Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Yet another OGL 3.2 question

idata
Employee

My graphics laptop is was bought Feb 2013 for GBP £ 2400 and it seems it might be

irretrievably obsolete because a 3D printing application requires OpenGL 3.2 or greater.

My system is about 2012-3 Intel® Core™ i7 2720 2.20GHz (3.30GHz, 6MB, DMI) 4C/8T

Processor Memory: 16GB (4x 4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Memory Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K3000M - 2GB High-End Mobile Workstation Graphics (576x Cores);Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, Driver Vers 9.17.10.4229 Nov 2016

The err msg is that 3.2 is required and the log msg when trying to import an STL file is "GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 not supported."

I mean i don't have to any very heavy stuff here, just load 10,000 black and white slices of a

3d model into a printer. It looks like for the sake of one shader -

I'm stuck, is that the case; or is there a workaround?

OK Intel have to stop supporting stuff sometime but blowing £2400 is quite a sum when I see on Wikipedia

that the graphics card itself can support 4.5 ??? (NVIDIA Quadro K3000M)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units# Quadro_.28Kx000M.29_series List of Nvidia graphics processing units - Wikipedia

Here are the computer requirements for the 3D printer:

"Operating system

64-bit Windows 7 Service Pack 1,

64-bit Windows 8.1, or

64-bit Windows 10 Version 1607 or later Version.

A desktop computer that's capable of driving a secondary extra display at 1920 X 1080 pixels 1080p Full HD, with an HDMI cable.

A USB port on the desktop computer to connect with the Octave Light R1.

At least 8 GB RAM on the desktop computer.

It is recommended to have 16 GB RAM, if people enjoy 3D printing a large number of complicated and high resolution 3D models.

A graphic card that supports OpenGL version 3.2 or above.

There is the kicker. The graphics card spec on Wikipedia says it supports OGL 4.1

The 3D printer requires that a computer is connected to it for the whole print time.

The computer thinks that the Optical Engine inside the Octave Light R1 is a secondary display,

that is connected with an HDMI cable"

I have read the threads about 3000 series processor limitations but this is 1 shader that the application needs with a price tag of $3,000!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Install recent Quadro driver, latest is http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/113024/en-us 376.33

open NVIDIA control panel

go to 3D settings

select NVIDIA as globally preferred processor

create an application profile for your 3d printing app, select NVIDIA as preferred processor again

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Install recent Quadro driver, latest is http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/113024/en-us 376.33

open NVIDIA control panel

go to 3D settings

select NVIDIA as globally preferred processor

create an application profile for your 3d printing app, select NVIDIA as preferred processor again

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Stefan,

Thank you. I had just about done that when you replied and it works. I should have realised this was the answer before.

Gary

0 Kudos