Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Voltage offsets set using the Extreme Tuning Utility reset after sleep

DDarr1
Novice

I am using the Extreme Tuning Utility to lower the voltage offsets of the i7-7500U in my HP Spectre x360.

I have the offsets set as follows:

Core Voltage Offset: -0.095 V

Cache Voltage Offset: -0.095 V

Processor Graphics Voltage Offset: -0.105 V

Processor Graphics Media Voltage Offset: -0.105 V

I've tested these values for stability using FurMark and Prime95.

My problem is that all of these values reset to 0.000 V when I leave sleep or hibernate. XTU still shows the above offsets, but HWMonitor reports that they are all 0.000 V. I have to toggle between two different profiles to get my values back. The values are set properly after a full restart.

Does anyone know what I can do to have my settings persist after sleep/hibernate? Thanks.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DDarr1
Novice

After further experimentation, it appears that these values are too low. I tested this by setting all offsets to -0.005 V, hibernating, then starting back up. This offset value persists after exiting from hibernate, so I guess I will try to find the lowest value that doesn't reset after hibernate.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BleuThree:

In regard to your inquiry, I just wanted to let you know that I tested the XTU tool with the NUC Skull Canyon, and I set it up with the same values you did, save the profile and then apply it.

After that I put the NUC to sleep mode, I wake it up and the values on XTU still remain the same.

Remember that the XTU tool gets the values directly from the BIOS, and if you use 3rd party tools like FurMark and Prime95 they might have misreading and the information showing might not be that accurate.

Now, as you mentioned, it seems to be that values you tried first are too low based on the fact that it works fine when you use -0.005 V.

Could you please provide a screen shoot of where you see the voltage in 0.000 on FurMark and Prime95?

Any questions please let know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
DDarr1
Novice

Hi, Alberto,

Thanks for your response. I was reading the voltage offsets from HWMonitor, not from Prime95 nor FurMark. I read them from the Value column under Intel Core i7 Voltages as seen in the screenshot below.

The offsets currently shown are the lowest ones that doesn't reset to zero after hibernate or sleep.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BleuThree:

Thank you very much for providing that picture, it is very useful for us.

Still, HWMonitor is a 3rd party tool and just like the other two tools you mentioned before it might have misreadings on some values, specially the voltage that it fluctuates on the processor and it is not a stable value.

So, as long as the XTU tool keeps showing those values it means that the processor voltage is running that way, even if the other tools are not reflecting that.

Also, remember that normally we do not recommend to change the voltage on the processor, since it might cause to it or to the rest of the components on the system.

Any other question or if you need further assistance, please let me know.

Alberto
0 Kudos
DDarr1
Novice

As far as I know, HWMonitor is constantly reading sensors. When I apply a change in XTU, it appears immediately in the Value column.

Also, after I observe a reset of the voltage offsets, when I do a full restart of the system, XTU will report that the default and proposed values are back to zero.

I appreciate your concern about changing the voltage of the processor, but my laptop gets considerably hot during normal use, so I am prepared to experiment to find lower voltage offsets that can be used stably. As I understand, decreasing voltage poses no direct harm to components. I have done this before on previously laptops I owned. I have no desire to increase the operating voltage from the base value.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BleuThree:

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

I tried to replicate the issue with the Microsoft® Surface book, and actually I was able to replicate part of the problem.

I set up XTU with the values mentioned above, put it to sleep and then wake it up and the values remains the same on Hardware monitoring tool and on XTU as well, so that part was not replicated.

But the part when you reset the laptop and it gets freeze was replicated, it did the same thing, it got freeze and then I needed to turn it off manually, then I got the message that if I was using a watchdog timer application that tool may have been reset the XTU value to default settings, as you can see on the pictures below:

This is a screen shot where it shows both tools with default values:

This is a screen shot where it shows both tools with the values you provide on the first post:

And this is the error message that I get once I tried to restart the laptop using those same values:

So, it seems to be as you mentioned before that depending on the values on the XTU the laptop might be able to work properly or in some cases it will get freeze and the watchdog tool will reset the XTU values to defaults, so this scenario is actually expected.

As an option at this point, the best thing to do will be to get in contact with the manufacturer of the laptop either to get technical or warranty assistance in regard to the overheating problem, or to check if there is a different work around in order to fix this problem.

If you have more questions or if you need further assistance from our side, please let me know.

Alberto
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BleuThree:

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if there is anything else that I can assist you with?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
DDarr1
Novice

HI, Alberto,

Thanks for conducting some testing. I am still experimenting with optimal offset values at this time by trying to use them for long periods and increasing the offset if they reset. I don't experience any crashes with my current values (core/cache voltage offset: -0.070 V, graphics / graphics media offset: -0.045 V). Sometimes only the graphics offsets reset, in which case I will only increase values toward zero by a step.

As for getting warranty support, overheating isn't really a problem at the default offsets; nothing crashes or anything. I'm just trying improve the processor performance and energy usage and reduce fan noise by reducing its need to throttle down and increase cooling due to temperature.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BleuThree:

Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

Perfect, not a problem, take all the time you need to try those tests, if the laptop is not crashing it is a good sign that it should be working properly.

If you have further questions about this matter, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BleuThree:

I just wanted to check if you have more questions or if you need further assistance on this subject?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
DDarr1
Novice

Thank you, Alberto. That is all I have for now. I will be sure to ask if something else comes up.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BleuThree:

You are welcome.

Perfect, thank you very much.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate on contact us again.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos