Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14510 Discussions

Are Alienware's 15R4 and 17R4 with I7-6700HQ and I7-6820HK overheating ?

idata
Employee

I'd like to have a official answer from Intel's point of vue.

Until recently, Alienware's 15R3 and 17R4 laptops are known for heating issues.

When complaining about this issue with my 15R3 powered by I7-6820HK, here's their official answer : http://dell.to/2hM8vzv Alienware 15 R3 / 17 R4 Shutdown when playing games or during high CPU stress | Dell US

Does Intel agree with this:

Important:

Intel i7-6700HQ and i7-6820HK may reach 100 C on 1 or 2 cores without shutting down when overclocked.

In these 2 cases tempreature range is considered within specifications by Intel and will not be considered as overheating, if you have 3 or more cores exceeding the 97 C mark please contact support for assistance.

Interesting fact : DELL has changed the thermal pads' size to even thermal module's pressure on the CPU for newly delivered units and changed the thermal paste too. But they keep blaming Intel's processor for earlier units.

Here are my temps out of the box after a first run of 3DMark Time Spy Benchmark:

Is the CPU overheating ?

DELL says from Intel's point of view it is not.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi,

In this case, your best support will be your system manufacturer as they are more familiar with your system and how the components interact with each other.

The temperature for this processor is 100°C and the processor can work with this temperature without problems, if your system is overheating it will shutdown to prevent your system from any damage.

You can see the processor specifications here:

http://ark.intel.com/products/88969/Intel-Core-i7-6820HK-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz http://ark.intel.com/products/88969/Intel-Core-i7-6820HK-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

Now, if you are oveclocking the processor, please bear in mind that we don't support oveclocking because the processor will be running out of the specifications and overheating or any unstable behavior can happen.

If you are getting that information from Dell, then it is most likely accurate because they are more familiar with their systems configuration. If Dell is assuring that, perhaps they have tested that configuration but we cannot guarantee that.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank for your reply,

Ok, I thought those temps (97°C) were a bit "High" for a stock clocked processor with an advertised high end cooling system.

But if you say it isn't ... It's cool .

What about the core's temp discrepancy ? They were stressed with 8 Threads of OCCT workload and core 0 is 14° warmer than core 3. Is it ok ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, that is OK; usually the cores show different temperatures in all processors and that is expected behaviors.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, thanks.

I learned a lot. I thought 100°C was only fine to cook noodles and core temps discrepency the result of cooling system's flaws.

It looks like i was wrong, Intel's CPUs have really evolved a lot since the last decade.

Maybe CPU enthusiasts should rethink their usual recommandations about overheating and stuff don't you think ? Aspecially with all those soldered BGA products to come in the market.

Thanks anyway. At least, you answered.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are more than welcome!

I'm glad that the information provided has been useful for you.

Thank you for your feedback.

Best wishes,

Ivan.

0 Kudos