1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 29, 2016 10:26 AM by Intel Corporation

Installing 16.04 LTS on Intel NUC6i7KYK fails: mmc0 unknown controller version (3)

datasmart

I try to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on my NUC6i7KYK, but can't get it to work. This is what I have tried:

• Created a bootable USB-sticj in various ways (UNetbootin, using dd, formatted it as FAT32 and copied files from image, etc). Configured it for UEFI booting as well as for Legacy booting
      • In all cases, when I switch on the NUC, I see the well-known menu:
        • Try Ubuntu without installing
        • Install Ubuntu
        • OEM install
        • Check disc for defects

So it looks like the USB stick is detected and read.

• When I select the options for Try Ubuntu or Install Ubuntu, I get the message:

mmc0: unknown controller version (3). You may experience problems.

The latter is certainly true, because nothing happens after this: the screen turns black and stays that way.

To exclude hardware failures, I installed Windows 10 without any problem. The mmc0 device (i.e. the SD card reader) is working properly here.

Anybody having a clue?

• 1. Re: Installing 16.04 LTS on Intel NUC6i7KYK fails: mmc0 unknown controller version (3)
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

In regard to your inquiry I just wanted to let you know that Intel does not test and validate Intel® NUC on Linux, all the tests were done using Windows, however we know that a lot of NUC owners are using it successfully on many different Linux distros, and as you mentioned the fact that the NUC works fine with Windows it means that the hardware is working fine and this problem is directly related to Ubuntu,

Based on that the best thing to do at this point will to access your Linux distro's website and forums for further peer assistance with this issue at:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

Let me apologize for any inconvenience, but to get the most accurate Ubunto support please use those forums, in there you should fins a work a around or different suggestions in order to install Ubunto.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto