9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2017 4:05 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel Galileo Gen 2 dead after booting from SD ?

garjoh

Hello Everyone,

I am working with the Galileo Gen 2 since to months for an university project. Everything worked well. Today I tried to create a boot image on a brand new sd card.

I pluged in the sd card in and afterwards the power supply. After 2minutes nothing worked as usually. Booth green Status LED's aren't blinkin  and my computer doesn't recognize the board anymore. It seems to me that the board is dead...Is there something I have done wrong or is it just a concicende that the board gave up at the point of booting from the sd ?

I used the image from the intel site for the Galileo Gen 2 .

• 1. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 dead after booting from SD ?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Garjoh,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Galileo Platform.

We’re sorry to hear that your Galileo Gen 2 is not working well. We’ll try to help you with this, so we would like to know more details:

• Did you use another power supply in this case? What are the specs of the power supply?
          • Did you get any issue while booting the Galileo with the new SD card?
          • Do the LEDs turn on when the power supply is connected? Or they don’t turn on anymore.
          • Did you connect any device or shield on the board before it stopped working?
          • If you connect the serial port, can you see something in the terminal?  

We are requesting this in order to identify the source of the issue and be able to further assist you properly. We will be awaiting for your response.

Regards,
          -Yermi
          • 2. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 dead after booting from SD ?
            garjoh

Hi Yermi,

Thank you for your fast response.

I used the original power supply Phihong 12V 1,25 A. I measured the voltage today with 12.2V.

No there was a normal sequence. At first i putted in the sd card, connected the power supply, waited for the USB LED and connected the USB cable to my laptop. After I started the Arduino IDE I recognized that no LED is blinking so I restarted the sequence I described here, but there was no response.

I also tried to get an response without the sd card , but there is no different.

The board is powered  and the processor heats up.

No LED turn on at all anymore.

There was no device connected.The only connection were the sd card, the power supply and the micro USB cable.

I have no possibility to connect my PC via an FDTI , but i ordered a FTDI to USB converter today.

I hope there is only an issue with the firmware, but I am afraid the board is dead, because there is no LED blinking at all.

Thank you for your help.

Regards, Johannes

• 3. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 dead after booting from SD ?
              Intel Corporation

Hi Johannes,

Thanks for all the information provided.  It seems to be a warranty case, we would like to suggest you to contact the place of purchase and let them know about this issue, if you got this board recently, it might be under warranty, however if they cannot help with this, we’d recommend you to submit a new ticket and the Warranty team will receive the ticket and contact you back to provide further assistance: https://supporttickets.intel.com/?lang=en-US.

Regards,
              -Yermi

• 4. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 dead after booting from SD ?
                FGT

garjoh wrote:

No there was a normal sequence. At first i putted in the sd card, connected the power supply, waited for the USB LED and connected the USB cable to my laptop. After I started the Arduino IDE I recognized that no LED is blinking so I restarted the sequence I described here, but there was no response.

I also tried to get an response without the sd card , but there is no different.

The board is powered and the processor heats up.

I hope there is only an issue with the firmware, but I am afraid the board is dead, because there is no LED blinking at all.

Thank you for your help.

Regards, Johannes

Hi Johannes,

Remember there is no reason to expect any blinking LED only for powering on your Intel Galileo Gen2. Actually, I wonder why you expect your Intel Galileo starts blinking without loading any blinking sketch... did you load any sketch?

However, if no LED is turned on, then I think there is a hardware problem indeed.

Would you please tell me if there is any LED turned on once you plug in the Intel Galileo power without SD card and without being connected to the computer (i.e. only power connected to your Intel Galileo)?

Fernando.

• 5. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 dead after booting from SD ?
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Johannes,

Could you please post a screenshot of the Board while it is powered only by the power supply? As FGT has mentioned.

Regards,
                  -Yermi

• 6. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 dead after booting from SD ?
                    garjoh

Hi guys,

sorry for my late response. But there a lot of examinations at this time.

As you can see there is no LED activity at all. I shot the photo after 3min I plugged in the power supply.  I didn't plugged in the USB cable, because if there is any chance that the board is not dead, I don't want to the damage it like this. power_supply.jpegno_Led.jpeg

• 7. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 dead after booting from SD ?
                      FGT

Hi garjoh,

If the power supply is working fine, then I think your card is damaged...

I'd measure the power supply in order to verify it's providing 12v and it has the right polarity, just in case.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 8. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 dead after booting from SD ?
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Johannes,

Thanks for the screenshots posted. Your board seems to be damaged, so our best suggestion would be to submit a new ticket using this form https://supporttickets.intel.com/?lang=en-US and the Warranty team will provide further assistance.

Regards,
                        -Yermi

• 9. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 dead after booting from SD ?
                          Intel Corporation

Hi Johannes,

Could you submit a ticket to the Warranty team?

Regards,

-Yermi