Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

i7 4790k high temps???

BVice
Beginner

The temperature of my Intel reaches a maximum of 80 degrees Celsius under heavy load.

Playing GTA V at ultra settings results in an average of 70-80 degrees Celsius is this normal and safe for an i7 4790k? It also drops to 60 very quickly after going in windows mode. When I pause the game it drops to 65-70.

I downloaded Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and all tests passed.

Also I am using the stock cooler on it and it works.

Temps at idle are like 30-35 degrees

Shall I upgrade my cooler to a better one?

My case also has 4 vents and the airflow isn't bad at all, I think...

The cpu frequency is 4,0, so it's not overclocked!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Have you read this document?

Doc

0 Kudos
BVice
Beginner

Hi, Al Hill

Thanks for the answer...

No, I haven't read it, I downoladed Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and on the System Infromation I took a look at : "Max Core Frequency" and at Recent maximum says : 4,38GhZ.

When I tested it in GTA V again the frequency was like 4,20, so, Turbo mode is enabled or not? Maybe because of turbo mode I achieve such high temperatures? Sorry I gave my PC to an expert to mount the cpu , motherboard, ram etc., I am not sure what he did in BIOS, and I don't know very much about these things and how to proper use Intel Extreme Tuning.

I bought a new cooler (Hyper 212 EVO) and a new thermal paste (Artic Silver 5). Hopefully it will help and Hyper 212 evo is capable on handling a cpu which is in turbo mode.

I am waiting on an answer.

0 Kudos
BVice
Beginner

All default

0 Kudos
BVice
Beginner

Ok, I disabled turbo boost by setting the performance to 99%, instead of 100% in power control in control panel.

The temps seems to be lower it didn't pass 70°C, but it's still a lot for an i7 so I think I should be good with a better cooler.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

All Hill, thanks for your assistance.

To: DreadGTR

Hello DreadGTR,

Could you please provide me with the results that you get from:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

Once that you reply I will continue with the investigation of your concern in order to provide you with additional assistance.

Best regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DreadGTR,

I would like to know if the information provided to you was able to solve your concern?

If the issue persists, could you please provide me with the results that you get from:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

Once that you reply I will continue with the investigation of your concern in order to provide you with additional assistance.

Best regards,

Angie
0 Kudos