5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2017 10:48 AM by Intel Corporation

Feature Request: UHS-II / UHS-2 SD Card Reader

OEFVet

Intel's decision to run the SD reader over PCI is great; but the lack of UHS-II support defeats the purpose. Could you please add UHS-II support to future NUCs.

• 1. Re: Feature Request: UHS-II / UHS-2 SD Card Reader
          NucNucMoose

Realtek refuses to update their portfolio with current tech, so you won't get it unless Intel switches to another partner for the NUC line or Realtek comes up with a new chipset, both of which are unlikely. Through Altera and it's partner network, Intel has access to UHS-2 card readers and other advanced tech, but they have chosen not to use it.

• 2. Re: Feature Request: UHS-II / UHS-2 SD Card Reader
            OEFVet

Realtek responds to their customers' demands; if Intel does not see users looking for UHS-2 support they will not demand it.

I usually see discussions like this for OLD technology, {e.g. TOSLINK, circa 1998, only recently removed from Intel NUC 7th gen....but VGA and SATA are back?? many mysteries here}.

Everyone is going crazy over 4k, Intel is embraces it making 4k is the primary marketing point of Kabylake. The sole purpose of UHS-2 is shooting 4k video; but 7th gen NUCs park the SD over PCI and still cannot support UHS2?

We are going to occupy a PCI lane with a UHS1 card reader which provides an impressive 60-70MB/s… while a few pennies more on the BOM can give 280-300MB/s?

• 3. Re: Feature Request: UHS-II / UHS-2 SD Card Reader
              NucNucMoose

Most 4K video capture devices are smart phones and action cameras, which are all using UHS-I and the 7th-gen NUC only takes microSD, which is used by those devices, so UHS-2 is really of no use on the 7th-gen NUCs, since nobody really uses it that market segment. Even the latest phones don't use UHS-2. The only devices that do take advantage of UHS-2 cards for recording video or shooting burst/high-res photos are a handful of cameras, all using full-sized SDXC cards, so far as I know. If you really need UHS-2 for transferring files, just go get a USB 3.0 card reader from Sandisk, Lexar, Kingston, or someone else that offers UHS-2 in the specs. The USB 3.0 ports on the 7th-gen NUCs should give a decent transfer rate, so long as you aren't running any other data transfers or storage devices off the USB ports and have maxed out the RAM on your build.

• 4. Re: Feature Request: UHS-II / UHS-2 SD Card Reader
                OEFVet

Well, I use UHS-2 on 2 devices.

It is a simple feature request; not looking for a debate.

• 5. Re: Feature Request: UHS-II / UHS-2 SD Card Reader
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello OEFVet,

Thank you for your input.

I will send your feedback to the proper department. 

Regards,

Amy.