11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2017 12:35 PM by squigglez

Unable to update Joule firmware for Windows 10

markssn

I've tried to update the Joule firmware, several times, but I get the following error.

C:\Joule_BIOS_2016-11-15-161-Public\DNX>Flash.bat Joule_C0-X64-Release-161-Public_DNX.bin

===============================================================================

Intel(R) Joule Flash.bat version #1.1.6

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Provisioning the eMMC...

- WARNING: Provisioning failed!

Probably already provisioned.

- Checking for RPMB...

- Downloading the BIOS...

ERROR: Downloading failed!

Review C:\Joule_BIOS_2016-11-15-161-Public\DNX\\Flash.log for information.

===============================================================================

The log file contains an error code 0x30003, but I can't find any information on this issue.

Furthermore, Intel's website indicates that when the Joule is booted while the DNX Boot button is pressed, the host system should see a device named 'Intel Dnx Device'.  My device always shows up a COM port (and FTDI device).

(Added, for reference: IoT - Flashing the BIOS | Intel® Software  )

Any assistance would be appreciated.

- M

• 1. Re: Unable to update Joule firmware for Windows 10
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Mark,

Thank for reaching out and for your interest in the Intel Joule Platform.
          First I would to like to confirm if you’re working on a Windows 10 system (host) or if you’re trying to upload Windows 10 IoT Core on your Joule. I’m bit confused by the title, so I just want to clear things up.
          Also, I would like to know the exact steps you’re following, that way we might be able to help you.

Regards,
          -Pablo

• 2. Re: Unable to update Joule firmware for Windows 10
            markssn

Pablo,

Yes, I have a Windows 10 host computer.

I am using Windows 10 IoT Core (10.0.14986.1000) in the Joule, and it boots fine from an 8GB bootable USB stick.

Regarding the steps, I followed the instructions in your web page (IoT - Flashing the BIOS | Intel® Software  ) precisely, several times.  Step #5 is where things don't work as described on the web page, and step #9 fails, with out any useful information.  (BTW, the screen capture in step #9 is NOT up-to-date, and the text in your web page says 'You should see output similar to the following when the script has finished flashing the BIOS:'.  The term 'output similar' (?) is a bit disconcerting.  Shouldn't one see precisely the same output from the software tool, given a new-out-of-box device?

I would rather boot Windows IoT Core from the SD Card, instead of the eMMC or the USB, and I've tried this too, but the system reports INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE error at startup when using an SD card.  So, for now, I'm just booting from a USB3 memory stick.  (The SD Card I tried is a Class 10 device.)

I have several models of various IoT computers; RP3, Minnow Turbot, and Joule.  No problem in updating the Minnow Turbot firmware (to version 0.92), but using a different process.

I would be willing to try a few things, if you can offer some assistance.

In other words, if there isn't a quick and easy workaround for this issue, I am ok if we just drop this.

I'm not feeling very comfortable with the Joule.  I may just shelve it and resume working with the Minnow Turbot.

- Mark

• 3. Re: Unable to update Joule firmware for Windows 10
              Intel Corporation

Hi Mark,

It seems your hardware and software meets the requirements to run the process without issues. Is strange that you’re encountering that issue. You mention that the problem begins in step 5, I guess this means that you don’t get to see any DNX entry, right? I have a Windows 10 computer, so I will try to follow the process myself and will let you know my results.

Regards,
              -Pablo

• 4. Re: Unable to update Joule firmware for Windows 10
                b-man

I've found that step 4 for flashing the BIOS was a bit ambiguously worded. Despite what that step describes, I've found that you will need to hold down the DNX Boot button, connect the Joule to your computer via it's USB type-C cable, and while continuing to hold down the DNX Boot button, plug in the power barrel connector in that order. Not the other way around as step 4 appears to describe.

I'll also add that I too have had problems using the external uSD as a boot device. I made a question about it earlier which was implicitly answered via a suggestion that it may have been a problem related to Linux. I've done some more in-depth investigations into this problem myself but I have yet to find a way to resolve this problem. One observation that I did make however was that the eMMC was defined in the Joule's ACPI tables, while the external SD card wasn't.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Unable to update Joule firmware for Windows 10
                  Intel Corporation

Hi guys,

b-man, thank you very much for your contribution. Regarding your other question, do you have any other thread opened at this moment for that issue? Where did you post your original question?
                  Mark, could you please try what b-man just suggested? I would like to know your results once you proceed with that.

Regards,
                  -Pablo

• 6. Re: Unable to update Joule firmware for Windows 10
                    b-man

Hello Pablo,

The original thread can be found here. I'd like to also add an update that I had just updated the BIOS to the latest release (2016-11-15-161)

and that the ACPI path for the uSD now exists (\_SB_.PCI0.SDC_) however the problem still continues. I've also updated the Linux kernel in the Ubuntu installation

running on my Joule to 4.9 after seeing this bug fix for the sdhci-pci driver, but the external uSD still fails to fully enumerate.

• 7. Re: Unable to update Joule firmware for Windows 10
                      Intel Corporation

Hi b-man,

Could you please post your reply in that other thread? This will re-open the case, and I think it’s a good idea to keep the thread for that issue open, at least while it’s not completely resolved. 

Regards,
                      -Pablo

• 8. Re: Unable to update Joule firmware for Windows 10
                        markssn

Immediately after I plug in the USB cable, that is connected to my computer, while holding the 'boot' button down, BUT without any power provided, my computer finds a USB Serial Port on COM3 - I guess the USB is self-powered.

There is no DNX device listed in the Device Manager, ever.  I've included two screen shots of my Device Manager.

---

This first screen capture, below, was taken before I connected the Joule to my computer.

This second screen capture, below, was taken after I connected the Joule to my computer, via USB.

I have not applied power, yet.

Still holding the 'boot' button.

Joule green 'Power' indicator is not lit.

After I applied power to the Joule, the green Power led turns on.

I release the 'boot' button.

There is no change in my Device Manager.  USB Serial Port (COM3) remains, and there is no DNX device.

• 9. Re: Unable to update Joule firmware for Windows 10
                          markssn

Pablo,

It seems I have a more serious problem, right now.  A show stopper for the Joule.

For the last few days (yes, I am working thru the holidays) I resumed working on an Intel Minnow Turbot.  No issues.

Last night, I powered up the Joule.  It received a Windows Update, that took four hour to complete!  This morning, the Joule does not boot at all.  This is what I am seeing:  (BTW, I am NOT holding the 'boot' button in this case)

1.  Apply power, power indicator is solid on.

2.  Green LED1 turns on.

3.  Aout 1 second later, the blue indicator on the Joule flashes for about 1/4 of second.

4.  About about 5 seconds later, LED1 turns off.

5.  About 1/4 second later, LED1 and LED3 flash on for about 1/4 second, then turn off.

6.  About 1 second later, the steps 2 thru 6 are repeat, continously.

The Joule is not booting at all right now.

If I had to guess, I'd say the BIOS settings are scrambled.

• 10. Re: Unable to update Joule firmware for Windows 10
                            markssn

All is well, now.

I was able to obtain another Joule device, and it worked perfectly, as the instructions specify.  Firmware is upgraded.

So, I then used the same USB-C cable on my original Joule, and it worked perfectly too.

The cable I was using is bad.

Once I updated the firmware, the BIOS settings restored to defaults, and I was able to boot the device into Windows 10, using the USB drive.

This issue can be closed.

• 11. Re: Unable to update Joule firmware for Windows 10
                              squigglez

I wanted to confirm that I had the same problem too. Spent a bunch of time opening up my network that didn't fix anything. Swapped the order of plugging in the usb-c cable and power barrel plug, it flashed the joule successfully. Didn't have to get a new usb-c cable like the OP did.