6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2017 11:26 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC5PPYH inductor whizzle, electronic whining caused by PSU

renegat

I bought a new Intel NUC5PPYH which is causing a very annoying high pitch noise (inductor whizzle, electronic whine) when in IDLE which is even louder than the fan! As I've determined it is caused by the PSU delivered with the NUC. The noise does happen on the NUCs mainboard but it depends on the PSU: I've testet several other PSUs and these FSP Group Switching Power Adapter FSP Model: '065-10AABA' is definetly the one to blame: The same issue appears with a NUC 5I5RYH which is shipped along with the same crappy wall plug PSU Model. I've extra tested directly on the plug socket without any other devices attaced which could have caused any interference. I assume this is related to the missing earthing equipment conductor of the jack. Using another PSU (e.g. FSP 036-RAB or FSP065-REBN2 from my D34010WYKH) and the whining and whisteling is totally gone. The NUC5PPYH is unusable with this nerve-racking sough when using this original delivered PSU!

Issue is OS independend.

Tested with different DDR3L RAM (Kingston / Micron) and with/without SSD.

BIOS is updated to the latest available version 0058 - PYBSWCEL.86A.0058.2016.1102.1842

• 1. Re: NUC5PPYH inductor whizzle, electronic whining caused by PSU
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello renegat,

I will be more than glad to assist you with your matter.

I would like to double check:

Have you tested another PSU and you have faced the same issue?
          Also, I would like to confirm if you have tried to connect your PSU to another Power Source?

Please try the previous steps, and let me know your findings.

Best regards,
          Angie

• 2. Re: NUC5PPYH inductor whizzle, electronic whining caused by PSU
            renegat

Thank you for the reply.

I tested the device with several other PSUs and the electronic whining - which is a known and well documented issue with nearly every NUC - varied from barely not noticable to extremely loud.

With the PSU originally delivered along with the NUC5PPYH it was loudest - it even predominated the fan!

I also tried other power sockets with the same result.

Meanwhile I've returned the NUC to the vendor and was refunded so the issue is closed for me.

Best regards;

Gerd

• 3. Re: NUC5PPYH inductor whizzle, electronic whining caused by PSU
              Intel Corporation

Hello renegat,

Thanks for your reply.

For what you have mentioned, you have been able to receive a refund for your NUC. I am glad to know that.

If you need further assistance at my end, or if you would like to close this thread please do not hesitate to let me know.

Hope I can hear from you soon.

Best regards,
              Angie

• 4. Re: NUC5PPYH inductor whizzle, electronic whining caused by PSU
                nadotu

I can confirm that nearly every NUC I've ever worked with (DN2820FYKH / D34010WYK / NUC5PPYH / NUC5I5RYH) had this annoying coil whining - some barely noticeable, some even louder than the fan!

For those who can hear it - particular younger people - it is extremely annoying.

Most annoying my NUC5I5RYH which is nearly screaming when in standby and under heavy graphics load.

First of all it seems to depend on standard dispersion among the NUCs how much a unit is affected.

One other heavy influence seems to have the power supply you use: The FSP PSUs which are delivered along with the NUCs make them whine louder while other power supplys reduce whining.

Also the use of multiple power plugs seem to have bad influence - especially if you use other AC adapters on it along with your NUC.

Try another power supply - some of my NUCs do whistle less with 12V input - others even more.

Using a foldable ferrit core on the power cable could also help a little bit.

There are also electronically stabilized power supplies which significantly reduce such coil whining - but they are very expensive.

At least you can wait until you are as old that you will not notice this high pitch noises anymore ;-)

• 5. Re: NUC5PPYH inductor whizzle, electronic whining caused by PSU
                  nadotu

Addenum:

I figured out that the replacing the PSU has the most positive influence to reduce this annoying coil/cpu whining!

The NUCs of the 4th generation (D34010/54250WYK) where delivered with brick type FSP PSU which where significant more quality-grade than the power-plug-type FSP065-10AABA which come along since NUC Gen.5.

My NUC5I5RYH went nearly silent by using a FSP090-DMBB1 now!

So please Intel: Please stop selling your NUCs along with this substandard thin-wired  PSU - and while we're on the subject:

What is this 90° plug on NUC side good for? A straight coaxial connector would be much more practical!

• 6. Re: NUC5PPYH inductor whizzle, electronic whining caused by PSU
                    Intel Corporation

Hello nadotu,

Thank you for your input. I have forwarded your feedback to the appropriate team.

For any new issues please create a new thread.

Best Regards,
                    JC