13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 12:04 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC5iRYH - Compatible SSD and installation (Help!!)

AugusM

Hey guys!

Before reading this, I just want to tell you that I'm not a computer genius, so please, forgive me if I ask some dumb questions.

I've a NUC5iRYH with only 125 GB of storage. So I would like to replace it by something more impressive like 500 GB.

But here comes the issue, I don't know exactly which SSD is compatible with my NUC. I've done some research and it seems that the

Samsung SSD 500 Go Série 850 EVO M.2 (MZ-N5E500BW) is compatible. I just want to be sure before purchasing one.

And I read on the forum that there is some kind of maneuver to do after replacing the SSD... Is it hard? How do I proceed?

I've also a few questions:

1- How do I move my current files, games to the new storage?

2- Do I need to repurchase Windows 10 once I've changed the SSD?

Thanks!

English is my third language, so if you don't understand something, don't hesitate to ask me, I'll try my best to write something understandable.

• 1. Re: NUC5iRYH - Compatible SSD and installation (Help!!)
          AugusM

Oh yeah by the way, I'm going to sleep, it's quite late here. I'll answer you guys tomorrow.

• 2. Re: NUC5iRYH - Compatible SSD and installation (Help!!)
            lw1948

Hello AugusM

1. Look to me that the SDD Samsung SSD 500 Go Série 850 EVO M.2 (MZ-N5E500BW), are you planing to buy is NOT compatible to use in your NUC. It has Sata M.2 form factor. Your NUC Product Specification defines that the storage device shall be "Internal SATA3 support for 2.5" HDD/SSD (up to 9.5 mm thickness). If you like Samsung product for example this one shall fit your requirements: Saamsung 850 EVO Series MZ-75E500 500GB SSD
            SATA III. This is only one example to show you the form factor. I believe that your current SSD is not M.2 form factor.

2. In order to move all contents form the old dis to the new one, you shall make am image of you current disk and than restore it to the new one. You can use Windows 10 futures to do this: Setting->Update&Security->Backup->Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7)->Create a System Image.

3.After installing a new SSD you will need to reactivate your Windows 10:http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: NUC5iRYH - Compatible SSD and installation (Help!!)
              N.Scott.Pearson

No, the MZ-N5E500BW should, in theory, work just fine. This is a 500GB M.2 SATA3 SSD. The M.2 socket in the RY NUCs supports this type just fine. It is true, however, that this socket also supports M.2 NVMe SSDs, such as the Samsung 950/960 PRO or Toshiba/OCZ RD400, and these NVMe SSDs will perform significantly better than any SATA3 SSDs.

If the existing drive is a 2.5" SATA3 drive installed into the RYH NUC's drive bay, a M.2 SSD can be installed into the M.2 sockets and the SATA3 drive's contents can be migrated to the M.2 SSD directly (and the SATA3 drive used subsequently for data file storage). If, on the other hand, the existing drive is either a M.2 SATA3 SSD or a M.2 NVMe SSD, then moving the contents of the old drive may be cumbersome. You would need to image backup the existing SSD to some medium (or other PC across network) and then, after replacing the old SSD with the new one, do an image restore.

Note that it can be problematic going from a SATA3 drive to a M.2 NVMe SSD if the operating system is Windows 7. If the M.2 NVMe drive has a NVMe driver associated with it, you need to install this driver before performing the image backup. Here is a table I created that details the available M.2 NVMe SSDs and their situation with drivers:

Model

Part Number

Size (GB)

Max Read (MB/s)

Max Write (MB/s)

Best Amazon Price

Windows 7 Driver Provided

Notes

Samsung 960 PRO

MZ-V6P512BW

Yes

MZ-V6E1T0BW

Yes

Available 12/31/16 (preorder price)

MZ-V6P2T0BW

Yes

Available 01/07/17 (preorder price)

Samsung 950 PRO

MZ-V5P256BW

Yes

MZ-V5P512BW

Yes

Samsung PM951

MZVLV256HCHP

Yes

MZVLV512HCJH

Yes

Samsung SM951

MZVPV256HDGL

Yes

MZVPV512HDGL

Yes

Toshiba XG3

THNSN5256GPU7

Yes

THNSN5512GPU7

Yes

Toshiba OCZ RD400

RVD400-M2280-256G

Yes

RVD400-M2280-512G

Yes

RVD400-M22280-1TB

Yes

Kingston HyperX Predator

SHPM2280P2/240G

No

SHPM2280P2/480G

No

SHPM2280P2/960G

No

Intel 600p

SSDPEKKW256G7X1

No

SSDPEKKW512G7X1

No

SSDPEKKW010T7X1

No

Intel Pro 6000p

SSDPEKKF256G7X1

No

SSDPEKKF512G7X1

No

SSDPEKKF010T7X1

No

Intel E 6000p

SSDPEKKR256G7XN

???

No

Plextor M8Pe[G]

PX-256M8PeGN

No

PX-256M8PeG

No

With thermal radiator

PX-512M8PeGN

No

PX-512M8PeG

No

With thermal radiator

PX-1TM8PeGN

No

PX-1TM8PeG

No

With thermal radiator

For drives that do not come with drivers, there is an update from Microsoft that back-ports their Windows 10 NVMe driver to Windows 7. See this page for more information: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2990941.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: NUC5iRYH - Compatible SSD and installation (Help!!)
                AugusM

Thanks for your help N. Scott Pearsonand lw1948 .

I don't know exactly which type of SSD I've right now, I guess I've to demount my NUC to check.

I think I'll need some advise to choose a proper SSD once I know which kind of SSD I've currently!

Thanks again for your help.

• 5. Re: NUC5iRYH - Compatible SSD and installation (Help!!)
                  lw1948

1.Sorry, my misinterpretation of AugusM post. The NUC part number in his post is incomplete. I've look into NUC5CPYH. If his NUC is one of NUC5iXRYH product, sure it can use M.2 drive.

2. If the existing drive is M.2 drive, in my opinion, AugustM shall buy new SATA3 2.5" drive and move there all data files and also some games (at least games data bases). Then the old drives can be "cleaned" buy executing Windows 10 reset process: How to Use Refresh and Reset in Windows 8 or 10 to Easily Reinstall Your PC . So, the drive will be "cleaned" and Windows will stay activated.

• 6. Re: NUC5iRYH - Compatible SSD and installation (Help!!)
                    AugusM

lw1948 My bad, I just realized that I forgot a number. I've a NUC5i5RYH... Sorry.

By the way, I've dismounted my NUC and it seems that currently I have an Intel SSD 535 Series (120 GB, M.2 80mm SATA 6Gb/s, 16nm, MLC).

So if I understand correctly N. Scott Pearson's answer, I won't have any issue to replace my current SSD by a Samsung SSD 500 Go 850 Serie EVO M.2 (MZ-N5E500BW) since it's also a M.2 SSD.

• 7. Re: NUC5iRYH - Compatible SSD and installation (Help!!)
                      AugusM

So lw1948 you think that I should get a SATA3 2.5'' drive for example the Samsung 850 EVO Series MZ-75E500 500GB SSD ?

And it seems that this SSD is cheaper I guess I'll go for this one.

I'm just afraid of the maneuver to do to move my files to the new storage since I'm not really a computer genius.

Thanks again for your help!

• 8. Re: NUC5iRYH - Compatible SSD and installation (Help!!)
                        lw1948

1. Your existing SSD is SATA type. If you are happy with your current disk performance, I will stay with this disk. If you stay with your disk, you can avoid the need to Windows reinstallation and reactivation  on anew disk.

2.  To add and initialize an other disk is very simple. You can follow instruction in the following video: How to Initialize and Format a New Hard Drive in Windows 10 - YouTube

3. Once a new drive will be added, initialized and formatted, you can move your data (Documents, Video, Pictures, Music, Downloads, etc...) libraries from drive C: to D:. Follow those instructions: Move your Windows 10 libraries to a separate drive or partition | PCWorld

4. After you have moved your folder to anew location, you shall change your default save location to this new drive: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23790-storage-save-locations-change-windows-10-a.html?filter[1]=File Folder Settings

5. You don't need to buy 500GB SSD which is still quit expensive. You can buy for much less money 1TB SATA III HDD which is much chipper. For example: Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD10JPVX 1TB 5400RPM. It is the right size to match the drive bay on your NUC.

5 Finally I agree with Scott's remarks that NVMe SSD like Samsung 960Pro or Samsung 950Pro will work in M.2 slot and are with better performance. Still there is all system, application and data reinstallation with come with using those products. If you look only to expand your storing capacity and save money, buy new SATA 1TB HDD and move your data folders.

• 9. Re: NUC5iRYH - Compatible SSD and installation (Help!!)
                          AugusM

Thanks for your answer.

I had no idea that we could add a HDD to the NUC and the maneuver to do seems easier. I guess I will get a HDD instead.

But I just wonder if games run well if I install them on the hard drive. Or should I keep online games on the SSD and no online games on the HDD?

• 10. Re: NUC5iRYH - Compatible SSD and installation (Help!!)
                            lw1948

All programs in computer runs while there are loaded to RAM rather then on SSD or HD. So, storing a program on HD instead on SSD shall not hardly affect program run. However, loading time to the RAM from HD will take more time that loading from SSD. Some big program are only partially loaded to RAM, and during program run, an other program part is loaded (paging). The online games are mostly affected by speed on internet connection, size of the RAM memory rather than your storage. More RAM you have, more online program can be buffered in RAM, to be ready for execution.

Any way you have 120GB SSD.  Windows 10, uses some 20GB, Office some 8GB - still there is enough place for your games. You shall maintain your SSD and from time to time "clean" it from unnecessary files. Uninstall some old games.

• 11. Re: NUC5iRYH - Compatible SSD and installation (Help!!)
                              Intel Corporation
                              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello AugusM ,

I would like to thank other users that have provided useful information!

They all are correct, let me just summarize a little what they have said.

-The compatible SSDs with the Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i5RYH can be M.2 and 2.5" Drive
                              -In terms of performance, an M.2 SSD is better than a 2.5 SSD
                              -To transfer data from one drive to the other, you can certainly create a system image and then restore it in the new drive
                              -Reactivation link is really helpful: http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change
                              -I have some of my games in an SSD and some other in an HDD, the difference in performance is not huge, meaning that you'd probably have almost the same performance with either
                              -The recommendation to get an HDD to get more storage (1TB) is really helpful, having the OS in your current m.2 SSD and having an HDD for storage would definitely help (this is the way I have it configured at home, works like a charm)
                              -The option to have the most used games in the SSD is another good way to manage your storage, and keep the casual games in the HDD would be wise

In case you have any additional inquiries, feel free to let us know

Regards,
                              Esteban C

• 12. Re: NUC5iRYH - Compatible SSD and installation (Help!!)
                                AugusM

Thanks Esteban, lw1948and N. Scott Pearson for your help!!

Now I guess that I just have to get my wallet out and buy a Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD10JPVX 1TB 5400RPM, by the way thanks again, adding a HD is so much cheaper than replacing my current SSD.

And as Esteban said, I think I'll just leave the most used games on the SSD and install the casula ones in my futur HDD and also moving my files to the hard drive.

I hope that I won't have any problem to install the HDD and with the maneuver to do...

You guys have been really helpful!! Thanks again!

• 13. Re: NUC5iRYH - Compatible SSD and installation (Help!!)
                                  Intel Corporation
                                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

It is great to  hear our recommendation worked for you, AugusM

I am more than glad to assist you and if there are any additional inquiries in the future, feel free to contact the communities back

Regards,
                                  Esteban C