Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

intel 7265 bluetooth mouse causes wifi to slow down occasionally.

BZahn
Beginner

If I connect a bluetooth 4.0 (microsoft 3600 mobile) mouse the wifi connection occasionally becomes very slow.

Pinging the router leads to large reponse times around or greater than 1000 ms which is usually < 5 ms for some seconds..

Even timeouts occur and the wifi connections may stall for a short time.

After some seconds problem seems to dissapear and it looks ok until next time.

But it is annoying.

Of course this all doesn't happen if the mouse isn't connected.

It is already known that bluetooth and wifi share the same band (2,4 ghz).

But a little mouse can't really cause wifi connection to have timeouts with the router.

I already updated to the newest drivers (wifi 19.20.3.4 and bluetooth 19.11.1639.649).

It seems, that it is getting better with later drivers, but problem still exists, although not as often.

Do I need the extra bluetooth driver for the 7265 adapter?

Any idea how to fix this with a specific driver setting?

2, 4 ghz band is a must.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello 7265_399,

We understand you're having some WiFi/Bluetooth interference issues that you would like to minimize while sticking to the 2.4GHz band.

There are a couple of settings as well as other recomendations that we can make in order to minimize your problems. We can definitely all agree that a little mouse should not be causing so many problems.

The reason why you need separate drivers for wireless and bluetooth* is because even though these too things are coming out of the same adapter, they are separate modules. One works through PCIe*, and the other through the USB controller. Keep in mind that the drivers provided by us are generic versions, which do not take into account modifications made to your wireless adapter by your computer manufacturer. We always recommend using the drivers your OEM provides first, and then ours as an alternative only.

In order to better assist you, we would like to have some more information. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility. This software will scan you computer and generate a report. Please do this while connected to your wireless network, so this information is included in the report. Once you reply, you will be able to attach this file using the "advanced editor" option at the top right of the reply box.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BZahn
Beginner

I attached the file generated by the utility.

I upgraded all drivers because of the problem.

i forgot to mention, that other devices in the network do not have such problems, also with a bluetooth mouse attached.

Bluetooth and wifi work Ok for most of the time, but suddenly, may be after some minutes, if I click for example on a link in a web browser the wifi connection is slowed down and also receiving timeouts (this can be observed for example if ping is running in the background in a command line shell), web page loads very slow or doesn't even load. This does never happen if a bluetooth mouse is not attached.

Therefore I'm sure, using bluetooth and wifi together is causing the problem.

0 Kudos
BZahn
Beginner

Additional Information:

The wlanreport (netsh wlan show wlanreport) of windows 10 show entries like

"Wireless security stopped"

"Wireless security started"

"Wireless security succeeded"

event ids 11004, 11010, 11005

Everytime this occurs, the wlan connection stalls. Unknown whether this is the reason or just an effect.

This happens only with bluetooth mouse connected.

very bad.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello 7265_399,

It seems that while you are using the latest wireless drivers, your Bluetooth® drivers may be slightly outdated. The Bluetooth® module on your wireless adapter requires a separate driver, and you're currently using the inbox driver provided with the operating system.

Please install this driver and let us know if there is an improvement:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26419 Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® Software for Windows® 10.

Additionally, you may enable the "Bluetooth(R) AMP" option in the settings for your wireless adapter. (Device Manager > Network Adapters > Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 > Advanced). While not directly related to your issue, this may help.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BZahn
Beginner

i think, according to device manager I had already installed the newest bluetooth driver. But i reinstalled it to be sure.

Device manager shows the new version as before.

No change.

I attach a screenshot with ping response times (ping to the router). First half is with bluetooth mouse connected. higher bar means slower response.

second half is without bluetooth mouse, wih a wired mouse. Similar web traffic.

I tested different bluetooth mouse models.

0 Kudos
BZahn
Beginner

Bluetooth(R) AMP enable

seems to be a good improvement.

At least on the first sight.

After testing some minutes, I can say I have much less timeouts and ping response times seem to be improved.

Therefore I mark you answer and thank you for your support.

I wonder what's the default setting.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello 7265_399,

We're glad the issue has improved, or possibly been resolved.

However, there is one thing that is still bothering me. In the SSU Report you provided us, the Bluetooth® module is displayed as "Bluetooth Device", when it should be something along the lines of "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 Bluetooth(R) 4.0...." or "Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) 4.0 Adapter". I understand that you've tried to update this via the Device Manager, but that will only update to the latest driver available via Windows* Update.

If you're willing to troubleshoot further, I can recommend for you to uninstall the current Bluetooth® driver (Device Manager > Bluetooth > Bluetooth Device > right click > Uninstall > "Delete the driver software for this device"), and try the latest driver provided by your computer manufacturer.

- https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6737?b=1 Aspire E5-575G Downloads > Driver > Bluetooth® Driver (version: 18.1.1546.2762, vendor: Intel®).

After this, when you view the driver properties for your Bluetooth® module, the "Driver Provider" should read Intel® or Acer*, not Microsoft*.

Note: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BZahn
Beginner

I know how to install device drivers and I surely installed the right one's. What's listed in the system scan is not that, what I see in device manager, I think these are default bluetooth featuers, part of a standard windows installation and equipped with microsoft drivers. But surely the responsible (intel) bluetooth adapter has the correct driver version.

I did some further tests and I'm currently satisfied with the solution. I was able to reproduce the issue easily with streaming some content, clicking on some web links and monitoring ping response times.

The problems seems to be gone.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

7265_399,

We're glad to hear that your issue has been resolved. If the issue returns, just let us know and we'll be more than happy to continue providing assistance.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BZahn
Beginner

As written above, I enabled Bluetooth AMP option.

Result is, that it works much better than before.

but there is still one connection problem, therefore I reset the answer.

The wlan connection still drops for some seconds on unpredictable time.

Generating a windows wlan report (netsh wlan show wlanreport) shows the following entries (sometimes multiple times in a short period, sometimes not for hours).

"Wireless security stopped"

"Wireless security started"

"Wireless security succeeded"

event ids 11004, 11010, 11005

Everytime wlan stalls, such events are written to the report

It is unknown to me whether this a reason for connection problem or just an effect.

Without any noticeable reason, the wireless security is stopped? I have other notebooks with other wlan adapter, and they have neither such entries in the log (apart from system start) nor connection drops.

It happens much less than before with enabling Bluetooth AMP.

But it really shouldn't happen at all.

Therefore I would like to know, how this can be fixed?

Screenshot of the wlan report (in german), event ids as mentioned above.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello 7265_399,

At this point, what we can recomend will be to perform a clean installation of both your wireless and the Bluetooth* drivers.

1. Download the latest version drivers (your choice: OEM specific, or Intel® generic):

- Acer* Aspire* E5-575G Downloads:

- http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Wireless%20LAN/Wireless%20LAN_Intel_18.40.0.9_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=636102205493436857&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20E5-575G&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6 Wireless LAN Driver version 18.40.0.9.

- http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Bluetooth/Bluetooth_Intel_18.1.1546.2762_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=635979447208909946&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20E5-575G&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6 Bluetooth® Driver version 18.1.1546.2762.

- Intel® Generic Downloads:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26465 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers.

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26419 Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® Software

2. Uninstall the Intel® Proset from Programs and Features, and remove the drivers from Device Manager. Do this for both your Wireless adapter, and the Bluetooth® module.

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005587.html Uninstall Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software.

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005756.html Uninstalling an Intel® WiFi Adapter Driver.

3. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually "C:\". Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

4. Reboot your computer.

5. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005600.html Install the latest Wireless and http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000006742.html Bluetooth® drivers. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation make sure to customize the installation and select all available features.

6. In the adapter's Device Manager properties make sure Bluetooth AMP is enabled, and Roaming Aggressiveness (Roaming Dynamik) has been set at the lowest setting possible. You may refer to your previous settings in the SSU report you provided, as all other options had been properly set before.

Note: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

If this does not help you may need to contact your http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html computer manufacturers support. They will be your primary support resource due to the customizations applied to your adapter when it was integrated by them into your system. However, if they're not of much assistance you may also http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html contact Intel® Support.

Please let us know if this makes any improvement, or if it resolves the issue.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BZahn
Beginner

no improvement.

Apart from that, that's no serious solution. I can not reinstall the driver 100 times only for the little hope that it fixes itself randomly.

I've at least re-occurring log entries and there must be a reason for it.

Bluetooth is the reason for unstable connection, that's the thing I can say for sure.

Bluetooth device is not guilty, because I tested multiple devices which work flawlessly together with other wifi capable notebooks.

Manufacturer of the notebook can not help, they have no detail knowledge about the wlan adapter.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello 7265_399,

We understand your frustration. There's marked difference from updating a driver to performing a clean installation. The idea behind our suggestion was to remove any corruptions or misplaced settings. Specially considering that the driver version and provider shown on the last SSU report you posted show that your Bluetooth* device is using the Microsoft* inbox, in place of the Intel® drivers. This can severely affect the functionality of your Bluetooth* module, possibly causing it to be more disruptive than it should be.

Ignoring the driver, we can make the following suggestions:

- In both the adapter and Bluetooth* module's properties, under the "Power Management" tab, toggle the option to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

- Under the "Advanced" tab for your wireless adapter, go to the "Ad-hoc Channel 802.11 b/g" option and choose a different channel, such as 1, 6, or 11.

- Still under the Advanced tab, you may want to lower the "Roaming Aggressiveness" setting. It's possible that the interference could be causing your adapter to try and roam, only to return to the original AP.

- In the Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings (for your current plan) > Change Advanced Power Settings > Wireless Adapter Settings > Power Saving Mode: Set both to "Maximum Performance".

Please let us know if these suggestions help.

Regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BZahn
Beginner

I will make some last tests and write the result in some days.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

7265_399,

Great. We look forward to finding out your results.

Regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BZahn
Beginner

My result is, that I gave up

2,4 ghz wlan connection together with bluetooth will never be really stable with this adapter.

There must be a bug in the driver or in the chip design.

Since 2,4 ghz is the older technology I assume it's not the focus of the developers.

since I want to use wireless mouse without a dongle, I upgraded the router and switched to 5 ghz. This looks good.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

7265_399,

The 2.4 GHz band is generally a crowded one. The use of frequency hop and updated Bluetooth* technologies have come quite a long ways in diminishing interference. But there are other factors such in the overall system design that cannot be controlled.

I was hopping we could have resolved this issue without forcing you over to 5.2GHz band, which I'm aware was not your top choice. In spite of that, we hope that this band's faster data rates and fewer disconnects will result in a more enjoyable experience for you.

Please let us know if any further assistance is needed.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos