Here you can find some troubleshooting that you can perform.
1. Test the behavior of the system without any drivers (Intel or NVIDIA)
2. Is this happening only with the Windows Movies app?
3. Is there any image on the second screen?
4*. Please install the latest driver from our website (18.104.22.16852)
*Please follow these steps to do so:
1. Remove both Intel and NVIDIA drivers from the device manager, then install Intel drivers by following the steps below and finally, install the NVIDIA drivers
2. Access the device manager and look for display adapters
3. Right click and uninstall the driver, make sure to select "Delete the driver software for this device"
4. Download the driver
5. Open this link: for Windows 10/8: http://intel.ly/1PdmvLd or Windows 7*: http://intel.ly/25JPVYX
6. Disconnect the system from the internet and proceed with steps in the guide above (step# 4)
Graphics drivers (Intel): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26464/Intel-Graphics-Beta-Driver-15-45-?product=88345
NVIDIA drivers: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/113444
Please let me know how it goes.
Okay here are the results to your guide above (#1-4):
1) I uninstalled and deleted both Intel and Nvidia drivers then re-installed the latest Intel drivers. I could not test the behavior on the external monitor because the Intel Graphics Control Panel and Windows display settings would not detect the external monitor. I tried displayport connection, HDMI connection and HDMI to DVI connection but still the external monitor would not be detected. I then re-installed the latest Nvidia drivers and tested the behavior and the results are the same where the movie screen is black with only audio playing.
2) Yes it seems to be only the Windows Movie & TV app. I have found though that I can play my own movies through the app with no problem, it is only the purchased movies I am having this problem with.
3) If you are referring to the laptop display as the 'second screen' then I have it disabled usually and only use the external monitor. When I enable it I can play the movie on the laptop display with no problems, just not the external monitor.
4) I have installed the latest drivers but the behavior is the same.
Just to clarify, are you getting any image displayed on the external monitor while having the Intel HD Graphics 530 enabled?
If it is only the paid movies, then it should be an issue with the app (it would be good to contact Microsoft about the issue).
Please try to reproduce different content on the external monitor with other video playback apps and let me know.
If Intel 530 is enabled and Nvidia is enabled the external monitor displays fine (except for Movies & TV app). If Intel 530 is enabled and Nvidia is disabled nothing will display on the external monitor because the Intel 530 does not detect the external monitor and only the laptop display will work. If Intel 530 is disabled and Nvidia is enabled the external monitor works fine including the Movies and TV app, except the laptop display will become distorted.
I have contacted microsoft on the issue but seeing as the movie will work when disabling the Intel 530 graphics it seems like it is a Intel 530 problem.
Other video content on the external monitor is unaffected. I can stream videos in Google Chrome and I can also play personal video files in VLC media player with no issues.
Hello Brandin_000 ,
Thank you for the clarification!
You could be facing 2 issues, the Intel HD Graphics 530 is faulty or the laptop optimization between the dedicated graphics card (NVIDIA) and the integrated GPU (Intel) is not working properly.
I am saying this because none of them are working a 100% properly, we have tested drivers and different configurations which reflected the issues.
My recommendation would be contacting the laptop manufacturer to check warranty options.
Hope you can get this solved at the soonest
Thank you I will contact the manufacturer.
Sorry for jumping in this thread all of a sudden.
Quick question... What happens if you try to play any of the 3 movies on the external monitor using a different application, other than "Movies & TV"?
Note: this is while having both Intel(R) HD 530 and Nvidia GTX 1060* enabled and with all drivers up to date.
From the description you kindly provided, to me this looks like an HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) issue all over the place. For a little bit more of information on HDCP you can check this link Frequently Asked Questions about HDMI Technology (DisplayPort is also HDCP compliant).
So, what to do then? I would suggest some additional tests:
1. Intel HDCP implementation works only for the primary display, so plese try configuring the External monitor as the primary display when trying to play the movies.
2. Check that you have the latest BIOS for your laptop (BIOS updates usually update the video BIOS, or vBIOS for short). This might fix HDCP issues causing by Hardware switching between video cards.
Let us know if this makes any difference.
Due to the nature of the Movies & TV app I don't think it will allow you to play the purchased movies on other applications. I "downloaded" the movies, located the files, then tried to play them with VLC media player but they were distorted and inaudible. Other movies files worked fine on VLC.
Yes I noticed my Nvidia control panel sometimes would say that the monitor connection was not HDCP compliant that's why I tried other connection types (HDMI and Displayport). Even when the control panel confirmed HDCP compliance the problem still occurred.
As mentioned in previous replies it's probably a hardward issue since the Intel GPU doesn't recognize the external display at all thru the Intel Graphics Control Panel or the Windows Display Settings. Also the Nvidia GPU does not control the laptop display correctly either. Either way I've already sent the laptop back to the manufacturer for service as recommended.
Still waiting on the manufacturer to finish repairs.
Thank you for your follow up.