Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

What motherboards support the new GPU's that come on the Core i3/i5 processors?

idata
Employee

Specifically, would the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 Motherboard support it. It has no integrated graphics of its own.

Also, how does these GPU's compare to older dedicated graphics cards like the Nvidia Geforce 8/9 series in real world performance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Specifically, would the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 Motherboard support it. It has no integrated graphics of its own.

Sure the GA-P55A-UD3 supports it but the way I see it is the i5 750 costs about the same as the lowest integrated graphics i5 the i5 650 and for that you get two cores and less cache why not just just get the i5 750 with four cores and more cache? Its not like you can use the integrated graphics on the i5 650 on a P55 board anyway.

Also, how does these GPU's compare to older dedicated graphics cards like the Nvidia Geforce 8/9 series in real world performance.

It not for gaming if thats what you mean it will run like 8400 GS if that and if the game runs on it...its integrated dedicated graphics cards are big supported for games for a reason.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Sure the GA-P55A-UD3 supports it but the way I see it is the i5 750 costs about the same as the lowest integrated graphics i5 the i5 650 and for that you get two cores and less cache why not just just get the i5 750 with four cores and more cache? Its not like you can use the integrated graphics on the i5 650 on a P55 board anyway.

It not for gaming if thats what you mean it will run like 8400 GS if that and if the game runs on it...its integrated dedicated graphics cards are big supported for games for a reason.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Beware. I have just installed an i3 530 and the onboard graphics do not work. I can run windows and everything but once you play video it is choppy and unusable and even freezes sometimes. It is likely a driver issue... see this forum post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1235801 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1235801

Long story short: You will probably need a graphics card.

idata
Employee

You need a chipset that runs on Q55, Q57, H55, or H57 chipset in order to take advantage of the GPU used on the dual core Core i3, Core i5 processors.

Because the motherboard: GA-P55A-UD3 is using P55 chipset, you won't be able to use the graphics integrated with the new CPUs.

0 Kudos