5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2017 8:33 PM by marcuso

Whre are the drivers for the Intel Arduino 101 board?

MKE

I'm not having luck getting the Intel Arduino 101 board to communicate with the Arduino v1.8.0 IDE package.  I had installed the "Intel Curie Boards" package from the board manager, but haven't yet found the right USB driver for this device.  The Windows device manager shows two "Arduino 101" devices (I only attached only one physical device): both with PID=8087, one with DID=0AB6 and the other with DID=0ABA. The drivers in the IDE do not support this PID/DID combination, and the FTDI drivers do not support it either.  Does anyone know where the drivers are for this particular device?

• 1. Re: Whre are the drivers for the Intel Arduino 101 board?
          marcuso

Hi,

The Arduino 101 should work without any additional drivers being installed in windows. As long as you can see the device in the device manager then it is installed.

Goto this windows screen (windows 10)

Start->settings->devices->Connected devices

In the list you should see Arduino 101 Serial Monitor (A comm port number)

If you dont see this, then you might have a USB device conflict, follow the section on here

Arduino - Troubleshooting

If you do see the correct device go to the IDE and do a Get Board Info using the port from above ie com 6 for me

If all this fails, install the latest IDE (I am using 1.6.12). Also make sure you have the 101 board installed in the IDE (which you said you do), and try this sketch

-------------

void setup() {

// put your setup code here, to run once:

Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop() {

// put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

Serial.println("Im sorry Dave I can not let you do that....");

}

--------

Use control J to verify/compile

Upload the elf to the board (control U)

You should see this in the output window of the IDE

Sketch uses 17,552 bytes (11%) of program storage space. Maximum is 155,648 bytes.

Open the serial manager ctrl shift M from the IDE and make sure the baud is set to 9600, you should see this output

..I can not let you do that....

Im sorry Dave I can not let you do that....

Im sorry Dave I can not let you do that.

If you can not upload to the board post your errors here, the 101 is the only board I've actually noticed
          does require an actual Master Reset sometimes - there are 2 resets on the board, make sure you use it

if you are told to from the IDE output window.

It's a great board, so it wont be long before you are up and running with it, good luck.

Thanks

Marcus

• 2. Re: Whre are the drivers for the Intel Arduino 101 board?
            MKE

Hi Marcus,

First off, thanks for responding to my question, especially on New Years Eve!  I really appreciate your efforts.

Dredging up a Windows 10 system, I verified that it does show up as a COM3 on Windows 10 however, that does me no good.  I need to develop my project on a Windows 8.1 system and that does not have in-box drivers that are compatible with this device.  I apologize for not including that nugget of information in my original post.

Checking the Arduino website, it does say that drivers are necessary, but the ones they have in the IDE v1.8.0 (and other places the site points to) are also not compatible with this device.   And it's not just a system issue with the Lenovo Ideapad S400 that I am using as it also fails to install a driver on an HP model 15-f162dx.  The common thread is Windows 8.1.

So, modifying my original question: are there any Windows 8 drivers for the Arduino 101 board?

Thanks, Mike

• 3. Re: Whre are the drivers for the Intel Arduino 101 board?
              MKE

I found a solution that Intel might want to pay attention to.

When I originally posted this issue I had installed the Arduino v1.8.0 IDE on a Windows 8.1 machine and installed "Intel Curie Boards by Intel v1.0.7" in the board manager.  The device showed in the "Other" category in the device manager with no drivers installed while the IDE did not show a port for the "Arduino/Genuino 101" board that I had selected.

Here's where things got interesting: when I changed the Board Manager to point to "Intel Curie Boards by Intel v1.0.6" a driver did get installed and shows up as COM3 in the IDE and the device manager does show Arduino 101 as COM3.   And, finally, changing back to the v1.0.7 the device still shows up as COM3.  So I'm thinking the driver is not getting installed with v1.0.7, but is retained from v1.0.6.  

Who owns the board package for "Intel Curie Boards by Intel v1.0.7"?  They've got some splaining to do!

• 4. Re: Whre are the drivers for the Intel Arduino 101 board?
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello MKE,

I am glad to know that you were able to find the answer to your concern.

At this moment, if you would like to have additional information about Intel Curie Boards by Intel v1.0.7, and Arduino 101 board, please go to the following Intel Community:

Intel® Curie Support Community

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
                Angie

• 5. Re: Whre are the drivers for the Intel Arduino 101 board?
                  marcuso

Angie,

Am I seeing this right ? Have you posted in the above message response, a link to this very same forum ? Are you trying to create a recursive thread ? Make sure the forums LIFO stack can handle it  :-)

Intel® Curie Support Community

I don't think posting a link in a message response to the same forum is too useful. I think Mike is already aware of this forum, as that's where he posted the message.

Did you mean another support forum ? There is this one on the Arduino site which is more for the Arduino IDE and non board specific issues

Arduino 101

Thanks.

Marcus