3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2017 7:59 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC5i5RYH PXE boot order

Tutneril

Using the latest bios RYBDWi35.86A version 361 dated 2016-12-02, I have several UEFI PXE boot problems:

a) I can't make IPV4 stay ahead of IPV6. I can move IPV4 in front of IPV6 in the boot order, F10 save settings, restart F2 and it's back with IPV6 first.

b) Using F12 at startup, it only tries IPV6 PXE

c) I'm not sure when it happened after multiple tries and bios re-updates, but with the F10 boot menu, it currently doesn't show any network boot options even though the network light is on.

The wired ethernet jack is plugged in to a live connection.

UEFI boot is selected.

Legacy boot is not selected.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: NUC5i5RYH PXE boot order
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Tutneril,

I have sent you a PM, please check it.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: NUC5i5RYH PXE boot order
            Intel Corporation

Thank you for answering my PM.

Since this same issue was escalated, I was able to get the official statement please check below for it; 

PXE works with Network Interface Card (NIC) of the system by making it function like a boot device. The PXE-enabled NIC of the client sends out a broadcast request to DHCP server, which returns with the IP address of the client along with the address of the TFTP server, and the location of boot files on the TFTP server. The following steps describe how it works:

1. NUC is booted. 
            2. The NIC of the machine triggers a DHCP request. 
            3. DHCP server intercepts the request and responds with standard information (IP, subnet mask, gateway, DNS etc.). In addition, it provides information about the location of a TFTP server and boot image. 
            4. When the client receives this information, it contacts the TFTP server for obtaining the boot image. 
            5. TFTP server sends the boot image, and the client executes it. 

Note: if you are reporting only IPv6 works, this maybe an issue with the PXE server or with the image. 

Regards,

Amy.

• 3. Re: NUC5i5RYH PXE boot order
              Intel Corporation

Tutneril, I am following up your thread.

Hope the information provided above was helpful, and if you have any questions please let us know.

Regards,

Amy.