3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2016 2:09 PM by emont@

Intel NUC5i7RYH WiFi performance due to Bluetooth

emont

Hello I just want to share my experience with this curious issue on Intel NUC5i7RYH.

Running Ubunutu 16.04 with TPLINK AP getting the 2.4Ghz signal of WIFI access, after some troubleshooting on why the ICMP time response to AP is above 2 secs and having bad performance of navigation, I turned off my embedded bluetooth in the NUC (the way I was listening my audios) and the issue was fixed completely.

Based on that we noticed NUC systems always will have two challenges that impacts negatively in 2.4Ghz WiFi connection: Bluetooth and USB3.0 ports also, NUC is a good system but having those two components inside the same WiFi antennas, you potentially will be affected in WiFi performance. Some threads refers to WiFi performance  so it probably is the first stage to resolve it.

Hope it helps to the community of NUC,

Edgar M.

• 1. Re: Intel NUC5i7RYH WiFi performance due to Bluetooth
          N.Scott.Pearson

It's a known fact that Bluetooth shares the same 2.4GHz bandwidth that is used by legacy WiFi. It is also a known fact that USB 3.0 also operates in the 2.4GHz frequency range and, if cables are not properly shielded, will interfere with both legacy WiFi and Bluetooth communication. Further, there are many wireless devices - phones, intercoms, mice, keyboards, etc. - that also share the same bandwidth.

So, knowing all this, why do people continue to use legacy WIFi? Dual-band support - and the (very wide) 5.0GHz band - is the place to be and most routers have support for it using Wireless-N or (better) Wireless-AC communication. This will leave the 2.4GHz band for the lower-bandwidth devices (Bluetooth, etc.) to fight over.

...S

• 2. Re: Intel NUC5i7RYH WiFi performance due to Bluetooth
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you for taking the time and share this information to all the Intel® NUC community.

Allan.

• 3. Re: Intel NUC5i7RYH WiFi performance due to Bluetooth
              emont@

You´re right, the keypoint is the shield of those transmitters, some laptops works well having both circuits running inside the equipment perfectly isolated nevertheless NUC NUC5i7RYH has both elements so close, in my case 50dBm of WiFi reception from the AP to NUC is not enough to avoid the noise coming from the Bluetooth next to the WiFi receiver into the box.