2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2016 1:52 PM by qwerty3

Yet another OGL 3.2 question

qwerty3

My graphics laptop is was bought Feb 2013 for GBP £ 2400 and it seems it might be

irretrievably obsolete because a 3D printing application requires OpenGL 3.2 or greater.

My system is about 2012-3 Intel® Core™ i7 2720 2.20GHz (3.30GHz, 6MB, DMI) 4C/8T

Processor Memory: 16GB (4x 4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Memory Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K3000M - 2GB High-End Mobile Workstation Graphics (576x Cores);Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, Driver Vers 9.17.10.4229 Nov 2016

The err msg is that 3.2 is required and the log msg when trying to import an STL file is    "GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 not supported."

I mean i don't have to any very heavy stuff here, just load 10,000 black and white slices of a

3d model into a printer. It looks like for the sake of one shader -

I'm stuck, is that the case; or is there a workaround?

OK Intel have to stop supporting stuff sometime but blowing £2400 is quite a sum when I see on Wikipedia

that the graphics card itself can support 4.5 ???    (NVIDIA Quadro K3000M)

List of Nvidia graphics processing units - Wikipedia

Here are the computer requirements for the 3D printer:

"Operating system

64-bit Windows 7 Service Pack 1,

64-bit Windows 8.1, or

64-bit Windows 10 Version 1607 or later Version.

A desktop computer that's capable of driving a secondary extra display at 1920 X 1080 pixels 1080p Full HD, with an HDMI cable.

A USB port on the desktop computer to connect with the Octave Light R1.

At least 8 GB RAM on the desktop computer.

It is recommended to have 16 GB RAM, if people enjoy 3D printing a large number of complicated and high resolution 3D models.

A graphic card that supports OpenGL version 3.2 or above.

There is the kicker. The graphics card spec on Wikipedia says it supports OGL 4.1

The 3D printer  requires that a computer is connected to it for the whole print time.

The computer thinks that the Optical Engine inside the Octave Light R1 is a secondary display,

that is connected with an HDMI cable"

I have read the threads about 3000 series processor limitations but this is 1 shader that the application needs with a price tag of $3,000!