1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2017 4:30 AM by wibblenut

NUC6i7KYK shuts down sporadically

lonzo54

Intel BOXNUC6i7KYK1  with Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 SODIMM

Everything installed and worked fine…but after about 5 minutes, the NUC6i7KYK turns off then re-starts.  After it turns back on by itself, it asks to edit the BIOS.  Answering NO, the system re-boots and is stable with no issues.

Same result with Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 SODIMM, part #CT2K16G4SFD8213, DDR4 PC4-17000 • CL=15 • Dual Ranked • x8 based • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR4-2133 • 1.2V • 2048Meg x 64

Same thing happens with DDR4-2133 memory, which is completely compliant with the NUC6i7KYK memory specification.  The NUC6i7KYK shuts down after the first 5 minutes then restarts.

Please advise on how to get the Intel NUC6i7KYK to operate without the very annoying automatic restarts!

Thank you very much!

Message was edited by: lonzo54

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK shuts down sporadically
          N.Scott.Pearson

Let me guess: Samsung M.2 NVMe SSD?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK shuts down sporadically
            OEFVet

Skull Canyon owner has problems with Samsung M.2 Drives....

Intel: "Let Me Guess Samsung M.2?"
            Samsung: "Let me guess; are the drives in a Skull Canyon?"

I threw those Samsung M.2 950 Pros {which Intel claims defective} into an Asrock Extreme 7 without any issues.

Is there something different about the voltage requirements of the Samsung m.2? Is there something wrong with the Skull Canyon's m.2 slots? What is so bad about the Samsung M.2 drives?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK shuts down sporadically
              N.Scott.Pearson

Let's be clear: I am not Intel (well, not any more; I retired two years ago). My comments and observations are all anecdotal. I have no knowledge of any specific issues existing in the KY NUC's design or implementation.

OK, that said, I do have my suspicions. These are based upon the plethora of reports provided by people here in the forum. The symptoms point to a spontaneous hardware-level reset occurring. Based upon my 35+ years of experience (21 in Intel's Desktop Boards and (later) NUC and Compute Stick development group), there are a number of possibilities that come to mind:

1. An issue with memory.

2. An issue in a driver (graphics?).

3. An issue with the M.2 SSD.

Of these three, the last seems most likely. This I base upon the observation that the folks having the issue all report using the same Samsung NVMe drives. If anyone has seen the issue without having a Samsung NVME drive being involved, please let us know. If anyone has fixed the problem by replacing the Samsung drive with one from another vendor, that is good input too.

...S

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK shuts down sporadically
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello all,

lonzo54, could you please provided your SSD model?

Regards,

Amy.

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK shuts down sporadically
                  lonzo54

Amy,

The SSD is a Samsung V-Nand SSD 950 Pro M.2 NVM Express Model: MZ-VKV512, Model Code: MZ-V5P512BW.

Thank you,

Lonnie

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK shuts down sporadically
                    lonzo54

N.Scott,

I've purchased a new Toshiba OCZ RD400 M.2 2280 form factor, NVMe 1.1b, PCI Express Gen 3.0 x.4, compatible with PCIe Gen 2.0,  512GB SSD.  Have yet to try it out in place of the SAMSUNG V-NAND SSD 950 Pro M.2 NVM Express SSD...but will do that today & see what happens!

Thanks again for your insights!

Lonnie

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK shuts down sporadically
                      Intel Corporation
                      This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

lonzo54, thank you for that information.

Please keep me posted, I am interested in your results with the OCZ RD400.

Regards,

Amy.

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK shuts down sporadically
                        N.Scott.Pearson

Yea, let us know. My RD400 is working like a champ, reporting excellent performance numbers and I have never seen any of the spontaneous reset issues being reported...

...S

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KYK shuts down sporadically
                          lonzo54

N. Scott and Amy,

Toshiba OCZ RD400 M.2 SSD installed and loaded with Windows 10 system image backed up from the Samsung V-Nand SSD 950 Pro M.2 SSD.

SAME automatic shutdown happens with the Toshiba SSD !!! The Samsung is not installed, only the Toshiba SSD.  

I've already switched out the memory.  Did not help.  Now, I've switched out the SSD.  Did not fix it.  Looks to me like a faulty NUC6i7KYK.

Please advise.

THANKS for your assistance!!!

Lonnie

• 10. Re: NUC6i7KYK shuts down sporadically
                            lonzo54

Amy,

Toshiba OCZ RD400 M.2 SSD installed and loaded with Windows 10 system image backed up from the Samsung V-Nand SSD 950 Pro M.2 SSD.

SAME automatic shutdown happens with the Toshiba SSD !!! The Samsung is not installed, only the Toshiba SSD. 

I've already switched out the memory.  Did not help.  Now, I've switched out the SSD.  Did not fix it.  Looks to me like a faulty NUC6i7KYK.

Please advise.

THANKS for your assistance!!!

Lonnie

• 11. Re: NUC6i7KYK shuts down sporadically
                              N.Scott.Pearson

Hhmmm, two questions...

1. What kind of memory are you using?

2. When you say "automatic shutdown", what exactly do you mean? Is it a spontaneous reset? Is it something orderly? Describe it in detail.

...S

• 12. Re: NUC6i7KYK shuts down sporadically
                                lonzo54

N. Scott,

1. Memory: Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 SODIMM, part #CT2K16G4SFD8213, DDR4 PC4-17000 • CL=15 • Dual Ranked • x8 based • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR4-2133 • 1.2V • 2048Meg x 64 which is completely compliant with the NUC6i7KYK memory specification.  The NUC6i7KYK shuts down after the first 5 minutes then restarts.

Same result with Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 SODIMM

2. NUC6i7KYK shuts down unannounced about 5 minutes after startup, then restarts but never gets past POST, providing the following message:

BIOS has detected uncessful POST attempt(s).  Possible causes include recent changes to BIOS Performance Options or recent hardware change.  Press 'Y' to enter Setup or 'N' to cancel and attempt to boot with previous settings.

I press N, POST executes successfully, Windows 10 boots with no issues and the entire setup is stable from then on.  After a normal shutdown, the process repeats, with an unannounced shutdown after about 5 minutes of up time.   NOT cool.

I've swapped out the memory and now the SSD.  Same behavior.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Thanks,

Lonnie

• 13. Re: NUC6i7KYK shuts down sporadically
                                  N.Scott.Pearson

Again, I ask: what do you mean by 'shuts down unannounced'? Is this a reset (instantly see screen blank and then BIOS splash screen) or do you see things happening in Windows scenes (other than that for an announced shutdown)? It sounds like the former -- and worse, it sounds like an issue occurred with involving memory (memory issues are leading (close to exclusive) cause of unsuccessful POST attempts).

As I have detailed before, noise on the memory buses is the leading cause of failures. This noise is a combination of the contributions of all of the components involved - the processor's memory controllers, the motherboard's bus components (termination resistors, etc.), the DIMM components and the actual RAM ICs - as well as any interference being picked up from other components around the buses. Determining which is a tedious process, some of it component swapping and some of it EE-level debug (with O-Scopes, etc.).

Ok, all of that said, there is still one other possible cause. A bug in a device driver could also explain this. I have seen issues like this previously, we had a Desktop Board that was seeing resets like this - with a blast of garbled noise just prior to the reset - and this turned out to be a bug in the driver for a Audio IC. In this case, however, I would be more inclined to be looking at Graphics driver first, but you never know. Please describe exactly what you have connected to the NUC (what monitor type(s) and method(s) of connection) and what versions of the drivers you have installed.

I will be honest, I am unsure what to suggest that you do next. I am inclined to say contact Intel Customer Support and talk about getting a replacement NUC to try out...

...S

• 14. Re: NUC6i7KYK shuts down sporadically
                                    N.Scott.Pearson

Having just re-read your responses, another thought comes to mind...

When you have a unsuccessful POST attempt and you say N and allow POST (and boot) to continue, it does so with the memory initialized in a default mode - a mode other than that detailed in the DIMM's SPDs. The fact that the system is stable afterwards (until you go through a full POST and it is again programmed according to the SPD contents) tells me that the instability comes from the use of the SPD settings. For example, the default settings may utilize additional wait states and this is enough of a difference for clean memory reads/writes to occur. This is something that is difficult to do without experience, but you could configure the BIOS so that memory configuration is manual and uses the default settings, not the settings in the DIMM's SPD. This is essentially the same trick being used by some folks who have 2400MHz memory that won't work; they configure for manual operation at the (2133MHz) defaults and everything then works ok. You can attempt this if you like...

...S

1 2 3 Previous Next