2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2010 11:36 AM by Darkhog

How much power does BOXDH55HC require

Darkhog

I'm building a computer and I'm trying to understand the power supply that will be required.  I know the i3 will take 73w of power, but I couldn't find anything on the DH55HC specs page specifying power.

When I have the i3 in this board, how many watts should I add for the board?  Does the 73w include the GPU?  If not, how much more for the GPU?  I'd like to allow for the possibility that I might disable the GPU and add a video card, so I'd like to understand the GPU characteristics.

I assume this fluctuates based on drives and USB devices attached.  For HDD, I can look it up (e.g., WD6400AAKS ) and determine that it needs 8.3 watts of additional power. Is there a way to estimate the USB power usage?  Suppose I want to allow for at least 4 powered USB devices, how much do I add?

I'm using the board for network and for sound as well.

I also understand that I can go out and buy a 650w power supply and all will work just fine.  But I was really impressed that I could build an Atom based machine for 63w of power, and since this new machine will be on all the time I'd the power supply to be close to what I actually need.

• 1. Re: How much power does BOXDH55HC require
          Cpt.Dogfruit

You need to look in the technical product specification page 52:

The +5 V standby line from the power supply must be capable of providing adequate
          +5 V standby current. Failure to do so can damage the power supply. The total
          amount of standby current required depends on the wake devices supported and
          manufacturing options.
          Additional power required will depend on configurations chosen by the integrator.
          The power supply must comply with the indicated parameters of the ATX form factor
          specification.
          • The potential relation between 3.3 VDC and +5 VDC power rails
          • The current capability of the +5 VSB line
          • All timing parameters
          • All voltage tolerances
          For example, for a system consisting of a supported 95 W processor (see Section 1.4
          on page 14 for information on supported processors), up to 16 GB DDR3 memory,
          integrated graphics, one hard disk drive, one optical drive, and all board peripherals
          enabled, the minimum recommended power supply is about 340W with current ratings
          as listed in Table 29.
          Table 29. Recommended Power Supply Current Values
          Output Voltage 3.3 V 5 V 12 V1 12 V2 -12 V 5 VSB
          Current 5 A 16 A 10 A 10 A 0.1 A 0.5 A

• 2. Re: How much power does BOXDH55HC require
            Darkhog

Thank you Dogfruit!  That's great information.  Do they have the rating for the same configuration, except with integrated graphics off?

I might at some point choose to use a card, and so I'd like to be able to add that in (which means I'd first have to subtract out the integrated graphics, if possible).

Thanks!