5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2017 10:26 AM by Intel Corporation

The intel graphics driver hd 5500 for i3 5th gen has a serious bug which increases the consumption of processor in laptops.

Manav_Shakya

I have a hp laptop.I tried manufacturer customised as well as generic intel driver but to no avail.The power consumption of gt core remains around 1 watt for no reason after bootup,i have to manually disable graphics adapter in device manager and then re-enable it as a solution.Earlier my battery lasted 3.5 hours but after doing this i get around 5 hours at most,which is a decent advantage.Also,the heat buildup is less.down 5 degrees in my case in normal runnings and no laggings which i saw earlier.

But i need a permanent solution, intel has not released the fixture for this bug till now.I have changed OS twice of different windows environments and saw the same bug.I have intel i3 5005U processor in my laptop.Till now i have seen this problem in other laptops with same processors.So cant comment on other varients in 5th gen of i3.

Plz give some solution for it.intel_admin

• 1. Re: The intel graphics driver hd 5500 for i3 5th gen has a serious bug which increases the consumption of processor in laptops.
          Stefan3D

Looks like a very specific issue which doesn't appear with i5-5200U (comes also with HD 5500) in my rig.

If you like to compare our SoC go to ARK | Compare Intel® Products

Main difference is missing Turbo boost technology on i3

How do you track power consumption? With GPU-Z?

Did you check for BIOS updates at HP?

• 2. Re: The intel graphics driver hd 5500 for i3 5th gen has a serious bug which increases the consumption of processor in laptops.
            Manav_Shakya

Yes,i am using HWmonitor by CPUZ.My bios is fully updated.It seems that the gt core remains loaded after the bootup with some garbage instructions.If you had nvidia or other graphics card,there would have been 0 power consumption in this core.Also other models with same configuration have this problem,i tried intel generic driver but this remained same.The driver is not clearing up the boot time processing from gt core perhaps.

The fallout from this bug is that the system runs hotter,lagging in 1080 graphics and more power consumption.(1.5-2 hours drop in battery life on full charge).

Below are the snips of solution which i follow.I disable graphics in device manager and then re-enable them.snip1.JPGsnip2.jpgsnip4.JPG

Also notice the drop in uncore power consumption.intel_adminStefan3D

• 3. Re: The intel graphics driver hd 5500 for i3 5th gen has a serious bug which increases the consumption of processor in laptops.
              Stefan3D

Just an idea to avoid fiddling with device manager: try Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)

Do a minor tweak, save profile and reboot.

Hopefully the XTU service resets iGPU at the right time. No guarantee though...

• 4. Re: The intel graphics driver hd 5500 for i3 5th gen has a serious bug which increases the consumption of processor in laptops.
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Stefan3D, thanks for your assistance.

To: Manav_Shakya

Hello Manav_Shakya,

Please let me know if the suggestion of Stefan3D was able to assist you with your matter?

If the issue persists, could you please reply with the following information:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

CategoryQuestionsAnswers (N/A if not applicable)
                DescriptionProvide a detailed description of the issue 
                Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%):
                   Often (51-99%):
                   Sporadic (20-50%):
                   Very Sporadic (<20%):
                Hardware (HW)Brand and Model of the system. 
                Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
                   ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
                   LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                   EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below). 
                Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
                   ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below). 
                Software (SW)Operating System version (see note2 below). 
                VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”. 
                Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below). 
                SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue. 
                ConfigurationsSingle display, clone, or extended (see note2 below). 
                Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below). 
                AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not? 
                How to reproPlease provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
                   A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
                Angie

• 5. Re: The intel graphics driver hd 5500 for i3 5th gen has a serious bug which increases the consumption of processor in laptops.
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Manav_Shakya,

Please let me know if the suggestion of Stefan3D was able to assist you with your matter?

If the issue persists, could you please reply with the following information:

CategoryQuestionsAnswers (N/A if not applicable)
                  DescriptionProvide a detailed description of the issue 
                  Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%):
                     Often (51-99%):
                     Sporadic (20-50%):
                     Very Sporadic (<20%):
                  Hardware (HW)Brand and Model of the system. 
                  Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
                     ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
                     LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                     EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below). 
                  Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
                     ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below). 
                  Software (SW)Operating System version (see note2 below). 
                  VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”. 
                  Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below). 
                  SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue. 
                  ConfigurationsSingle display, clone, or extended (see note2 below). 
                  Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below). 
                  AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not? 
                  How to reproPlease provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
                     A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
                  Angie