1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2017 3:12 PM by Intel Corporation

Flashing & Re-flashing Edison on breakout boards.

monahanz

I am writing up a web document about using the Edison to run some antique "S100 Bus" computer hardware. See:-

S100 Computers - Edison CPU Board if interested.

I have become very frustrated with the process of flashing and re-flashing Edison boards in the breakout board configuration.  Here is what I have in the write-up so far:-

Running Edison Linux  Software.
      Intel utilized a brand of Linux called Yocto to run this board.  Yocto originated in 2010 from a Linux Foundation workgroup whose goal is to produce tools and processes that will enable the creation of Linux distributions for embedded software that are independent of the underlying architecture of the embedded software itself.   While not on the original chips the recent Edison boards come with Linux already installed.

When you obtain your Edison you can bring up the board as follows from your PC (or Mac) via a USB/serial link.  It is a fairly straightforward process.  You first need to provide power to the Edison breakout board.  Power can be supplied as 7-15 volts to J21 (see the picture below), on the actual breakout board (be careful, note the polarity), or (more safely),
      via J16 from a PC USB serial port.  

J16 is a fully USB compatible, "micro AB", OTG (power “on the go”) port. If you plug a micro A cable into this port, the Intel® Edison module will connect to a PC as the host; if you plug a micro B cable into this port, the Intel® Edison module will connect to the PC as a device. USB micro-A style connectors are not too common. I use a USB micro-B style connector in J16 to just supply power.   You can use any typical USP phone charger etc.  We will use the other USB port, J3, that uses a micro-B style socket/connector to communicate over a serial link with the PC as described below.

Besides the Intel breakout board which we use here, you can also bring up the Edison in the Intel Arduino motherboard. This is also described on the 
      Edison web site.

Serial3

While the Edison comes with  Linux Yocto, ready to run on this board you will need to configure the board to run with your home WiFi settings as well as a few other things. 

One of the disadvantages of working with the Edison (at least the breakout board), is that "flashing" it is somewhat temperamental.  I found the Intel web site instructions confusing if not actually wrong. What seems to work for me is if you get a new Edison to flash is just connect the J21 port with a micro-B socket to your PC USB port and run the Intel flashing software.  For some reason if I want to later re-flash the board I have to bring the Edison command line up (J3/power J21), and flash over the J3 port.  If I try to re-flash with the J16 port the "Next" button never lights up. 

On the same web site Intel supplies a "manual" approach to flashing the Edison.  This has got to be an exercise in frustration.  Convoluted/unclear instructions, long file paths, multiple downloads -- never got it to work. 

Am I missing something? Have others had the same experience?  Is the a better description (newbie, step by step format) written up elsewhere?

John

• 1. Re: Flashing & Re-flashing Edison on breakout boards.
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi monahanz,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel Edison Platform.

I have just follow the guide and successfully install newest version of the Edison image, I would like to know which steps you are finding confusing in this guide (https://software.intel.com/en-us/flashing-firmware-on-your-intel-edison-board-windows ):

1) Download the Edison image Downloads for Intel® Edison Module | IoT | Intel® Software .

2) Extract the contents of the image. See image below.

Select Extract all and choose where you want to Extract it.

mona flash 1.png

I choose to keep it in my Downloads file.

mona flash 2.PNG

3) Download the latest copy of dfu-util.exe and libusb-1.0.dll Index of /releases/dfu-util-0.8-binaries/win32-mingw32 .  Place these files in the same folder you extracted the image file to. See image below.

mona flash 3.PNG

4) Open a new command window by clicking Start. Type cmd and press Enter.

5) Navigate to the folder you extracted the image .zip file to, then enter the command: flashall.bat. See image below.

In blue you will see the path you need to use in the command window.

mona flash 4.png

mona flash 5.PNG

Finally this is what you will see after successfully flashing the image to your Edison:

mona flash 6.PNG

Hope you find this information useful, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
          -Jose.

• 2. Re: Flashing & Re-flashing Edison on breakout boards.
            monahanz

OK Jose, this will probably take several steps back and forth.  A real pain I know but hopefully it will help others.

Download the pre-built Yocto* complete image for your board. You can find the most recent version available on the main downloads page: https://software.intel.com/iot/hardware/edison/downloads  

Extract the contents of the image file. <--------------------TO WHERE?  WITH WHAT?

An Extracting program should be identified. A properly done setup would actually include the extracting program at the SAME location.

Is it too much to ask that dfu-util.exe and libusb-1.0.dll be included in the SAME download.

Modern day Windows compressed files are self-extracting if the user clicks on them.   As a minimum, the program should create a folder in C:\Program Files and extract all that is needed to that folder.   

One click, done. Is this asking too much? Let’s move away from the 90’s software!

BTW, It’s note even clear to me why these programs are compressed in the first place.  These days users think nothing of downloading complete videos many times these sizes.

Gone are the days of phone modems!!!

Can you address the above before I go further

John

• 3. Re: Flashing & Re-flashing Edison on breakout boards.
              Intel Corporation

Hi monahanz,

I will address your concerns in order:

1) "Extract the contents of the image file. <--------------------TO WHERE?  WITH WHAT?"

When we say "extract" we say to use any zip program such: WinZip, 7zip, etc. This in order to unzip the folder, you can locate this unzip folder where ever you will like.

2) "Is it too much to ask that dfu-util.exe and libusb-1.0.dll be included in the SAME download."

We will take your suggestions to include this files in the image folder, still you can find the link to this files in my previous reply, here it is (Index of /releases/dfu-util-0.8-binaries/win32-mingw32 ). It only takes a minute to copy and paste this files.

3) "Modern day Windows compressed files are self-extracting if the user clicks on them.   As a minimum, the program should create a folder in C:\Program Files and extract all that is needed to that folder."

I think you might be confuse the image folder is not a program, is only a compilation of different files that together form the Edison's firmware. If you are looking for a program to flash your image I would recommend to use the Flash Tool Lite you can find it in here (IoT - Using Flash Tool Lite | Intel® Software ).

4) "BTW, It’s note even clear to me why these programs are compressed in the first place.  These days users think nothing of downloading complete videos many times these sizes."

This files are compressed in order to only make one download for all the contents of the Edison. This in order to avoid downloading all the files individually, please see the image below to see all files unzip.

mona flash 2.PNG

Hope you find this information useful, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
              -Jose.

• 4. Re: Flashing & Re-flashing Edison on breakout boards.
                monahanz

Bare wit me Jose, I am going to take this one step at a time for other potential users!

Your first instruction says:-

1.  Download the Edison image Downloads for Intel® Edison Module | IoT | Intel® Software .

2) Extract the contents of the image. See image below.

When I go to that page I (assume) pick the "Windows 64 bit option".

The download gives me a file intel_edison_setup_win_v2016.2.007(39).exe

This is not a .zip file how can one extract it?

Waiting for reply?  before next step.

I just want to comment that the overall approach Intel has taken here is for the convenience of Intel maintance/support staff and NOT the users.  Sure its harder to keep updates if they have to be gathered together in one file.

The goal for popular Edison use should be ONE CLICK by the USER.  Whoever is in charge of this stuff at Intel should look at how for example java script updates are done. (See Download Free Java Software).   The primitive approach here is from the 90's.

Anybody else out there agree?

John

• 5. Re: Flashing & Re-flashing Edison on breakout boards.
                  Intel Corporation

Hi monahanz,

No problem we can go one step at a time, I'm here to help.

Regarding the first step, since we are following the manual flashing, you have to download the pre-built Yocto* complete image as stated in the guide (IoT - Flashing the firmware on a system with Windows* (manual process) | Intel® Software ). See image below.

mona download.PNG

Once you have downloaded the image, follow the steps in my previous reply and let me know if you have any more questions.

I will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
                  -Jose.

• 6. Re: Flashing & Re-flashing Edison on breakout boards.
                    monahanz

OK Jose, that was not clear. I downloaded the "Poky image" and placed it in a folder C:\Flash_Edison.

I then went to  download the dfu-util.exe and libusb-1.0.dll  files and place them in the same folder.

My first problem is the dfu-util.exe file on the web page Index of /releases/dfu-util-0.8-binaries/win32-mingw32 is only about ~121K.  It downloaded on my system to a file of 124K.  In your example its 653K ! (I'm running 64 bit windows BTW) do see a Win64 option there.

Anyway I entered flashall.bat at the CMD prompt in the above C:\Flash_Edison folder.

It would be helpful it the site told the user beforehand WHEN to hookup the USB port/power and what USB ports to hookup. (J3, J16 both ???)

The first time I have it hooked up beforehand. nothing happened. (see below).  I rebooted Windows and entered flashall.bat again.

I connected a breakout board to the J16 port when asked for by the program.  Nothing happened!  I new empty windows drive did appear however.

Eventually it looks like the program timed out. asking for a -- recovery option.

No idea what that means, no help on the Intel web page!!!!

Here is a picture of the CMD window. Will wait for next steps!

Flash2.JPG

• 7. Re: Flashing & Re-flashing Edison on breakout boards.
                      adamzxtan

Hi monahanz,

There are 2 ways to flash Linux Yocto onto Intel Edison, which is: 1) automatic or 2) manual way.

The automatic way would be going to this link: Downloads for Intel® Edison Module | IoT | Intel® Software and download the Intel IoT Developer Kit, which is the .exe file that will help automate flashing and setting up your Intel Edison. Depending on your host PC operating system, you choose the installer type whether its for Windows-64 bit, Linux or Mac OSX. You can see the image below if you're unsure of which installer I'm referring to.

Capture.PNG

I would highly recommend using this "automatic method" if this is your first time using Intel Edison. The .exe installer will help install all the necessary drivers for your host PC to flash the Linux Yocto image onto Intel Edison. Besides, you only need to plug in the J16 USB OTG port on Intel Edison for flashing the Linux Yocto image. All you have to do is follow the step-by-step guide of IoT - Step 2: Run Setup Tool | Intel® Software

For the manual way (which is a nightmare for me) to flash the Linux Yocto onto Intel Edison, you would have to follow Jose's steps.

I hope that my suggestion helps.

Regards,

Adam

• 8. Re: Flashing & Re-flashing Edison on breakout boards.
                        monahanz

The problem is with re-flashing Adam. While the "automatic method" seems to work on a new Edison on the 5 units I have here (with breakout boards), it just hangs when I try to re-flash/update the units.  The "Next" button never lights up when it is connected to the PC.  That is why I'm going through this convoluted process!

John

• 9. Re: Flashing & Re-flashing Edison on breakout boards.
                          adamzxtan

Sorry, maybe I've misunderstood your question.

Just to clarify. By "re-flashing", do you mean after going through all the initial setup of the Intel Edison and working on it, then somehow you decide to flash the Yocto image onto Intel Edison again?

• 10. Re: Flashing & Re-flashing Edison on breakout boards.
                            monahanz

This a long story Adam -- outlined on another tread.  I have been using these Edison breakout boards to run a large ".service".  The .service works as it should on power-up but Linux is not coming back to the user logon.   The suggestion is to start with a new Linusx image as something may have got messed up.

So to answer your question,  by re-flashing I mean getting the units back to a state as close to possible to an initial factory state + the first "automatic flash" that you mention above.  As I said just "automatic flashing" hangs.  The Intel web page suggests that in this case one should use the "manual method"  -- that's where I am stuck currently.

John

• 11. Re: Flashing & Re-flashing Edison on breakout boards.
                              Intel Corporation

Hi monahanz,

When the message that is highlighted in the image below appear. Did you unplug and then plug in your board ?(You have to do this in order to flash the image)

mona cmd.PNG

Also did you installed the drivers for Edison??

Best Regards,
                              -Jose.

• 12. Re: Flashing & Re-flashing Edison on breakout boards.
                                monahanz

Yes Jose, I tried plugged in beforehand and while the program was waiting no difference.  The windows empty disk window does appear however. So it looks like the unit is being recognized.

I then tried flashall --recovery.

got back:-

>>

First very frustrating -- you would think that Intel would have this file in the above download!!!

Anyway downloaded it.  Got a .tar file.  which when I unpack (with 7-zip)  gives a host of files and folders. None are .exe files

Will this redicilous runaround ever end!

What does one do next????

John

• 13. Re: Flashing & Re-flashing Edison on breakout boards.
                                  Intel Corporation

Hi monahanz,

Seems like you encounter an error with the flashall, this issue is very rare. Sometimes it can be solved by flashing the image from a PC with Linux, please follow the steps in this thread (Flashall.sh and pre-built xFSTK) . If this doens't work please let us know.

Now in your other thread (Re: Running a C program on an Edison Breakout board on power up. ) you mention that you had 6 Edison breakout boards, does this mean that you have 6 other Edison Compute Modules? If you indeed have another Edison Module, please try to  flash the image with this module to see if the problem is the current Edison Module that you are using.

Best Regards,
                                  -Jose.

• 14. Re: Flashing & Re-flashing Edison on breakout boards.
                                    monahanz

Jose I have to travel to Europe this week. Will not be back until late next week, so will have to put this on hold until then.

I have quiet a few of these Edisons with the minibreakout boards also have one Arduino motherboard).  I will try some others when I get back, but at least one other gave the same symptoms.  I don't know if this helps: I can get the Yocto OS to sign on with a serial or WiFI connection, from Eclipse or with the Windows program WINSCP. Its just it/they will not re-falsh.

John

1 2 Previous Next