11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2017 5:17 PM by Intel Corporation

Swapping SSD between two Intel NUC6i5SYH

AlbertoQ

Hi all,

I have two Intel NUC6i5SYH. I installed one M.2 SSD on one of the NUC, installed Ubuntu 16.04 on it, and I tried then to use that SSD on the other NUC. However, the other NUC is not able to boot and this gives the following error "Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". Any idea what the problem could be? I checked on the BIOS that the SSD is actually recognized and that the M.2 slot is enabled.

Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: Swapping SSD between two Intel NUC6i5SYH
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

In regard to your inquiry, for testing purposes one of the things to try will be to use the F10 menu and select the SSD from there. Turn the NUC off, connect the SSD to it and turn it on, as soon as the NUC is starting up press F10 several times, you will get a menu with all the bootable devices, the SSD should be there and you just need to select it.

Also, we can try a BIOS update on the NUC to the latest version.

F7 method to do the BIOS update:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html

And this is the .BIO file needed for version 0055:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26499/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89190

Please try the steps above and let me know the results.

Any questions please let know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: Swapping SSD between two Intel NUC6i5SYH
            Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if the problem still persists or if it was resolved?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 3. Re: Swapping SSD between two Intel NUC6i5SYH
              AlbertoQ

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, and sorry for my delay, but I was traveling and doing some field trials with robots and sensors that used the mentioned Intel NUCs.

I had a chance to try the suggestions mentioned in the first reply and the problem still persists. Most likely this problem is related with the UEFI secure boot: even if the two NUCs are identical in terms of specifications, installing the OS on one does not allow to use it on another one. If I want to swap them, the easiest solution would be to disable the UEFI secure boot. Possibly there are other ways to do it in such a way that another system is allowed, but I haven't dug yet. Of course any suggestion is welcome.

Regards,

Alberto

• 4. Re: Swapping SSD between two Intel NUC6i5SYH
                Intel Corporation

Hello :

You are welcome, no problem at all.

Thank you very much for letting us know the results of trying the steps above.

Even if the UEFI secure boot is enable, you should be able to use the SSD on both NUCs since they have the same chipset and the SSD is recognize in the BIOS by both of them.

Now, make sure that the BIOS settings are the same on both NUCS.

Also, we know that a lot of NUC owners are using Ubunto successfully, but I just wanted to let you know that the tests that were performed by Intel were done using Windows. The reason why I am letting you know this information is because there might be a setting or some type of configuration that needs to be enable or done in Ubunto set up for the hot swap of the SSD to work between the NUCs.

Based on the information above, I just wanted to inform you that we will review this case in order to try to find a possible resolution for this issue.

In order for us to be able to do further research on this matter, please provide the information below:

On console mode:

With the user root (sudo) please go to the root directory:

In there please run:

dmidecode > nucinfo.txt

Please attach the nucinfo.txt report and any other additional information you considered important to this thread.

Also, for testing purposes, do you have the option to try this same method using Windows? This is just to verify how the NUCs behave with that operating system.

Regards

Alberto

• 5. Re: Swapping SSD between two Intel NUC6i5SYH
                  AlbertoQ

At the links the result of running the command you said on both NUCs (nucinfo_bb - Pastebin.com, nucinfo_gb - Pastebin.com). Note that one has not been updated yet (nucinfo_gb), but the hotswap was tested on the NUC with the updated BIOS. Note also that, not only the NUCs are identical, but also the RAM and the M.2 SSD are the same on both NUCs.

I will try to get my hands on a Windows CD to install it in a small partition of such SSDs in the next days and test it.

I really appreciate your help. If you need any other information let me know.

Regards,

Alberto

• 6. Re: Swapping SSD between two Intel NUC6i5SYH
                    Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for letting us know that information, we really appreciate that.

Please take your time in order to test the SSD with Windows, as soon as you get the chance, please provide the results of trying that because we might need to do further research on this matter.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto 

• 7. Re: Swapping SSD between two Intel NUC6i5SYH
                      AlbertoQ

Hello Alberto,

I tested the SSD with Windows 10 Home and the hotswap worked fine. So it seems to be related with Ubuntu. I will try next week to do further research.

Regards,

Alberto

• 8. Re: Swapping SSD between two Intel NUC6i5SYH
                        Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Excellent, it is great to hear that the NUC worked fine when using Windows, so as you mentioned above the problem seems to be related to Ununto itself.

Just to let you know, you can always visit the Linux forums in order to get further assistance with that operating system:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

Please let us know the results of the other tests you are going to do.

Regards

Alberto

• 9. Re: Swapping SSD between two Intel NUC6i5SYH
                          AlbertoQ

Hello Alberto,

I found a workaround solution for a single boot Ubuntu system (explanation can be found in the answer at the following link UEFI boot fails when cloning image to new machine - Ask Ubuntu). In particular, the following command should be run `sudo cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi ` (tested on Ubuntu 16.04).

I am trying to find an easy solution for a dual boot SSD with Ubuntu and Windows that does not involve using the boot repair; with such an SSD, Windows is always run on the another NUC. The workaround mentioned above does not work.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Best,

Alberto

• 10. Re: Swapping SSD between two Intel NUC6i5SYH
                            Intel Corporation

Hello :

Excellent, that is great to hear, thank you very for sharing that information in our communities, we really appreciate you took to the time to do that, and I am sure it will be very helpful for all the pees viewing this thread that are using Ubunto.

Since the tests done by Intel with the NUC were done using Windows, there is no documentation about dual boot using Windows and Ubunto, let me apologize for that.

From our side we did the best we could with the information we have available.

In this case, to get in contact with the Linux support forums will be a good option in order to get further details about the dual boot configuration, in there you will find different peers that might be using this configuration and they should be able to provide suggestions and options to make it work.

Regards

Alberto

• 11. Re: Swapping SSD between two Intel NUC6i5SYH
                              Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you, if you were able to get support from the Linux forums and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards

Alberto