13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2017 4:25 PM by Intel Corporation

USB type-C connectivity.

DexLabs

Hi,

We experimented the Joule kit a few days ago.

I would like to know if it is possible to use the USB Type-C connection (USB 2.0) when the system (latest Ostro distro) is up and running. Is this connection only available for flashing the BIOS?

According to the schematics, the CPU have 2 available USB 2.0 connections. We would like to plug 2x USB 2.0 webcams without the use of a hub in order to avoid bandwidth issues.

Is it possible that I must set some BIOS settings? I tried without success.

Is it possible that I must use a USB-Type-C OTG adapter like this one : https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Macbook-Chromebook-OnePlus-Devices/dp/B00ZWN64RS

I tried to use it with the provided cable (Type-C to Type-A) inside the Joule kit with the use of a female TypeA-TypeA adapter and it is not working. I also tried to enable some BIOS setting regarding VBUS and still not working. Using this cable with a Gigabyte USB-TypeC port is also not working. No /dev/video* or any entry when doing lsusb.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Jérôme

• 1. Re: USB type-C connectivity.
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello DexLabs,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Joule™ Products.

I understand that you want to use the USB port Type C for other things besides flashing the BIOS. As you can see here https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/667851
          USB port (Type C), for flashing the BIOS. The Type C connection can also be used to access the development platform in device or host mode. Specifically, you can attach a USB drive to the Type C USB port using a USB Type A to USB Type C adapter, and use the USB drive to transfer files or flash the latest version of the Reference Linux* OS for IoT onto your development platform.

If you need further assistance don’t hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
          Andres

• 2. Re: USB type-C connectivity.
            DexLabs

Hi Andres,

Thanks for your response.

I want to use the Type-C connection in host mode, which means the Joule is the host and where I can plug any "device", i.e. webcam, to this specific port. I would like the USB-TypeC to act like the other USB-TypeA port. I do not want to use this port in device mode, where I can plug the board to a development platform.

Is it a possible use case for this board? Right now, it is not working.

Thanks,

Jérôme

• 3. Re: USB type-C connectivity.
              Intel Corporation

Hello DexLabs,

You mentioned that you don’t want to use a hub in order to avoid bandwidth issues. Have you already tried using a hub? Because depending on the application that you have in mind, using two USB webcams shouldn’t be an issue. 

I would recommend you to read more about the cameras that you have available, since some USB cameras don’t support more than one camera at the time (this is a driver issue). Also, sometimes the issue is more software related than hardware related, meaning that good coding can enable the use of more than two cameras. 

You said that you tried using the Type C to Type A cable that came with the Joule kit, and a female Type A to Type A adapter, could you send a picture of that setup?

Also, I didn’t understand if you what you tried was using the Type C to connect one camera (through the Type C to Type A cable), and the Type A USB port to connect the other camera. If you can send a picture of that setup I’ll really appreciate it, it may help us provide better assistance.

Regards,
              Andres

• 4. Re: USB type-C connectivity.
                Intel Corporation

Hello DexLabs,

I was wondering if you had the chance to check the suggestion provided.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact us through this community.

Regards,
                Andres

• 5. Re: USB type-C connectivity.
                  DexLabs

Hi Andres,

Sorry for the delay. I was in vacation until today.

Here is a picture of our setup.

IMG_0012.JPG

We would like to be able to detect the left camera on this system. We are using the provided Type-C to Type-A cable with a female-female USB adapter with a C930 webcam. For some reasons, the system fails to detect this camera. As you can see, these cameras are not identical.

We would like to stream two 1080p30 MJPEG video from these cameras at the same time. According to our tests, streaming two 1080p30 MJPEG video exceend the USB 2.0 bandwidth. This is why we do not want to use a hub, we would like to use two dedicated USB 2.0 port that do not share the same bandwidth.

Do you think there is something wrong with our setup? Connecting the left camera using the same connectivity to another computer (Gigabyte Brix S with USB Type-C) seems to work fine! The connectivity seems OK.

Do you think I should use a OTG USB type-C adapter?

Can you reproduce the setup on your side?

Thanks,

Jérôme

• 6. Re: USB type-C connectivity.
                    Intel Corporation

Hello DexLabs,

You mentioned that you tested the left camera on another computer, but, have you tried connecting both cameras to the same computer? I ask because, as I mentioned before, some USB cameras don’t support more than one camera at the time (be it same brand and/or model). And that is related to the camera driver. You should contact the manufacturer of the cameras, they may provide better assistance in that subject.

Unfortunately, I can’t reproduce the setup on my side because I only have access to one USB camera and I don’t have an OTG USB type-C adapter, and I don’t have access to a female-female connector.

Regards,
                    Andres

• 7. Re: USB type-C connectivity.
                      DexLabs

Yes, I tried both camera and they are working fine. I would be very surprised if it was a driver issue since I am using the same Linux distribution with same kernel as the joule.

Jérôme

• 8. Re: USB type-C connectivity.
                        Intel Corporation

Hello DexLabs,

I’ll be needing more time to come up with information that you may find relevant. As soon as I find something that may help solve your issue, I’ll contact you through this post.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
                        Andres

• 9. Re: USB type-C connectivity.
                          Intel Corporation

Hello DexLabs,

Sorry for the late response.

There are several things that we could conclude while performing some tests:
                          •    The USB type C port should auto-detect and switch to host mode.
                          •    We didn’t experience any issues when using a USB type C HUB.
                          •    We tested a web camera and saw the UVC driver load.
                          •    It’s important to use 12V/3A adapter to make sure the board has enough power.
                          I suggest to try using a USB-Type-C OTG adapter, although I can’t explicitly recommend the one you linked since I haven’t personally tried it.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
                          Andres

• 10. Re: USB type-C connectivity.
                            Intel Corporation

Hello DexLabs,

I was wondering if you had the chance to try the suggestion provided.

Regards,
                            Andres

• 11. Re: USB type-C connectivity.
                              DexLabs

Hi Andres,

I just tried with a OTG USB-C adapter our webcam and it just doesn't work. Nothing appears on /dev/video* path.

Same thing with USB flash drives.

Can you give me a picture of your *working* setup?

Thanks,

Jérôme

• 12. Re: USB type-C connectivity.
                                AndresV_Intel

Hello DexLabs,

Here is a picture of the Intel Joule USB type-C adapter with a Logitech camera.

IMG001-50.jpg

And here is a picture of the terminal when the camera is plugged and unplugged.

IMG002-80.jpg

I hope you find that information useful, if you have further questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Andres

• 13. Re: USB type-C connectivity.
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello DexLabs,

I was wondering if you found the previous pictures useful.

If you think you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
                                  Andres