10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2017 4:00 PM by Intel Corporation

Raid options?

brudertl

Hello,

I have the NUC6i7KYK with a Samsung 950 Pro (M.2) SSD drive.  I just finished installing Windows 10 and all of my software.  Now (of course way late!), I'm thinking about some type of RAID1 (mirrored) setup for the M.2 drive.  I ran my last setup with mirrored SATA drives and liked the security against a drive failure.  This new single SSD drive setup worries me a bit.

If I added a second drive, is it possible to setup a RAID volume without having to re-install/backup/restore what I already have?  Something from the BIOS level possibly?

If not, what other good options do I have?

//Brew

• 1. Re: Raid options?
          N.Scott.Pearson

No, sorry, you will lose the contents of the drives while building the RAID array. You can try to do a Backup/Restore or clone-type operation to move your existing install over to the array. I would suggest that you install the RST drivers package before doing so.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: Raid options?
            brudertl

Meaning turn on the RAID controller in the bios... then install the RST drivers, image the existing system, create a recovery drive, then install the second M.2... Create the RAID volume, Boot from the recovery USB and do a restore?  Am I missing any key steps?

//Brew

• 3. Re: Raid options?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to  for the comments posted previously.

To :

In regard to your inquiry, yes, you can always add a new a second drive, but there are different scenarios.

If the SATA mode on the BIOS currently is AHCI, then to create the RAID you need to change the SATA mode to RAID and then re-install windows from scratch and in this case you will lose the information unless you back it up first.

And if that is the case please follow all the steps on this link:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000021493.html

But, if the SATA mode on the BIOS is already set up to RAID, then you can follow the steps on that same link but until step 5, then install RST and follow the steps from this next link from page 30 onwards and the information you already have should not be lost:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf
              If you have any further questions or if you need further information about this matter, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 4. Re: Raid options?
                brudertl

I'm just a tad confused.  I'll want to first create an Image of my existing installation in order to eventually restore it.  My current SATA mode is AHCI,  So should I install the RST drivers now, then update BIOS... then back back into Windows and create the image to an external drive?

• 5. Re: Raid options?
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Let's be clear: Once you switch the mode from AHCI to RAID, you will no longer be able to boot from your existing system image. No matter what, you are going to have to reinstall Windows if you want to use RAID.

The process is as follows:

1. Backup all user files to secondary storage.
                  2. Power off and install second NVMe drive.
                  3. Power on and use F2 to enter BIOS Setup. Set mode to RAID and enable PCIe Storage Remapping for both drives.
                  4. Exit Visual BIOS saving the configuration.
                  5. Use F2 to again enter BIOS Setup. Navigate to RAID configuration scene and create RAID array.
                  6. Exit Visual BIOS saving the configuration.
                  7. Boot from Windows Install media.
                  8. Load RST drivers.
                  9. Install Windows onto RAID array.

This is all documented here: (RAID Setup Procedure for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK ).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 6. Re: Raid options?
                    Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to  for the information posted above.

To :

I just wanted to confirm the previous information as correct.

So, before trying anything first back up all the important information you have, because as it was mentioned Windows needs to be re-install from scratch, since it was installed under AHCI, if you change that to RAID the NUC will not boot into Windows. After that then you can create the image.

If you have more questions, or if you need further assistance please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 7. Re: Raid options?
                      brudertl

Got it!  Thanks for all the help.

• 8. Re: Raid options?
                        brudertl

Thinking a bit more about this thread....  Will a RAID1 setup increase PERFORMANCE of the M.2 setup in anyway?    Or, is a better use of the $$ to setup a RAID0 volume then data backups to say an externally attached USB drive?

I typically use this machine for editing images in Adobe Lightroom... plus some light MS Office, Youtube'ing, and web surfing activities.  My camera raw images are roughly 28Meg and Lightroom is a bit heavy on disk IO/memory/CPU.  I'll often import 200-500 images for processing and conversion to JPG so I'm trying to optimize that process.

As a side note... once my raw files are processed to JPG's, I move them to a NAS so the Pro 950 drive is kept "clean".

//Brew

• 9. Re: Raid options?
                          Intel Corporation

Hello :

In regard to your inquiry, when it comes to performance the RAID 0 is the one that is recommended, since the information gets split between the 2 hard drives and that is the reason why the performance is better, but if one of the hard drives gets defective all the information will be lost.

Additionally the RAID 1 is commonly used by users that prefer to have redundancy, meaning that since the same information is located on both hard drives,  if one of them gets defective, you can always rebuild the RAID 1 from the hard drive that is still working fine, that way you will not lost the information from it.

Any further questions or if you need more information, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 10. Re: Raid options?
                            Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if the information provided before was useful for you and you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto