3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2016 4:13 PM by Intel Corporation

Flash edison in Ubuntu

AnteaterS

Hi there,

After struggling through yocto-image building process, I thought the hardest part has been passed... I was too naive... I should always keep "this is edison, failure is always an option" in mind.

My building computer is native ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Installed dfu-util already, the version is 0.8.

Then, running the flashing script generates the following error message of this:

sudo ./flashall.sh
      Password:

Using U-boot target: edison-blank

Now waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

Please plug and reboot the board

Device has DFU interface, but has no DFU functional descriptor

Cannot open DFU device 8087:0a99

On Edison side, it paused a bit then going to kernel boot as normal. I sincerely hope this is last bump on the road before having a fresh bitbaked image working on Edison. (I am still naive enough to hope this..... -_-!! ) 

Any suggestions are highly welcome. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Flash edison in Ubuntu
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Anteater,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Edison Platform.

We’re happy to know that you were able to build your Yocto image.  First, we would like to know if you are able to flash your Edison by downloading the pre-built Yocto complete image (Here you can find steps to download the image and flash it: Flashing the firmware on a system with Linux*), this is in order to discard issues with your build image.

Additionally, take a look at the following thread: https://communities.intel.com/thread/60643, there you can find several suggestions like try with different USB cables and reinstall Edison drivers.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
          -Yermi

• 2. Re: Flash edison in Ubuntu
            AnteaterS

Hi Yermi,

Thanks for replying.

Comments to your suggestions:  I tried with pre-compiled edison image, same error. Tried a few $5 to $1 usb cables, same error. Tried different ubuntu running laptop, same error. Tried powered usb hub, same error. External power source, same error. 

Then, on windows platform, flashing works fine, no problem with any above mentioned usb cables, no problem with any usb ports, no problem with pre-compiled image, and customized image.

In short, found a work around.  Thanks.

best,

• 3. Re: Flash edison in Ubuntu
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Anteater,

Thanks for sharing your workaround, we’re happy to know that works fine.

Regards,
              -Yermi