016, would I still be able to get a replacement for it after all this time?

• 8. Re: STCK1A32WFC won't boot to Windows 8 anymore
                        Intel Corporation

Hello kgcode,

Well, this unit has one year warranty from the moment you make the purchase but you can still submit a request at the link I posted to see what they can say.

Regards,

Ivan U.

• 9. Re: STCK1A32WFC won't boot to Windows 8 anymore
                          kgcode

Ivan -

Sadly, after running it up the chain at Intel, and explaining the timing of the failure and reasons for the delays, they replied with:

I receive an answer from my higher level, I was told that the warranty

has expired, unfortunately we cannot process the Return Material

Authorization (RMA).

So, I am out of luck.

Side note: In 2003 I purchased an Intel motherboard that is by far the most reliable piece of computer equipment I have ever purchased...it has been running flawlessly for 14 years.  Ironically, in 2015, I purchased this Intel Compute Stick, it lasted less than 10 months before it died, and is the least reliable piece of computer equipment I have ever purchased.